BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need help to develop concept idea (Oracle) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quentin N.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing, english is not my native language.

I am new to this community, and an occasional board games player. I lack of time to play, but I've been into games and wargames mechanics for a while now. I used to devellop games in my spare time, even if I didn't play them.

The thing is that I am now also into graphic design, and I think creating a game would be a good practice.

I came up with a fist idea that I still devellop (if the mechanics are of my own, the theme was given by someone out there while I was looking for something a bit original)and that is in a good way to see playtests.

I now need your help for something that was my original goal. I wanted to do a party, festive game. What do I mean? Here is my goals list.

-the game must need small materials. No big boards or hundred of tokens. It must fit in a small box (4 times the volume of a playing card pack, for exemple) to be taken everywhere, and cheap to print and make/produce.

-the game must have short but deep rules. Up to 2 pages of rules would be a good thing.

-the game must be fast to play, up to 30 minutes maybe.

-the game must include some original, flavoured mecanics.

-the game must encourage player interactions (one's turn has to impact the next player's turn, as a party game, I want to get people playing together not side by side.

-artworks must be part of the experience, or even part of the gameplay. But I'd like to have to make them only at the very end, as it is 80% of the work I need to get the game working first.

-optional: adpatable into a drinking game.

-2 to 4, or even 6 players, with possibility to play with 3 players (or 5).

Now here is the basic concept. As I am not sure what kind of game I want to play, It is difficult for me to dig those ideas, I need you to give me your help in figuring out what path to follow to get the most enjoyable game.

The theme of the game is an ancestral religion. I will make up one, but borrowing ideas from various european local deities from the bronze/iron age (I work as an archeologist).
The gods will fight each other, having a direct impact on the players. They will have to choose which god they follow, or I might as well make them play as those gods.

Whatever I choose to do, the gods will punish or reward their followers, as well as gain or loose some. Sacrifice and rituals will be a part of the game.

This is a bit hard for me to figure out as I usually devellop mechanics first before applying a theme to them.

Ok, but where is the originality?
The players will have to elect, or play one after each other, the oracle (I don't know what's the english word, the one with the ability to read signs sent by the gods). And it will be a game within the game. The oracle will get to roll dices, and group them/ reroll to get some effects he desire. while, for exemple, sacrifices to a deity will help get a good outcome in this phase (idk, maybe a reroll, or ignoring a bad result) an offense will significantly lessen the oracle capacity to improve the dices.
The visions of the oracle will be subjective, as he might sometimes have to choose how to read the signs, for example:

-he gets in the end 5,5,3,3,3: he now chooses to read it as a double 5 + a triple 3, or as 2 doubles and a 3 for exemple.

The oracle leads the game in a way, and the players might feel relief for a bad oracle that make the bad decisions when it comes to re-rolling a dice or not, or aiming for such or such outcome.

Now that I got a theme and a bit of originality, I have to choose what the game will be about:
-humans fighting to elevate their god?
-gods fighting each other?
-members of a tribe trying to be more successful than their neighbour, but having to deal with the will of their god?

-tile placement game? building game? card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ηaralampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-members of a tribe trying to be more successful than their neighbour, but having to deal with the will of their god?

That sounds more intresting to me.

-----------------------------

-tile placement game? building game? card game?

Making a card game is the cheapest option as far as the components but other than that a tile placements game is intresting.
I didnt quite get what do you mean by a buildign game components wise, but the thing is, start with something and immediatly playtest it.

If you dont like it, change it.
Dont wait, just DO IT !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin N.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer!

I might as well stick to my usual working pattern. I'll look around for game system ideas, and if something tilts my mind, I'll just developp the mechanics first, and try to make the theme fit in next. I'll wait for some other answers and then delete this topic until I get something structured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.