GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,858 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First playthrough, just making sure I did it right rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I sat down tonight and played my first game of Arkham Horror the Card Game and actually breezed through it. Having played quite a bit of Arkham titles before, I was expecting to get crushed. Maybe I just got lucky draws?

I played solo, Roland Banks, with the suggested deck build. In my starter hand I got Dr. Milan Christopher and played him, then successfully Investigated twice for clues and was able to advance the Act card and get myself to the Hallway. During this first Mythos phase I got Crypt Chill and used Guts to add 2 Willpower and pass without damage.

Next turn: On up to the Attic where I took my 1 horror then with Dr. Christopher's help investigated twice successfully. Next Mythos I got Ancient Evils and advanced the Agenda deck.

Next turn: Two moves to head into the cellar. I took 1 damage then investigated using Deduction to buff my skill and passed, gaining an extra clue with the Deduction card. I couldn't advance the Act deck due to being in the cellar. I picked up Dissonant Voices on the Mythos phase.

Next turn: I moved back to the hallway and ended the round, playing 3 clues to break down the barrier and reveal the Parlor. (Question at this point: when you reveal the parlor, you are still in the hallway, so the Ghoul Priest spawns engaged with you, but since its the end of the round [the objective requirement on the Act 2a card] it doesn't get to attack, correct?). On this mythos turn I drew Mysterious Chanting and since I didn't have any cultists in play went through the deck and pulled the first one (Acolyte) who Spawns: In any empty location, and dropped him in the cellar.

Next turn: I dropped Dr. Christopher and played Guard dog, then Roland's .38. I attacked once and hit for 1 damage. The ghoul priest attacked and I gave the damage to the dog, which caused 1 point of return damage on the Ghoul Priest, but drove the dog insane and passed 1 horror to me. Mythos got me Obscuring Fog.

Final turn: The Ghoul Priest already had two damage. I had 2 as well. I also had Dynamite Blast and with Roland's high health just used that to blow the Priest up, concluding the Act cards.

As I said, I am used to getting beat to hell by Arkham games and just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Any comments appreciated, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt O

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an easy time with the 1st scenario too (with Roland), but ultimately failed the 3rd. The second two should be harder than the first.

Also, if you use the other investigators, those will be harder to do solo.

Were you playing on standard difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ghoul Priest engages you when it spawns. When you played Guard Dog and the .38 it would have gotten attacks of opportunity. The next turn it would get another attack of opportunity when you played the dynamite blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I was thinking of posting a similar thread.

I played two player, on standard difficulty, with my 13 y/o son, and it was mostly straightforward (Roland and Wendy).

Glad to know that we're in for it when we do scenario 2 (hopefully Sunday!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
The Ghoul Priest engages you when it spawns. When you played Guard Dog and the .38 it would have gotten attacks of opportunity. The next turn it would get another attack of opportunity when you played the dynamite blast.

All of that.. plus in the first scenario there are no cultists or mysterious chanting, you may have built your encounter deck wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small point but the way you write your play through it makes it sound like the Mythos Phase is happening at the end of the Round after your Actions. It happens before Actions, at the start of the Round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaan Qualrus
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jhwedmd wrote:
On this mythos turn I drew Mysterious Chanting and since I didn't have any cultists in play went through the deck and pulled the first one (Acolyte) who Spawns: In any empty location, and dropped him in the cellar.

There should be no Mysterious Chanting nor Acolyte in the encounter deck for the first scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have pointed out, it sounds like you made a number of mistakes both in gameplay and how you set the scenario up.

IIRC, the Team Covenant GenCon Demo video does a good job of covering the basic rules:

And I'm sure there are videos available now that step through setup for the first scenario.

Otherwise, give it another go, and make sure you follow the step-by-step instructions in the Learn To Play book, and reread the rules overview in there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it sounds like I messed up a bunch of stuff. I'll have to look back through and see where I did.

Thanks for all the feedback. I knew I must have screwed up since Arkham didn't smack me around like usual.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I admire you for being willing to post to learn from the responses, Jhwedmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually didn't mess up that much. Just really the Attack of Opportunity rules, so you should look that up, and then what Evade does, because you'll be much happier knowing.

You did build the encounter deck wrong as well, but even if you didn't your outcome may have been similar. That first scenario is pretty straightforward and Roland should be able to blast his way through it.

Now play it again, and head on through the other two scenarios! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's very definitely an intro scenario, so don't expect it to automatically kick your ass, I got through it solo with Roland pretty easily. It was more trouble with 3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I got what to do with successfully investigated location cards with Victory Points on them, do I collect them in my victory display as soon as I successfully complete one (having taken the last clue off)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Not sure I got what to do with successfully investigated location cards with Victory Points on them, do I collect them in my victory display as soon as I successfully complete one (having taken the last clue off)?

Leave them in play until you reach a scenario resolution, then collect up any that have no clues on them and add them to the victory display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Leave them in play until you reach a scenario resolution, then collect up any that have no clues on them and add them to the victory display.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

So frustrating in Midnight Masks "That Victory 1 you're standing on with Shroud pumped up? Yeah, go ahead and drop all the Clues you're holding, leave them here,"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm thinking about, why are some of the locations in Arkham Woods not have clues added but still have "Shroud" numbers?

What's the benefit for using an action to investigate a location that's not going to give you clues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Since I'm thinking about, why are some of the locations in Arkham Woods not have clues added but still have "Shroud" numbers?

What's the benefit for using an action to investigate a location that's not going to give you clues?

Locations may gain clues by other means (e.g. Investigator elimination), or you may have reason to investigate a location other than to gain clues (e.g. Burglary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Locations may gain clues by other means (e.g. Investigator elimination), or you may have reason to investigate a location other than to gain clues (e.g. Burglary).

Oh, okay, that makes sense and I did think of that after I posted this but now I know for sure!
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Clues could appear there later, triggered by some other card (perhaps already printed, perhaps some not yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.