I am playing the entire campaign, with the Allied subs option. I am two weeks into March, 1942. Here are my numbers:
(IJN Variant Used)
*25 ships sunk
*With Dutch: 127,000 tons with 29 ships
*Subs Lost: 4 + 1 Scuttled
*1 dd sunk + 1 CI Class Jap sub sunk (allegedly...see below)
*War event/s: Aleutian Campaign just began
Am I doing something wrong? I had a really lucky week in December where I got 30k tons on one ship (tonnage doubled), but other than that, I have been completely terrible. I understand the game is about managing frustrations, but this is getting crazy. I had one week tonight where I lost two subs, got no ships and had all but 6 subs gain RTB status.
My strategy has been primarily to JUST SINK SOMETHING. The -2 torpedo penalty sucks major donkey...uh...well it just sucks. So, I want to try and get it lowered. But I mean, right now, getting 80 sinkings seems as likely as, like, a trip to the moon or a roll in tbe sack with Jenna Haze and Tori Black. For starters, I'm keeping a log on all ships, which is fun. I like being a manager. Can I make it so a Super Skipper is made when I get 3 ships + 18k in TOTAL? It seems impossible!
I made my 90k requirement by 1 lucky S-boat on my last role in February. Then I read on here guys are getting decisive victories. HOW THE FUDGE?
Tacticically, what hints can you guys give me? I am starting in column A, but the subs with a tactical rating of 4 almost always draw a DD in that columN. DO I HAVE to use all four of the tactical rating or can I just draw two ships, say?
Second, Column B has abouta 1/3 chance of being a DD for any draw. I try and avoid the 25-30k ships in column D because it's impossible to sink them even if you do hit them.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the game, and I want to play Germany Steel Wolves game next because I know I'll fail by May...but this will sum up my frustrations.
1. I have ULTRA in the Solomons. Good, only way I can't get ships is if I roll a 1...I should get SOMETHING. I have four ships in there.
2. Two of them I roll a 1 with.
3. Next sub, Skipjack, misses on a 0-6 cake shot that had tonnage doubled. I try and 2nd attack...and draw four DD, and get sunk.
4. I roll a zero. I re-roll for loner/sub. Roll another zero. Sub.
5. Draw the 3t CI class sub.
6. I have advantage.
7. TDC of -3...cake shot! It could be!
8. Roll a zero, a hit! It might be
9. Damage roll: 9! A sinking...IT IS!
10. Oh, wait...I rolled a zero, but with ULTRA it was a 1, so I don't think I even get a sub, do I?
11. Oh, and just to be sure, I see there is red box in the AFC for the area for War Period 1.
In short, four subs, Great subs!...Two saw no ships, one got sunk and the last one didn't even get the sub it "sank"...I digress...
- Last edited Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:24 am (Total Number of Edits: 3)
- Posted Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:20 am
I know your pain, man. In the last two weeks every single hit that I've made has turned out to be a dud...My subs are spending way more time being refitted than they do on patrol.
I just finished January 1942, and I only have 75,000 tons sunk...and that number is somewhat misleading-I got a 20t and a 10t on the same patrol with amazingly stellar back to back lucky shots.
I'd say that you are doing this right....
Ha, same here! Except that my sub got sunk by the Japanese sub...
But in the third week of January 42 I got my revenge and sunk the Ryuho.
I just finished May 42 with 221 tons... got the last 3 tons on the second to last sub needing a 0 to hit. I hollered so loud that my daughter thought that I lost my mind. 5 subs lost, 4 scuttled when Luzon fell and one constructive loss-51 Jap ships sunk.