Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Now reviews are ticking in, and there seems to be a unison opinion that the game is good but the English rulebook is sub par (for example rahdo and Milena Guberinic), something early owners of the game have realised for some time.

Is there a plan to revise the rulebook and do a pdf for people to download?

With the things that already have come up, it should not be too hard work to compile an errata and correct the errors.

I think a revised rulebook is needed to do justice for a game that is really good!

Tip for new owners of the game: check the condensed rules and the player aid in the files section to get the answers you need.

PS: if help is wanted from the community I am sure many will be available to assist, I for one would volunteer in a heartbeat if needed.

EDIT: just to add another review to support the needed revision of the rulebook, listen to Heavy Cardboard episode 58, which is about Solarius Mission. Rulebook talk starts from 42:35:
[thread=1686815][/thread]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielworxx's poor rulebooks and persistent components issues has forced me to rethink purchasing their games in the future (games I otherwise enjoy, but they've had plenty of chances to address quality control by now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Spielworxx's poor rulebooks and persistent components issues has forced me to rethink purchasing their games in the future (games I otherwise enjoy, but they've had plenty of chances to address quality control by now).

Yep. Honestly, if I hadn't heard such good things about Solarius, I'd just sell it off still in shrink. I have much less tolerance for poor components and rulebooks.

They're officially on probation with me now. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

I echo these thoughts. Spielworxx needs to get their act together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I'm squarely in the minority here, but I just finished reading the English rules from front to back and didn't find them to be that bad. Not perfect, but not bad. I guess we'll see what kinds of corner cases come up during play, but it seemed clear enough to not be a huge barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

Yep. Honestly, if I hadn't heard such good things about Solarius, I'd just sell it off still in shrink. I have much less tolerance for poor components and rulebooks.

Is it a double secret probation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

Is it a double secret probation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the rulebook for Solarius Mission is not that bad. I only had one doubt that i couldn't figure out from the rulebook due to bad english...

I won't argue about some component issues that should not occur but Spielworxx is sending replacement discs to everyone. Don't let these issues stop you from enjoying this very cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
In my opinion the rulebook for Solarius Mission is not that bad. I only had one doubt that i couldn't figure out from the rulebook due to bad english...

I won't argue about some component issues that should not occur but Spielworxx is sending replacement discs to everyone. Don't let these issues stop you from enjoying this very cool game.

I agree in the sense that the focus should be to make a good game better, and now I know the rules so I'm good. But due to the typos and errors in the rulebook I claim that you cannot play this correctly just by reading the English rules. That can easily be fixed by making the errata, updating the rulebook document, export as pdf and there you go. That is a relatively small effort to make, and the gain is considerable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, read the rulebook and played today. Didn't seem that terrible -- we managed to figure out what the more confusing phrases meant (range of space ships and no multiple planets per turn) correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.