Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, yet another mid-weight Euro suggestion thread.

I am in the hunt for a mid-weight Euro that is not a worker placement game. I don't mind WP, I just have some in that genre already, and would like a mid-weight that uses a different action selection mechanism. For the record, I would like a mid-weight Euro to be around 60-90 minutes, and somewhere in the 2.8-3.5 weight range (although I take those numbers with a grain of salt). I have a lot of area control and area majority games (El Grande, Nippon, Shogun, Blood Rage), so I would like something a little different.

I'd love to find a game that included a Cyclades style auction (Stockpile is close, but is too short for me), as I like it much more then standard auctions. I also love city-building or tableue building games.

I've played most of the top 200, so I suspect I will have played a lot of the suggestions at least once, but I'd still like to see what people say. Right now, Orleansand Roll for the Galaxyare the leading candidates, although I am not sure I am in love with either.

TLDR:
1. 60-90 minute mid-weight Euro
2. No worker Placement
3. Prefer nodeck builder or standard (ie Power Grid) style auctions, or area majority.

EDIT: For clarity, I am NOT just looking for a game with Cyclades style auction. That was just a bonus I put in case someone had a suggestion for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
I would push Deus and Hyperborea as options that I prefer by far over RftG and Orleans.

Have you tried the Pax games by Phil Eklund? I hated Pax Porf but could tell it was a good game. The more recent ones may be better and I am curious to try Pax Ren.

Homesteaders is a cool game. It has a different sort of auction and a bit of tableau building.

ZhanGuo is also supposed to be pretty cool. I still need to try it myself htough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Redward wrote:
I would push Deus and Hyperborea as options that I prefer by far over RftG and Orleans.

Have you tried the Pax games by Phil Eklund? I hated Pax Porf but could tell it was a good game. The more recent ones may be better and I am curious to try Pax Ren.

Homesteaders is a cool game. It has a different sort of auction and a bit of tableau building.

ZhanGuo is also supposed to be pretty cool. I still need to try it myself htough.

I saw this title and came here to suggest Hyperborea as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the title... The Castles of Burgundy. No contest.

But, you mentioned the auctioning mechanism, and I unfortunately don't know of any that also include that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest the following:

Shakespeare
Great Western Trail
Kraftwagen

I think they were all pretty interesting to play and pretty medium-weight games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those mentioned:

I don't like Shakespeare or Deus.

I am very meh on Castles of Burgundy, Hyperborea.

Great Western Trail looks like a 3 hour bore. I'll play it eventually, but it looks repetitive and a mess of mechanics.

Kraftwagen is great, but is not great with 2 players, which I would prefer it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig?

No auction, but you are trying to set price points for various players.

Castle building, instead of city building.

Have you tried Isle of Skye? Not strictly an auction, but price setting. Everyone is building their own map.

Both of these games allow you to specialize in particular scoring strategies and both offer general scoring mechanisms for everybody that change game-to-game (like Kingdom Builder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am extremely meh on both of those games, especially Isle of Skye.

I am not really that interested in auctions or price setting in general. I just really like the type of auction that Cyclades has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yunnan might work - says worker placement but is in the auction part??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
A little on the longer side, but Tin Goose has some interesting things going on in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chaon choan
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Concordia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maybe Firenze? Hard to get and no auctions, but otherwise hits your points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
Right now, Orleansand Roll for the Galaxyare the leading candidates, although I am not sure I am in love with either.

TLDR:
1. 60-90 minute mid-weight Euro
2. No worker Placement
3. Prefer nodeck builder or standard (ie Power Grid) style auctions, or area majority.

How can you not be in love with either game and call them "leading candidates"? Sounds like a recipe for settling.

Anyway, I don't know what standard Power Grid-style auctions are since I've never played it and have no interest, so if I accidentally recommend a game with that...sorry. Try the following:

Goa
CO2
Luna
Trajan
Gold West
Islebound
City of Iron (2nd ed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've probably played it but, if not, Goa might fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't hit all of your criteria, but I suspect that you would enjoy Glass Road

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No auctions, but just great:

Luna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
Castles of Burgundy, Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Orleans are all favorites of ours in the mid weight euro category. Deus is one that we are also interested and is on our Christmas list but we have not played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I'd love to find a game that included a Cyclades style auction (Stockpile is close, but is too short for me), as I like it much more then standard auctions. I also love city-building or tableue building games.

Peloponnes
Homesteaders
Vegas Showdown

I believe Amun-Re also fits

Keyflower has something similar, but also has worker placement.

Full disclosure: Homesteaders has worker meeples that you place on your buildings, but it's not worker placement. Where you place your meeples dictates your income for the round, and you may have more buildings with places for workers than workers (thus some buildings will not contribute for that round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
No auctions, but just great:

Luna

It is a great mid-weight euro, but it's mighty worker placement.

On the light side of mid-weight, I've been loving Tom Wham's eurofied Feudality. It doesn't exactly have Cyclades-style auctioning, but there is a little competitive purchasing element each turn. Otherwise, it's what you get if you take the best elements of Catan and BvB and apply a little more narrative and a sense of humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.