Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that many successful board games have built a community around them before they have been published, either through a known publisher or Kickstarter.

So, what are some tips for doing that? Also, do you know of any resources that would educate to that end?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more or less in the same boat, since I showed my game at SPIEL16 without a pre-existing community. The booth across from me was by "Black Box Adventures" who showed their game "Revenge of the Dictators" (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/192984/revenge-dictators).

I talked to them about their successful Kickstarter campaign and they said that they did not build a community beforehand, so it can be done without one(but I would argue that it is a lot harder).

My own method is going to fairs like SPIEL or the UK Games Expo and to slowly gain a reputation there. However, that might not be the best course of action.

As a resource, check out Sean "Day[9]" Plott's GDC talk about building and maintaining a community for 5+ years: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020558/Keeping-a-Community-for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Board Game Goat
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend reading Jamey Stegmaier's (from Stonemaier games) book "A Crowdfunder's Strategy Guide" because he runs kickstarter campaigns like no one else and knows what community building is. I bought it but haven't started reading it yet, but I know it's priceless advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.