Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a play of the Curse of Rougarou, a few issues came up that I'm not entirely clear on:

1) The Rougarou is in a location. Skids moves in, engages it (for 2 clues), and then evades it. The Rougarou is now automatically exhausted and disengaged. Does this mean Skids cannot attack it without spending two more clues?! (since the aloof keyword states that the monster must be engaged with an enemy to be attacked). This seems anti-thematic to me.

2) Similarly, the Rougarou is exhausted. An investigator spends 2 clues to engage and attack it, and draws one of the special chaos tokens that says "If the Rougarou is at your location, it attacks you." Can an exhausted monster make such an attack? Following the grim rule, we said it could but I have noticed that under "Exhaust" in the RRG there is no mention of a monster's attack.

3) Resolution spoiler:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Is defeating the Rougarou really worth 0 VP?! We ended up defeating the creature, but there wasn't really too much of a bonus for doing some, in comparison to everyone just resigning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
1) Aloof, unengaged monsters can't be attacked. Thematically, you're the ones hunting it. When you evade it, you let it get away, and it promptly runs off into the night.

2) I see nothing in the rules that would prevent an exhausted monster from attacking due to encounter card effects.

3)
The copy I got from Arkham Nights gives Lady Esprit as a reward if you kill the Rougarou. Did they change that for the POD? If so, that's a bizarre choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:

3)
The copy I got from Arkham Nights gives Lady Esprit as a reward if you kill the Rougarou. Did they change that for the POD? If so, that's a bizarre choice.

It didn't change, it still gives Lady Esprit. Plus with the experience on the locations, you can get that card, the Rougarou Curse (Monstrous transformation I believe?), and up to 4 experience. It's not so bad for a side quest that costs only 1 experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!

One more question:

Similar to question 2, if you deal enough damage to make the Rougarou change locations, and you draw the special token that causes the Rougarou to attack - does it move before or after the attack commences?

In reply to the spoilers:

Phoenixio wrote:
rsdockery wrote:

3)

It didn't change, it still gives Lady Esprit. Plus with the experience on the locations, you can get that card, the Rougarou Curse (Monstrous transformation I believe?), and up to 4 experience. It's not so bad for a side quest that costs only 1 experience.

While all the above is true, with the Rougarou dropping clues all over the board almost every turn, it is really hard to keep the non-Bayou locations clueless. We did get to keep Lady Esprit, but did not get the Monstrous Transformation - I think you only get MT if you do the "best" ending using all the scenario items. So far our experience has been: spend 1 XP to join, then leave with 1 XP and some trauma, hahaha. I just thought defeating the Rougarou itself would give XP in addition to the above rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JimJam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
How do you define "boardgame addiction"?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping on this thread.
I'm pretty sure I just died but to confirm:
I'm about to win with a modified attack value of +8 and 3 damage (rougarou has 4 damage already) while attacking the rougarou. Roland has 4 horror. I pulled the tenticle heart chaos token (-4 and rougarou attacks), the rougarou attack happens before I successful defeat him yeah? (ST.4)

So during my surely triumphant final swing Roland slips on a banana peel and falls down getting eaten by the rougarou.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.