11 Posts

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery» Forums » General

Subject: A Tad Disappointed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X X

Some
msg tools
Before I speak to my disappointment, let me say that it has nothing to do with game play. I have yet to play the game. You may not agree and that is fine, as this is my personal position.

My disappointment comes from the production value and choices made for the game. Maybe though it was my copy only.

My copy arrived and I eagerly broke it open to sort all the pieces and quickly found a few problems.

1. The Game Board: Mine is a bit bowed, but the real issue is that the colored Game Map (i.e. the paper glued on top of the cardboard); it was not centered on the board, but was glued in place nearly overhanging the top of the board. You can slightly feel it with your finger as you rub the top of the board.

2. The Resource Tokens: The printing on these was set too far to the left and so items like Sugar and Tobacco are slightly off the left edge.

3. The Manual and Box: The paper that was used to print the manual is very flimsy and the same holds true for the box cardboard as well.

4. The Choice of Colors: The Miniatures are very nice, but the color choices for the game, I do not believe are in keeping with the theme of the game. Bright orange really was a bad call. Just look in the manual and you will see a much more appropriate muted orange color. Bright yellow is the same way. The black extra pieces should have been a Tan or Grey as it is really hard to see any detail with gloss black. I think all the colors would be better if they were a bit more subdued.

Yes, I have written (about issues 1 & 2) and am waiting for a reply.

I simply believed that this game was going to have very high production value in every area. The coins a good example of what I am talking about; they are simply beautiful and well done.

Faithful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
My game was a bit imperfectly printed, too. I'd written Tropical Games a at the end of May wondering whether I could buy a replacement sheet - but Glenn informed me that they'd happily replace mine at no charge. Today (11 June 2007) I received a nice replacement sheet. Thanks, Glenn and Neal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a shame.
As impatient as I am to get my game (I was hoping to get it today in time for the games night tonight) I would rather wait a few weeks longer and have a game made as the designer would have wanted rather than having it now as the publisher made it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box:
Drover has already indicated that he was not pleased with the box, which was the first thing I noticed. When opening it, I thought, "Wow! Flimsy. I hope the rest isn't this bad." Drover recently wrote that he wants to do something about it in the future.

Manual:
The manual was a bit flimsy, but not an issue with me.

Resource Tokens:
I felt the tokens were not as thick as other games I owned, but when playing the game they weren't an issue - it's just that other games have thicker tokens. I had no problems with offset printing on my tokens.

Miniatures Colors:
The colors don't bother me. However, the similarity of the Colonists and the Merchants did require a bit of careful observation. It would have been better to have them more distinct. I plan to paint the bases of the merchants gold, and the bases of the Captains silver so as to distinguish them. However, for the most part you don't NEED to distinguish them too often.

All that being said, all of this was overlooked by our group after playing the game! We loved the ame play so much that we could care less about the production issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you just got a bad one, but I thought the board was over-produced! If you notice they wrapped the board in plastic and then glued the map on top. There is no seam for air/moisture to get into the board except on the center cut. I thought it was a little overboard, but understandable given the problems (not my copy though) they had with the board in Railroad Tycoon.

My resource tokens and the ones of the other 4 people I personally know who have a game are just fine.

The manual is a little flimsy, but after a play or two, who's going to use it again? Can live with it.

The only problem with the colors is there's no PURPLEangry I have played black in all 5 of my games and don't have any problems, but maybe I should play another color and see the "details". The details don't add to my enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game where it is wise to wait until the production problems are sorted out before ordering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Another game where it is wise to wait until the production problems are sorted out before ordering...

A few errors don't make a "production problem". Won't a production problem be something that affects everyone and all the games? This just seems like a normal run error. While it sucks for the person it happens to, it's not a production problem that should stop anyone from getting the game. Anything in a production run is going to have a small error run - if the error run of this game is 1%, that's like 200 games. While regrettable, it doesn't say the other 19,800 games should be avoided, especially since the next production run will also have a 1% error rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My tokens were also fine and had no printing errors.

I do agree on the flimsy box/manual comment though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMJJS wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

A few errors don't make a "production problem". Won't a production problem be something that affects everyone and all the games? This just seems like a normal run error. While it sucks for the person it happens to, it's not a production problem that should stop anyone from getting the game. Anything in a production run is going to have a small error run - if the error run of this game is 1%, that's like 200 games. While regrettable, it doesn't say the other 19,800 games should be avoided, especially since the next production run will also have a 1% error rate.

How do you know that only 1% is affected?

Why should we hurry to buy before more reviews/comments appear? I don't get it. Don't we have other games to play in the meantime?

This game sells for 37 pounds (55 euro - $73) in the UK which is quite expensive so it's better be perfect before we spend that money on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2 different kinds of problems with this wonderful game being discussed here:

1. Quality of production: (These are what they are for everybody)

The box (flimsey) Could become a problem later

The paper manual (flimsey) I didn't really notice, but see it now. Not a big deal to me, though if the game was filled with complexities and perplexities and required a lot of referencing it could be a problem. I think it is very well written and very helpful.

Just a thought: since the rules are posted online in all their glory one could make his own set on whatever paper he wants. I know its a little extra work, but it might be worth it.

The bright colors In a 2 player game, my opponent exchanged the orange pieces for the red because it was easier to see them. Black to grey and orange to a more muted orange would probably be helpful.

2. Production errors: (These effect only a few of us - do not know how frequently)

off centered map (mine was fine, so this does not effect everybody)

off centered trade counters (again, mine were almost perfectly centered with no loss of graphic or wording)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:
There are 2 different kinds of problems with this wonderful game being discussed here:

1. Quality of production: (These are what they are for everybody)

The box (flimsey) Could become a problem later

The paper manual (flimsey) I didn't really notice, but see it now. Not a big deal to me, though if the game was filled with complexities and perplexities and required a lot of referencing it could be a problem. I think it is very well written and very helpful.

Just a thought: since the rules are posted online in all their glory one could make his own set on whatever paper he wants. I know its a little extra work, but it might be worth it.

The bright colors In a 2 player game, my opponent exchanged the orange pieces for the red because it was easier to see them. Black to grey and orange to a more muted orange would probably be helpful.

2. Production errors: (These effect only a few of us - do not know how frequently)

off centered map (mine was fine, so this does not effect everybody)

off centered trade counters (again, mine were almost perfectly centered with no loss of graphic or wording)

Well said, except for the Colors!

I think that is a personal preference instead of an issue of Quality. I personally find the colors fine and have no problems except that I prefer the color purple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.