Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Wolgemuth
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered something really cool this evening. I had bought a brand new Daytona 500 a while back and we played it for the first time the other night using the paper money (great game by-the-way). I realized that it would not take too long for the paper money to become beat up real quick. So I was thinking it would be nice to save the paper money somehow.

I thought about just using paper and pencil to do the scoring, but then I had another idea. I remembered that I had a Yahtzee Texas Hold'em game that I had been taking the dice from for other games, but had not used the chips for anything yet. I thought to myself that maybe I could use the chips for Daytona 500. Lo and behold, when I checked the denominations on the chips they matched perfectly to the Daytona 500 money (except the 1000's are dropped). Not only that, but the colors almost matched perfectly too.

Daytona 500 money has...

100,000's (red)
50,000's (green)
10,000's (yellow-gold)

Yahtzee Texas Hold'em has...

Chips with 100 on them (burgundy)
Chips with 50 on them (green)
Chips with 10 on them (tan)

It seems like there are plenty of chips for 4 players. I am going to try using the chips the next time I play. I'll see if it possible to play with the chips from just 1 Texas Hold'em game. I think it will work okay.

So if you are in a Thrift store or see this at a yard sale, pick it up as the chips will make an almost perfect substitution for the paper money in Daytona 500, thus preserving your paper money or replacing paper money in your game that has seen better days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharp Shooters has the exact same denomination of chips 10, 50, 100, in tan, black, and red colors. Yahtzee Deluxe Poker has the exact same chips (also called Yahtzee Poker Deluxe but chips are 100,500,1000 with different sculpts) , and both versions have nice dice trays. They're worth picking up, if you find them laying about used cheap. You get 32 19mm dice, tons of chips, and a great dice rolling tray with Shooters, and similar bits from the others. The included game is also a quality thought out game on it's own (haven't tried Last Chance). Much rather play than something like vanilla Yahtzee. The chips are plastic, but they look much better than typical generic plastic "poker" chips. This is the best pic of the shooters chips, but you can see the similarity. Here are some comparison shots. Sharp Shooters
Yahtzee Texas Hold'em
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Nice idea! I have a couple bags of chips from scavenging Sharp Shooters for its bounty of d6. I'll just throw them in the Daytona 500 box now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael maelstrom07

Connecticut
msg tools
My problem with this game isn't the money but the cards. Before playing for too long the cards start to bend in the middle from side to side. The only solution I have found is to place every card in baseball card plastic sleeves. I was fortunate enough to purchase a second deck from e-bay many years ago.
The dual advantage is to keep them from bending and it also keeps oil, dirt and beverages off of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.