Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to make custom game accessories, such as acrylic board overlays, as a small sideline and I'm trying to figure out if I can advertise to other BGG members. I value my membership here and do not want to be a bad apple.

First, let me note it I will sell through the Geek Market so BGG will get their 3% commission.

Normal advertising is probably not appropriate because (1) it's not in my budget and (2) it's not targeted to owners of the specific games.

Questions:
1. Can I simply make a posting in the "general" section of the game forums? My inclination is no, that would be considered SPAM, though I've found similar examples searching the forums.

2. How about a Geeklist with entries by game name? This should trigger subscriptions for those games. I'd probably want edit the entries (bump them) once a month or so to retrigger subscriptions.

3. Anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My observation

2. A lot of people turn off geeklist-triggered game subscriptions because of the "noise" generated by humourous or personal lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
The community rules say, "Promoting goods or services in which you have a personal stake is not permitted". Also, "A new product or service relevant to the topic of this site may be announced in a single post in the Press Releases forum. Contact the Community Manager if you have questions about if your post is appropriate."

For me personally, I've found occasional auctions are a good way to get my dice bags out there. Auctions have some built in places you can mention them GeekList auction. Also, you might look into things like Games for Geekgold - that has a lot of eyeballs - as well as the Supporter Drive Rummage-O-Rama going on now, and the Vasel auction next year.

You can keep a marketplace listing up while you have stock on hand, as well - if people go to your profile, they can click the link and see what you have for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question - thanks for asking rather than just posting.

1. Can I simply make a posting in the "general" section of the game forums? My inclination is no, that would be considered SPAM, though I've found similar examples searching the forums.

No. This would be considered spam as it would create hundreds if not thousands of false notification for other users, and would break the rules on promotion.

2. How about a Geeklist with entries by game name? This should trigger subscriptions for those games. I'd probably want edit the entries (bump them) once a month or so to retrigger subscriptions.

This would have to be set up as a 'Geeklist Auction' and you'd need to check the particular box listing it as a such. 'Bumping' threads/geeklists isn't something thats encouraged.

Here's what you can do:

1. You can promote/advertise in Press Releases (this can include an off-site link or a link to your items for sale)

2. You can sell via the Marketplace and Geeklist Auctions (usual 3% commission).
Example: CLOSED - indigopotter's handmade dice bag auction - Gift wrap available! - US only - shipping from NY 12790 - ends Wednesday Nov. 9, 2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.