Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wagner
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm a new gamer and am building a collection. Wondering if someone could answer 2 questions about Loyang, first, are there differences between the 2016 edition and the original and second, how does it compare with Agricola and Caverna?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know for sure about edition differences, but most likely there are none.

Loyang is very different from Agricola and Caverna. It isn't worker placement, and has a somewhat unique card driven mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
I don't know for sure about edition differences, but most likely there are none.

Loyang is very different from Agricola and Caverna. It isn't worker placement, and has a somewhat unique card driven mechanic.

If for solo play, please do get this. If intended for games with multiple players, get Caverna or Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
quill65 wrote:

If for solo play, please do get this. If intended for games with multiple players, get Caverna or Agricola.

?? What's wrong with Loyang with multiple players? I think it's great. Only thing Caverna/Agricola benefits over it is playing with more than 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loyang is kinda silly with four. It plays counter intuitive and weird.
One and two shine.

If you plan on playing Loyang with four, run far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cnp3 wrote:
Loyang is kinda silly with four. It plays counter intuitive and weird.
One and two shine.

If you plan on playing Loyang with four, run far away.

Well, I strongly disagree. I think it speeds things up and keeps it similar to feel of the 2-3 player game while managing to not add playing time.
I'd happily play this with 2-4. Solo, okay fine to learn, but not very fun. But, then again, I'm disinclined to solo games anyway, so take that for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As to the OP's question, I'd suggest you go to each game's overview page and read about each game individually to get a better idea about what each one is about. Also, you may find user's comments useful as well--both good and bad. There is a comments link from the game's main page. Finally, watching video reviews is helpful to get an idea of how a game plays as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough - I guess four captures the two experience, but to me it feels strange and disjointed.

Good point on video reviews as research. It depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. Loyang was long available for a song because no one wanted it. I think it's terrific, but it's worth checking out why people didn't care for it as well. With the exception of Agricola-Caverna (and to a lesser extent Le Havre-Ora et Labora), Rosenberg's games do a nice job of feeling similar while providing very different game experiences.

So, if people hate Loyang for reasons you agree with, many of his other games might hit a sweet spot. Of course the opposite if true too. If you hate his other things, this is different enough that you might love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Rahdo's run through of Loyang.

Fantastic solo and 2-player experience. 3-player can be a bit long, but 4-player is like 2 two-player games in which your opposition can change from round to round. Odd, yes, but still awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No differences between editions. Agricola and Caverna are quite similar, but Loyang is a very different animal. I wouldn't say better or worse, just very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
One observation I have is that AP seems to take hold more often in Loyang than Agricola in our two player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.