Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question regarding one of the small cards that is unlocked in Box 3:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have the tablet (unforutnately haven't got its name on-hand) that says "exhaust this to activate a colony". I also have a colony from a previous game. When can I use the tablet?

Immediately, before resolving the initial winter - meaning I save 6 gold on the activation and gain a bonus harvest from this colony (since normally you can't activate until after the harvest phase)?

At the normal time of activating a colony, saving me the 6 gold on activating, but still missing the first winter harvest?

Only during my turn in a round, meaning I either have to pay gold as normal or miss out on the resource claiming of the colony in the first winter?

In the game this has been relevant so far we went for the second option - the third seems ridiculously weak, and interpreting the tablet as "you may activate a colony [at the usual time] without spending gold" seemed reasonable. But I wanted to check I wasn't missing out on two extra gold that was rightfully mine!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There another thread on this. The consensus is that, because the card in question specifically says "at any time," it may take effect any time, including prior to harvest.

Other cards that don't have that wording can only be used on a player's turn, during a round. (Not winter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I did try searching but between concerns about spoilers and not having the precise name to hand I didn't have much luck.

Are there specific cards (within the base game or first three boxes) that meet the counter-example you're describing? (obviously not counting advisors, since they only have effect while activated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, I think I would allow you to do it at any time, but your ruling is fine.

There's a tablet that gains you 12 gold if you have zero gold. By your ruling, the tablet you have saves 6 gold (but is much easier to use, as long as you have a colony), which seems fine.

Allowing you to get the harvest as well gets you to 8 gold saved/gained, and allows you to improve the effect by improving the field on your colony, which seems like a neat side effect and also makes the tablet a bit more tempting to steal.

I guess the third option nets you a glory and minor benefit in some cases where you control more colonies than you are willing/able to activate, but that seems pretty weak comparatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
Personally, I think I would allow you to do it at any time, but your ruling is fine.

There's a tablet that gains you 12 gold if you have zero gold. By your ruling, the tablet you have saves 6 gold (but is much easier to use, as long as you have a colony), which seems fine.

Allowing you to get the harvest as well gets you to 8 gold saved/gained, and allows you to improve the effect by improving the field on your colony, which seems like a neat side effect and also makes the tablet a bit more tempting to steal.

I guess the third option nets you a glory and minor benefit in some cases where you control more colonies than you are willing/able to activate, but that seems pretty weak comparatively.

...huh! I hadn't thought you could improve fields on colonies since (a) I thought it was directly restricted to player boards, and (b) had thought you had to increase gold production of a site by 2, and a colony would be increasing it by 4.

But now I look again, the rules say "any region you control" and "the next higher numbered gold value available" which means it can jump. Not just that, but also all the other numbers can jump too - so if the 6 gold fields were completely used up between home provinces and colonies, someone could make their 4 gold home field - or even a 2 gold colony - jump straight to 8! And the same in both parts applies to garrisons.

Those are some very interesting observations....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, that was the first thing I checked after seeing colonies :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I finally actually looked at the card in question, and it says "at any time". So I'd definitely allow it to be used, well, at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, regarding the second example (mentioned by J N):
I'd recommend that it be interpreted as only triggering when your gold supply reaches 0 *after* the first harvest. My reasoning:
* If it was meant to be used at the beginning of the game, I think it would have just said "exhaust at the beginning of the game", since there would otherwise be little reason not to use it then.
* Looking at balancing the two cards cited, the colony card gives you an effective 8 gold at the beginning of the game, but only if you have at least one colony; the treasury card would be universally better if it gave 12 gold at the beginning of the game without condition.

Edit: corrected a typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I'd recommend that it be interpreted as only triggering when your gold supply reaches 0 *after* the first harvest. My reasoning:
* If it was meant to be used at the beginning of the game, I think it would have just said "exhaust at the beginning of the game", since there would otherwise be little reason not to use it then.
* Looking at balancing the two cards cited, the colony card gives you an effective 9 gold at the beginning of the game, but only if you have at least one colony; the treasury card would be universally better if it gave 12 gold at the beginning of the game without condition.

Agreed with that. (And of course, that's one that doesn't say "at any time", so you could reasonably rule it to be usable on its owners turn only, which would have the same effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
* Looking at balancing the two cards cited, the colony card gives you an effective 9 gold at the beginning of the game, but only if you have at least one colony; the treasury card would be universally better if it gave 12 gold at the beginning of the game without condition.

9 gold? Surely that should be 8 - is that a typo? (assuming no sticker improvements).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you're right -- should be 8. Whoops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.