Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
First things first. A well made game, with attractive components. The cards are plastic coated, and large enough to handle easily. The lack of "money" and "honor" tokens is very disappointing. However, the game is basically printed in a red/black theme, so several boxes of checkers did the trick.

OK, on to the important stuff. Ninja Burger is about the operation of a fast food franchise (say that 3 times fast!) It is your job, as a Ninja, to deliver meals to the customer, without being seen. To accomplish this, is to bring Honor to your franchise. The ultimate goal is to gain enough Honor to be promoted to Branch Manager, and win the game.

This is a cool theme, and much humor is derived from it. However, this game is all theme, theme, and more theme. Take away the theme, and all you're left with is dice, dice, and more dice. Player interaction is minimal, so when it's your turn, you sit and watch someone else role dice. (whee.) This gets old at near lightspeed. Once you've seen most of the cards, the humor wears off. Once that happens, you really do wish you were a Ninja, so you could sneak off without being seen.

Replayability is very limited in this game. I've played it exactly twice, and my enjoyment has dropped exponentially. I can't really ever see myself playing this again, unless at gunpoint. More player interaction would improve it to a degree, but when all you're doing is rolling dice, the point of the game gets lost in the tedium. I would reccommend a "Pass" on this game, but that's just my opinion FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogzard
Would it make it more interesting to make a house rule where one could select a different Ninja every time a mission came up? Since each players gets three Ninja to choose from at the beginning of the game, depending on the mission, one could select a different more appropriate ninga to the task. After all if I have a delivery service some areas are better known by one delivery person than others.

Also is there another way to work the fortune card deck? There may be some mechanics that can be added to modify the game, restore the fun, and lessen the dependence on die rolls.

I concur with the number of dice roll being excessive. But given that it was so much fun initially, are there other rules that can be changed and incorporated to make it more playable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the group you play with. When we played we made a lot of ninja noises and laughed as we figured out the intricate details of the missions.

Theme Heavy yes, but that is what makes this work. I wouldn't play it if it was Vichy French Burger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are good ideas, but they don't address the core issue, player interaction. It's just not fun to sit and watch someone else roll dice. Believe me, I want to like this game, but if I want to roll dice, I can just play Yachtzee. (God, no!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noooooooo! Not Yahtzee! So what are the opportunities I have with Ninja Burger that I do not have with Yahtzee?

It seems there are two challenges here

1) Moving the game away from the over dependence on dice
2) Increasing the fun player interaction

I can see that one way to build interaction would be to bring the "fun" into it by talking it up and playing it out with the noises and hacks and slashes from old kung fu thrillers. In that sense one will only get out of the game what one puts into it. So this is no ordinary filler, it would have to be a chosen one when people are slap happy, in a good mood, intoxicated, or all three. Since we do not drink and game it would have to be two of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
El Hidalgo wrote:
So what are the opportunities I have with Ninja Burger that I do not have with Yahtzee?

It seems there are two challenges here

1) Moving the game away from the over dependence on dice
2) Increasing the fun player interaction

If honorable geek enjoys the theme of ninja burger but wishes to enjoy it in the company of others with only a minumum of dice-dependence, then said geek will be pleasantly surprised by purchase of the orignal franchise product!

I give you
http://www.ninjaburger.com/rpg/
Ninjaburger, the RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
I think it depends on the group you play with. When we played we made a lot of ninja noises and laughed as we figured out the intricate details of the missions.

Ooh yes, who you play it with makes a huge difference. The far and away best session of this we played with was old roleplaying friends. We weren't deliberately hamming it up, but it just came naturally with that group. Fell somewhat flat with a different group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
Quote:

Theme Heavy yes, but that is what makes this work. I wouldn't play it if it was Vichy French Burger.

'Ninja noises'?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Central Scrutinizer
United States
Dublin (Columbus)
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The expansion to Ninja Burger (Sumo Size Me) increases player interaction through Fortune cards that allow you to set additional tasks for the other ninjas to complete before finishing their missions. That definately increases the involvement when it's not your turn. Additionally, in every group I've played this with, there is also a lot of selling/trading of equipment with other players (which I'm pretty sure is within the rules), so I've not seen the problem you're having.

At its base though, this IS a light, theme-based game, where some of the fun is from visualizing delivering burgers to places like Cyberspace and Area 51...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randougall wrote:
OmegaDolphin wrote:
Quote:

'Ninja noises'?!?

Well you know...the type of noises you usually hear right before the ninja kills you. Or any sound effects from old kung fu movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Interesting Web Site with fun ancillary products.

So am I to understand that this was first a tongue in cheek RPG before it became the card game??? Bares more looking into. Maybe there are ideas, mechanics, and structures in the RPG that would make the card game better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.