Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I ran my first solo run last night with four pretty experienced cooperative game players. After some futzing with the rules, we figured out how things worked pretty well. Our four player game came in at 100 minutes, right at the target they indicate (20-30 minutes per player for four players is 80-120 minutes).

The strategy we developed was that the defending player, at the start of their turn, should have no cards, and they should have played them on other players turns, and then every other player defends them. That way you maximize your draw, which is key to this game.

This strategy worked pretty well through the first encounter, Two of the players had 10 health, and two had seven at the end of the first encounter.

When we looked at the second encounter, and looked at Drogo the boss monster, we took the following strategy.

1. You don't taunt Drogo until you absolutely have to to say the Inn, the minute you move him, he becomes a damage beast to the defending player.

2. You take out the other monsters at the Inn as soon as you can.

This strategy appeared to be working, we were able to eliminate all the monsters except drogo, but by the time we got Drogo, it was just too much, we couldn't damage him quickly enough (50 points) before he killed someone.

I think absent the boss monsters, the game balances well, but when you're average monster has 6-10 health, having a 50 point boss monster is just waaay over powering (we're not in a video game), particularly when you've got a monster like Drogo that isn't just damaging the defending player every turn, but is damaging every player with every turn. Plus he was moving every turn.

I think if you reduced his health to 30 (or 25), and eliminated some of his powers, it might be better.

The other thing to consider for the game is that the intro scenario should be almost an automatic win scenario. This is almost an automatic lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try my (much) easier Market Day Madness - an easier Introductory Adventure. intro scenario.
By running thru it, your learn the importance of drafting the right cards, the realization that they come in to play immediately, that you only tune your deck by 4,8 or 12 cards max, when to Taunt, using the location's hit points, etc.

And, as you say, rather than a disheartening "Are you kidding? No way we can beat these other scenarios!" it is, instead, "Okay, we're trained. Bring on the REAL game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you using shields to prevent Drog's damage to the defending player? If he doesn't deal damage to the defending player than his Slash damage doesn't trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bennett
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I agree. We played Market Day Madness yesterday with 4, and by the time we got to the boss, we were all limping by on 3-5 health. It feels like you need far too many shields, off-turn taunts, and "retire" cards for what's actually available.

We've been discussing adding some house rules to fix things, so far we've talked about (but not tested):
Healing 2-4 health after each encounter
Optionally burning a second market card when buying one

Something has to be done about the difficulty. The game feels satisfying until you get to the boss, then you've got a couple rounds at best before slash ends up taking you all out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our recruitable draws did not include a lot of characters with shields, might have just been unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is absolutely no need for rules variants to win this encounter. We taunted him off the location in the second round of the encounter and bet him. I don't know what characters you used but if you want to beat Drog in the intro encounter DO NOT use Chronos. You need the other characters abilities more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:

This strategy worked pretty well through the first encounter, Two of the players had 10 health, and two had seven at the end of the first encounter.

No player should have 10 health. You start on 8 for the introductory encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Larivière
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to beating Drog are Shields (so, bring in Deirdre) and the final recruitment phase at the end of the 2nd Encounter. If everyone can start the 3rd Encounter with massive damage output in their hand, the defending player can immediately taunt Drog and all players nail him down into his coffin. Since he's a Tank, you can choose to target him, as opposed to Ranged monsters. This is how we finally managed to beat the Easy scenario: we killed Drog on 1st turn and I survived the residual damage with Scroll of Preservation (Shield 4); on the 2nd turn, other players taunted monsters away to isolate the Goblin King before finishing him off.

This being said, I reassert that the Medium scenarios are much easier than the Easy scenario in our experience. You just need to choose your starting characters (e.g. don't bring in Zot for Hydra, bring Gerki and Fiona) and plan your recruitment in preparation of the 3rd Encounter, which we were often able to end within the first 2 turns. Just don't give up! This game gets easier over time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Cetnar
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Might I suggest that the people who consider this 'easy' make a YouTube video of them going through it once and post it? This way others can benefit from your experience. Or, if you were doing something wrong that ended up making the game too easy, it can be pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im not sure starting with 0 cards every time your turn comes around is a good idea. you should try to play a card every turn including yours. i have also saved cards for several turns to make sure it is played for the most effect. if you want to draw more cards you always have the option to discard before you draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Larivière
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume I'm part of the targeted "people who consider this easy". I've double-checked the rules quite more than often, and interpreted rules in a way that actually disadvantaged us in our first 2-3 games (e.g. only using the Brute deck instead of shuffling it with the Beast deck, taking Slash damage although Drog's hit on the defending player was shielded, etc.). This being said, don't get me wrong; the game is quite hard, but the more you play, the more "doable" it becomes. We found the Medium scenarios to be easier than the Easy and Intro scenarios due to the lower threat levels on the 3rd encounters (especially for Ripsnarl and Hydra)... Baelfire is harder, but we had a very lucky shot at him since one player only had Ranged monsters in front of him. Therefore, he taunted Baelfire on his turn and all players threw everything they had at the Boss.

This being said, we haven't tried the Hard scenarios yet (the Dragon seems hellish!) and all the games we've played so far had either 2 or 3 players, so I cannot speak to the difficulty balance with 4-5 players. Comments generally suggest that the game gets much tougher with more players. I'd be interested in hearing more from people who played with 2-3 to see if they had a comparable gaming experience. Maybe the ongoing discussion about the difficulty is more directly linked to inadequate calibration for the number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We're looking for feedback from folks who've played the game. If you would be interested in helping us out, you can fill out a short survey about game balance here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSem0ABdvD92ugR1MLS_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Topgun505 wrote:
Might I suggest that the people who consider this 'easy' make a YouTube video of them going through it once and post it? This way others can benefit from your experience. Or, if you were doing something wrong that ended up making the game too easy, it can be pointed out.

I didn't notice anyone calling it easy. What it is though is not as difficult as everyone makes out. Personally I'm sick of hearing people suggest variants to make up for the fact that they can't work together on a strategy to beat the encounters, rather than knuckle down like everyone else and try harder to win. I myself just played 'The Insidious Cult' twice and won the second time with 2 players that had never played it before. I'm not doing anything wrong either. I'm a very experienced gamer with around 40 years playtime under my belt, not to mention play testing and running various gaming groups.

I tend to be blunt with what I say and sometimes offend people but seriously some of you really need to start coping with the fact that not every game will hand you a victory on a silver platter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Waller wrote:
Were you using shields to prevent Drog's damage to the defending player? If he doesn't deal damage to the defending player than his Slash damage doesn't trigger.

Oh that is interesting!! It makes Drog easier for those sessions where the luck of the draw was really bad.

And I wonder if everyone has seen the little note on the Red Dragon Inn location saying that the defending player can play one extra hero?

I suggest that Slugfest publish a FAQ for those situations that might not be obvious when playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.