Subject: worth buying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Griffith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I can read the rules online, make my own hexes, and use risk pieces. so is it really worth it to buy this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it is worth buying.

Go to the website and read the designer's story about bringing this game to life. It has been a labor of love for him and I doubt he's seeing much profit off of it.

Viktory II is a fun game. Buy a copy, support the designer, and maybe he'll continue to make fun games.

If you are concerned about the price I suppose you could make a homebrew copy to test drive the game. But really ... just buy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Griffith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
the combat sounds lame. say you have 20 infantry and your opponent has 1 infantry, 1 cavalry, and one artillery. he gets more dice than you. that sounds pretty dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
usmc07 wrote:
the combat sounds lame. say you have 20 infantry and your opponent has 1 infantry, 1 cavalry, and one artillery. he gets more dice than you. that sounds pretty dumb.

It's actually very well thought out and plays incredibly well. In your scenario (which would never happen since it's nigh impossible to get 20 infantry), one player could take 20 hits and the other only 3.

Viktory II is a very good game. Buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Harrisville
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Paul "support the designer." Don't just make your own game after he has put in many hours of hard work, thats pretty lame if you ask me. I think the game is great by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
usmc07 wrote:

Sounds like you've already rendered your judgment. Don't buy it and move on. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Griffith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I mean it looks promising, but I'm not going to throw away $60 for a game that won't even be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usmc07 wrote:
I mean it looks promising, but I'm not going to throw away $60 for a game that won't even be fun.

What was the point of this thread? To make yourself look like a d*ck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
usmc07 wrote:

What was the point of this thread? To make yourself look like a d*ck?

If it walks like a d*ck and quacks like a d*ck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
He's still got a money back guarantee if you don't like it. You've got nothing to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Griffith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
relax it's a simple question. oh, by the way, spell out the whole word you loser. astricks piss me off because you are too much of a wuss just to type it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's keep it frosty here, people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my full set shipped over to the UK from the US ... came ot at almost twice the price ... and it was still worth it.

A very good game, lots of thinking, risk analysis, fun, and NOT a dicefest.

I would certainly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
starkeyboy
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeffrey, like you I'm contemplating this game, as well as several other "high price games with nice bits" like Battlelore, Tide of Iron, War of the Ring, Marvel Heroes, and Age of Empires III. I'm on a budget (perhaps like you?) and can't have 'em all, so each purchase represents a serious investment.

What I would do is ask yourself 1) if there's another game that "scratches the same itch" that you already own or is cheaper, and 2) will your game group play/enjoy this type of game?

I classify Viktory II as a step up from Risk and Axis and Allies (old version) both of which I'm burnt out on. But I just recently got Nexus Ops (which is much cheaper) and we're having fun with it for the time being, so Viktory is on hold.

It really depends on what your group likes, what you have at your disposal, and how much variety you want in your collection. The 'Geek is the best resource to help with some of thesse questions

Hope this helps,
Starkeyboy

p.s. You can't beat a money back guarentee, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Griffith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
nice ideas. thanks for the help. I'm only 13 so yeah I'm kinda on a budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usmc07 wrote:
relax it's a simple question. oh, by the way, spell out the whole word you loser. astricks piss me off because you are too much of a wuss just to type it out.

And

usmc07 wrote:
I'm only 13...

All this from a "BGG NEWUSER" that just registered on May 28th? Not a very good start into this community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many helpful reviews and session reports you could read that will have more info than a couple forum replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usmc07 wrote:
I'm only 13 so yeah I'm kinda on a budget.

I would NOT have guessed that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bowling
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
usmc07 wrote:
I can read the rules online, make my own hexes, and use risk pieces. so is it really worth it to buy this?

It is pretty pricey, but as this GeekList (#7 on the list) testifies, the price is reasonable for what you are getting. Tons of good hexes and high quality minis. There is a video demo of the game online somewhere too if you are wondering about how gameplay proceeds.

If you like light wargames with an element of chance and a lot of interesting strategic decisions, Viktory II is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Griffith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
rbowling wrote:
usmc07 wrote:

It is pretty pricey, but as this GeekList (#7 on the list) testifies, the price is reasonable for what you are getting. Tons of good hexes and high quality minis. There is a video demo of the game online somewhere too if you are wondering about how gameplay proceeds.

If you like light wargames with an element of chance and a lot of interesting strategic decisions, Viktory II is a great game.

see this is the kind of stuff I want when I post a forum. not somebody ripping on me about "ruining a mans dream" or something. quality help. thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if anyone has a link to the video, that would be swell.

this game does sound interesting but it's a bit of a stretch from what my group normally plays for me to impulse buy.

cheers.
-
j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find the videos on this page of the designer's website, James:

http://www.viktorygame.com/owners.htm

I will reiterate what rbowling said, you get a bunch of pieces for the money, and a fun game to boot.

That is, if you enjoy a game that requires a bit of thought and tosses in a bit of luck. And if you enjoy smashing your friend's armies into oblivion when you play games with them. Or getting smashed down yourself.

Alternately, Peter Morrison has given his game some longevity (and shorter playtime) by including other Victory conditions you can choose from that do not require the game to last until only one player remains standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usmc07 wrote:
see this is the kind of stuff I want when I post a forum. not somebody ripping on me about "ruining a mans dream" or something. quality help. thanks

Don't worry, kid, you won't be burdened with my advice again in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
I had my full set shipped over to the UK from the US ... came ot at almost twice the price ... and it was still worth it.

A very good game, lots of thinking, risk analysis, fun, and NOT a dicefest.

I would certainly recommend it.

Any chance of bringing it back to Leighton Buzzard David? I'm curious about it, but would like to try it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usmc07 wrote:
... I'm only 13 ...

Im going out on a limb here ... but ... I dont believe you.

USMC???

... and judging from your writing, you write better than some college students I've known ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.