United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 381st TGIF Poll
Which geeky franchise has the best catalogue of movies?

(We're talking average quality of all the movies you've seen from that franchise, no fair ignoring movies you don't like)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
DC Superheroes
0.7% 2
Lord of the Rings
40.4% 118
Marvel Superheroes (all of them, not just the "Marvel Cinematic Universe")
25.0% 73
Star Trek
5.5% 16
Star Wars
23.3% 68
I don't like/watch any of these movies
5.1% 15
Voters 292
Which geeky franchise has the best catalogue of TV shows?
DC Superheroes
10.9% 32
Lord of the Rings
0.0% 0
Marvel Superheroes
10.2% 30
Star Trek
58.4% 171
Star Wars
2.7% 8
I don't like/watch any of these TV shows
17.7% 52
Voters 293
Which geeky franchise has the best catalogue of games?
DC Superheroes
2.2% 6
Lord of the Rings
41.6% 111
Marvel Superheroes
7.5% 20
Star Trek
6.4% 17
Star Wars
42.3% 113
Voters 267
This poll is now closed.   295 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:00 am

4. If you love a TV show or movie, how do you usually react to games based on that license? (Are you more critical, more forgiving, etc.)

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1 was a toughie. If 'Lord of the Rings' just meant LotR then I would have selected that (I love all three movies). However, if the intent was to include The Hobbit films then those travesties ruined that franchise.
So I ticked DC Superheroes (I like the Batman films). However, the recent Man of Steel and Batman Vs Superman have lowered that group's quality, too.

In answer to 4.:
I am a huge fan of Alien and own far too much tat related to that franchise. However, I'm not big on buying games that are linked to an IP as they are generally quite poor and are just using the IP to make sales. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game as it is actually really good!
In general, though, I guess I'm quite harsh on any game that uses a franchise IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer the DC comic universe, but Marvel knows what they're doing in terms of cinematic universes. The movies I've seen are pretty much consistently really good to great, whereas DC movies seem to have gone downhill drastically.

I'm more excited to check out a game based on an IP I like than the same game based on a license I don't like (or none whatsoever). (I do play, buy and like plenty of games that don't have any license whatsoever, of course.) If the gameplay itself isn't good/fun, it will definitely get dinged for that - but it can redeem itself a little bit if it does a great job of making me "feel" the license.
I do go into it with a skepticism though, because as jobby says, too many licensed games use the license in place of good gameplay instead of in addition to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point on the awfulness of the Hobbit movies but I still picked the LoTR franchise. I'm just underwhelmed by most of the superhero movies out there (with the big exceptions being Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy). TV show was the obvious Star Trek, duh. Games was hard. I went with LoTR but Star Wars has some excellent games, particularly Rebellion.

I think I might give a franchise I like some slight slack. For example, I might like the Discworld game a bit more than it deserves because I love all the characters on the cards. That said, I don't put any franchise game among my top games. The highest up is War of the Ring (Second Edition) at a solid 7.5. True, I give Forbidden Stars a 9, but that franchise has no meaning to me. I'm not a Warhammer fan of any kind. Forbidden Stars is just a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I think Marvel has more consistency in quality. Yes, it has a few duds (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Spider-Man 3) but there is so much good that makes up for that junk. I like Star Wars more, but I'd literally have to ignore 50% of the movies in order to give it my vote.

2 - I'm no Trekkie and haven't seen a lot of the episodes/shows that they made, but what I have watched out of Next Generation and Deep Space 9 is significantly better than anything I've seen from the other franchises.

3 - I haven't played most of the newer games from the Star Wars universe (all those that are sitting in the Top 100 on BGG.) Perhaps it would earn my vote if I had. Instead I have to vote Lord of the Rings. I have played several games with that theme and enjoyed every single one. My favorite game of all time is Lord of the Rings, so this was almost a no-brainer for me.

4 - I think I am generally more forgiving of games that slap a theme I love on them. I might get more annoyed when the theme is handled poorly, but I always find myself wanting to like the games. Even Star Wars Death Star Boom Boom Balloon got a slightly better rating from me than it deserved simply because it was a Death Star and not a random balloon in the middle of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
4. I'm not more critical of such a game exactly, but I am more careful. Meaning, that when any game is tied to a franchise, I am immediately worried that the franchise will carry a poorly designed game.

To put things in perspective, I am not generally a careful consumer of games, often buying games on a whim. But I will always look into franchise games before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Game of Thrones!!!!

I LOVE LOTR

I will more than likely enjoy the games based on them. Or at least give it a chance before writing it off like I do Zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
4. I proceed with caution but usually get sucked in regardless. Prime example: CHEW. Awesome comic, mediocre game, bought it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 That qualifier on Marvel drags them down a bit because there have been some serious stinkers along the way (like the latest "Fantastic" Four and a lot of older disconnected stuff), but purely on the strength of the collected MCU, Deadpool, and most of the X-Men movies, Marvel still takes the crown.

Wonder Woman, Justice League, and whatever else is in the pipeline would have to be some of the greatest superhero movies ever made and the MCU would have to phone-in two or three movies in a row before DC would come close to catching up.

LotR loses points due to quantity rather than quality, specifically because the Hobbit was 2-3 times longer than it needed to be.

The best Star Trek movies are fantastic, but that old even/odd rule held true for most of the run.

Star Wars... I personally enjoyed the prequels, but there's no denying the multitudes of issues there.

2 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the best show on television currently, but even if you include the Netflix stuff as "TV", this category still has to go to Star Trek for having 700+ episodes that are for the most part very good.

3 I honestly haven't played more than a few board games from any of the options, but from what I have played or seen Star Wars has the advantage here, and it's not even a contest if you also factor in video games.

4 Hopeful, but always wary. For every BSG or Epic Duels that comes out, there are half a dozen or more cheap cash-ins riding entirely on whatever name is attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
1. Which geeky franchise has the best catalogue of movies?

Indiana Jones
Blott wrote:
2. Which geeky franchise has the best catalogue of TV shows?

Doctor Who
Blott wrote:

3. Which geeky franchise has the best catalogue of games?

Dune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I went with Star Wars. I really like the MCU movies as well as the recent X-Men ones, but between the Andrew Garfield Spiderman, the Wolverine standalone movies, and every Fantastic Four movie, that's too many duds to get my vote. Especially since Fantastic Four being its own (terrible) thing means that Dr. Doom is prevented from being in any of the good stuff as well, which is a shame.

Also, I think the Star Wars prequels are better than people give them credit for. Episode 7 was pretty bad, but still possibly better than a lot of the worst Marvel has had to offer.

Like people are saying, the LotR series is great, but the Hobbit movies aren't, and while the old Rankin Bass movie is pretty good, that's still four for seven. And really to be fair even in the LotR movies proper there are some slow parts in the second and third ones that bring those movies down (namely, all of the scenes where they cut back to Frodo and Sam (and possibly Gollum) just meandering through a swamp talking about their feelings).

DC movies have been bad enough recently that I can't vote for them, and the only Star Trek movies I've seen are the JJ Abrams ones, which aren't good enough to be in the conversation.

2) Here I went with Star Trek, though admittedly I've probably only seen ~30 episodes of Star Trek total, they've mostly been very good. I've also wanted to watch more of the Netflix Marvel stuff as that's looked quite good, but I had to vote on what I've seen (I do also intend to watch more Star Trek to be clear). Though really this kind of stuff is generally outside of my wheelhouse, I mostly prefer sitcoms when I watch TV.

3) Well, I think I've played very few games that qualify for this question. If you take out themed Trivial Pursuit games I'm pretty sure the only ones are Star Trek: Mage Knight, which I like quite a bit, and the Star Trek Next Generation VCR game, which is bad. So I guess by default I voted for Star Trek.

4) I don't know, usually the kinds of things I want out of a piece of passive media are very different from the kinds of things I want out of a game, and so I'd tend to view any game based on a license (even one I like) skeptically, mostly because my base assumption would be that the game was Ameritrash, and I don't personally care for Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Star Wars. I notice that it is the only franchise that was originally a movie. All the others were adapted to movies.

LotR has the fewest number of movies. 3 are great. But the 2 Hobbit movies are not. And way back there was an animated movie of the first half of the LotR that had much to be desired, as the fact that the 2nd half was not made testifies to. So only 1/2 the LotR movies were great and there were fewer of them. So I can't pick LotR.

2) Star Trek. Again 'Trek is the only franchise that was originally a TV show.

3) Haven't played many games based on these franchises. The one that I like best in the LotR co-op game.

4) I probably look a little bit favorably upon a game for a franchise I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I surprised myself by answering Star Trek to both questions 1 and 2, taking seriously the overall caution to assess total quality, not just the best representatives of the franchise. By rights, Star Wars--having been first built as cinema--ought to beat Star Trek on the big screen. But the bad installments of Star Wars are so bad, and frankly I incline to the opinions of David Brin regarding the Jedi.

For question 3, I easily answered Lord of the Rings. But the gaming content is mostly based on the books, so the screen representatives of the "franchise" seem to be sort of a moot point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I was tempted to say DC because they have The Dark Knight, which is not only the greatest superhero film ever, but might very well be the only superhero film that even works as a film. Otherwise, every single one of those has good films in their history, but it is far outweighed by crap to be seriously considered. Except for LotR, I fell asleep in the second one and haven't looked back since. I liked watching Legolas fight, but other than Boromir, the characters are far all two dimensional and completely boring. Point being, I voted none of the above.

2 - Star Trek really excels here. Yeah yeah yeah, they have that one where the captain loses her ship every second episode and it is indeed terrible, but it also has Deep Space Nine, which was fantastic and boldly went where the series had never gone before (human drama), TNG (social science fiction), and TOS (swashbuckling fun). I may be watching Agents of Shield and really enjoying it, but it can't really compare.

3 - I hate LotR as an IP, like loathe, for many many reasons, from the poorly written text, to the problematic aspects, consequently, I find it interesting that it has the best games. The first coöp for adults. A fantastic re-implementation of Stratego. And while there have been XCGs that were coöp before the LotR's one, I do believe it was the first dedicated one. Really, the other IPs can't compete with that.

4 - I generally avoid IP based games and when I like an IP it is unlikely to get a game based on it (for instance I recently enjoyed the film Magic Mike and the series Luther, I don't see either getting a game any time soon). Also, if I dislike an IP, I am generally more hesitant to try the game at all, figuring it will simply attempt to emulate what it is I disliked about the IP in the first place. Fortunately none of the LotR games have attempted to replicate the hours and hours where nothing happens except more trudging through areas with lengthy descriptions of the physical environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
I really like the MCU movies as well as the recent X-Men ones, but between the Andrew Garfield Spiderman, the Wolverine standalone movies, and every Fantastic Four movie, that's too many duds to get my vote.

Don't forget Daredevil. If I didn't walk out of that movie in the theater, I can't recall why.

And the new Doctor Strange goes on the plus side of the ledger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, there are other geeks that don't like/watch any of these things; I thought I was the only one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you love a TV show or movie, how do you usually react to games based on that license? (Are you more critical, more forgiving, etc.)

I'd honestly have to say that I'm both more and less critical/forgiving. To me the gameplay's the thing that I focus on most; if a game is good in its own right, even if it's not that well linked to the franchise thematically, I can accept that. Conversely, if the game is deeply immersed in the franchise's theme, I can (to some extent) forgive some issues with game play.

An example of this would be Firefly: The Game, which has (in my opinion) a number of significant design/systemic shortcomings, but because it's literally dripping with theme I'm willing to overlook some of those flaws. Conversely, I find that while A Game of Thrones (First Edition) comes up wanting in theme, the game's mechanisms are so well crafted that I don't really mind.

Where the "rubber meets the road" in all this is when a game had an okay but not great system, and is kinda-sorta good with theme but not really solid. In those cases I find that I really don't have much interest in the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
jblomquist wrote:
I really like the MCU movies as well as the recent X-Men ones, but between the Andrew Garfield Spiderman, the Wolverine standalone movies, and every Fantastic Four movie, that's too many duds to get my vote.

Don't forget Daredevil. If I didn't walk out of that movie in the theater, I can't recall why.

And the new Doctor Strange goes on the plus side of the ledger.

Ah, how could I forget about the Ben Affleck Daredevil? And also the sequel/spinoff Elektra, which I'll admit I didn't watch but by all accounts was worse than the original.

Dr. Strange was a lot of fun, but I was just including that in the 'MCU' bucket. Basically I'm using that to mean any movie made my Marvel studios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
4. If you love a TV show or movie, how do you usually react to games based on that license? (Are you more critical, more forgiving, etc.)

I tend to avoid games based on movies/books that I like. Years of observation had illustrated to me that most games produced based off of these were trying to make money off of the familiarity and fame of the movie/book rather than by producing a good game.

I've only recently gotten a few games based off from movies/books I know and only because they had a long history of great game play and have proven themselves worth while to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes? Anyone? Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I voted Lord of the Rings, as the others have all had some stinkers. Marvel have had a great run recently with the MCU, but if we're including the likes of Daredevil, various Fantastic Four movies, a number of X-Men meovies, Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2, Howard the Duck etc. then their average is not as good.

2 Both DC and Marvel have had some success with recent TV shows.. Gotham, Arrow and The Flash have all been very enjoyable.. as was Agents of Shield and Luke Cage.. But I've been a long term fan of Star Trek, from the original series onwards, so I voted Trek.

3 I've played very few games that are tied in to these franchises, so I voted Lord of the Rings, mostly because of the co-op Lord of the Rings game, but I've also played War of the Ring and LOTR risk (which was better than the original).

4 As Lance said I can be both more forgiving and more critical of a franchise themed game.. If the theme comes through really well, I can often overlook flaws in the mechanics that I possibly wouldn't in an ordinary game.. however if the theme feels pasted on, and is just another cash grab, then I can be far more critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm in general more forgiving of games based on IP that I enjoy. I think theme is very important and if I'm already familiar with a franchise that helps me get into the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Marvel - The MCU is super heroes on the big screen done right. Deadpool was great. Most of the X-Men movies are good. Sure, there's some bad movies: Daredevil, Punisher, Spiderman 3, Fantastic Four. But, I think the good far outweighs the bad here.

DC, IMO, has a lot more and generally worse bad with things like Batman & Robin, Catwoman, and Green Lantern. (However, DC does get close to taking this due to the animated movies.) Lord of the Rings is 50/50 good/bad due to the Hobbit movies, plus there's the terrible animated movies. Star Trek has about 50/50 with the even/odd issue. Star Wars prequels were pretty bad (not as bad as Hobbit though) and have those awful Ewok movies.

2. DC takes this one pretty easily. I mostly enjoy what they're doing on CW. Plus they dominate in the cartoon department. (Can any of the other franchises even beat Batman: The Animated Series?) Plus, I'm counting the little bit of Vertigo that's made it to the screen. Even going to the older stuff like Batman '66 or Wonder Woman was fun.

I understand the love for Star Trek, but DC has pumped out so much content for so many decades that I think they even dominate in the number of episodes. Marvel mostly just has the Netflix series here. And, Star Wars has had some real stinkers in the TV department.

3. Star Wars. Simply for the fact that it's the only franchise that I own a game of.

4. Generally, no impact. But, if it's something I love and the game is thematic enough to invoke the feeling of the franchise, then I'll be more forgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Star Wars. I am not of the sect that discredits the prequels. It was the prequels that reawakened my love of Star Wars and I still love them to this day- they have some obvious flaws, but they make up for those in many other ways. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was excellent; the Hobbit Films were rubbish. The Marvel Films to varying degrees are good. DC has some good ones, but some really, really bad ones.

2. I have to go with Star Trek because, considering the vast array of series out there in this franchise, they are all pretty well thought of. I personally have not seen a lot of ST, but what I have seen was mostly good. DC and Marvel also have some decent TV shows. Clone Wars is excellent, and I'd like to see Rebels.

3. I ticked Lord of the Rings because it seems most LotR games out there have a decent rating (I even love the Hobbit Games, despite my dislike of those movies). Star Wars does have some fantastic games, but also lots of less fantastic ones.

4. If something is themed after a movie/franchise I like I'm certainly more interested in it, but I will research to make sure it's actually a good game before purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Lord of the Rings is 50/50 good/bad due to the Hobbit movies, plus there's the terrible animated movies.

I hope you're slamming the Rankin-Bass singing orcs, and not the groundbreaking Ralph Bakshi effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.