Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been in a game where someone cheated. It's been more along the lines of overlooking a rule and, many times, correcting the mistake before the turn is over. I am curious about you folks, though. Any juicy tales of cheaters caught red handed? Please dish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making rules mistakes by accident, it totally happens (and to be honest, I'm the one often making these mistakes). But never someone who did something super sneaky on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only my wife, who is a dirty, dirty tramp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Does deliberately hiding tokens, or VP's that are open information count, i.e. Drakon (third edition), or King of Tokyo?

If so, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes.... while traveling in another country and the guest of some local gamers. Several were cheating on a party game, which seemed really odd to me. They were competitive, which is great, but were so competitive that they would cheat at a party game, which is ungreat.

Needless to say, I broke international protocol and called them out on it after they perpetrated it for the umpteenth time. They weren't pleased at having to eat a plate of fetid crow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I caught my wife sneaking extra cards at Cosmic Encounter and was completely shocked. She then revealed the Filch flare which said if she got caught cheating to lose one ship to the warp, return the items she was caught stealing and then move the deck and discards closer for easier access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... stopped the game and packed it away. I will not play with someone who actively cheats. Mistakes are fine but consistent, deliberate rule breaking is abhorrent.

Usually if it happens at my game group it is called out pretty fast.

However, I did once play the cheat in Cosmic Encounter (Where the rules dictate that you can cheat, so that's okay) and it was interesting watching people try to decide whether I was cheating or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asta wrote:

However, I did once play the cheat in Cosmic Encounter (Where the rules dictate that you can cheat, so that's okay) and it was interesting watching people try to decide whether I was cheating or not.

old news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
GGJC wrote:
I caught my wife sneaking extra cards at Cosmic Encounter and was completely shocked. She then revealed the Filch flare which said if she got caught cheating to lose one ship to the warp, return the items she was caught stealing and then move the deck and discards closer for easier access.

Yep that's the one ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
It's long enough ago that I've forgotten details, but there was someone I used to play with regularly whom the rest of the gaming group caught cheating from time to time.

I regularly gamed with two married couples, and one of the husbands had a competitive streak a mile wide. When all 5 of us were playing, and he thought there was enough going on that he could get away with it, this alpha competitor would "accidentally" do things like pick up dice before he thought anyone else saw them, or bump pieces out of place on a board in order to rearrange them "the way they were". He'd feign innocence and deflect blame, and maybe do it again a turn or two later if people didn't seem too angry about it.

In relating this, I'm honestly not sure why we put up with his behavior like we did. Maybe because he was a friend and we could forgive a lot, maybe because it was hard to find gamers who could attend regularly. Maybe because he knew that we were usually just playing to blow off steam after stressful work shifts and we were more inclined to roll our eyes and sigh exasperatedly than confront him and make our social time as stressful as our work time. I'm not sure.

It's a non-issue now, as none of us have contact with him socially these days because his dishonesty wasn't limited to the gaming table. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Used to play Chess at the local club years ago...there was one old man there who would cheat shamelessly...usually while instructing newer players. You'd notice halfway through the game that both his bishops were somehow on the same colour. He'd claim he wanted to see if you were paying attention.

He was renowned for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I caught a guy making change, as he called it at the end of a game of stockpile. Ergo, we was pulling 20s and adding them to his hand of money. I knew roughly how much he had as I'm pretty good at counting cards and he was making some pretty poor decisions through out the majority of the game. Somehow he ended up with exactly 5 more dollars than the top player and nearly twice as the other players in the game. I didn't want to call him out as he is a regular at our game nights, but I'll have to watch him more closely next time to see if this is a pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't ever caught someone cheating because I'm too busy having fun. Although I have a couple that I game with who loves Ascension and they play the game by dropping their whole hands on the table and then deciding what actions that they will do once the hands have been dropped instead of the order of in which the cards are played. I can understand house rules but it is very confusing and hard to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes, I have a story...

I was at a friend's house for a dinner party. Our group was large as far as dinner parties go in my neck of the woods at about 10 people. After dinner we all decided to retreat to the living room to play a round or two of mafia (essentially One Night Ulimate Werewolf, if you are unfamiliar with the game). Typically I play as the narrator as I've been praised for my silly stories and my resonating but soothing voice. This time however someone else offered to be narrator which gave me a chance to jump into the action. Cards were shuffled, dealt, and low and behold, I was one of two assassins/mafia/killers/etc!

Now I very rarely get this opportunity because as I said, I'm usually the narrator, but even more so, I always seem to draw the townsfolk cards. As the narrator went into his monologue, I closed my eyes, anxious to see how this game would turn out. I was excited to try my hand at lying to all my friends and my fiancé-now-wife as well.

"Mafia, wake up!" The narrator chimed.

I opened my eyes but what did I see? One of my friends, with his eyes closed, holding his phone up and scanning the group, as if he were taking a video. I held my breath and choose him as our first victim. I was still shocked at such blatant cheating.

When the Narrator finished his monologue and told us all to wake up, my eyes immediately went to my friend. I watched him as he opened his eyes and looked immediately down at his phone for 10 seconds or so, then immediately his eyes came up to meet mine with a smirk on his face. Knowing in my heart of hearts that he had recorded the monologue part as a video in order to see who the mafia was, I called him out right then in front of the whole group:

"Adam is cheating," I exclaimed. "I am one of the mafia and as I opened my eyes to kill off one of you all, I saw him video who we chose and who we are."

He immediately started his defense, but I cut him off as I told his wife to look at his phone. She took his phone and looked through the videos but didn't find anything, leading me to believe he had used Snapchat to record a quick video.

I asked that we restart with different roles and that no phones would be allowed during the sleep/monologue part.

--------

All in all, it went a little more light heartedly then it sounds. We've all been friends for years and don't hold grudges. But I can't believe that he tried recording video of it; Equal parts clever and stupid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got almost the opposite problem.

I've never caught anyone cheating, but I'm continually worried when I'm trying to make change / pay for things in games that I'll actually miscount and cheat in my favour. Many times, I've erred on the side of caution and end up "donating" to the bank (eg: give over 5 ones, second guess myself, recount, give another 2, think about it more, realize I gave 7, but leave it as is and just take the 5)... Only to think I look suspicious when doing it, and openly show my change every time after that to show others I'm not being shifty, which makes me look all the more guilty. All this makes me feel guilty and suspicious, even though I screwed myself out of cash / resources.

Is that normal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, and every time I look in the mirror I shake my head in total disgust...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...because I only play games solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
I've got almost the opposite problem.

I've never caught anyone cheating, but I'm continually worried when I'm trying to make change / pay for things in games that I'll actually miscount and cheat in my favour. Many times, I've erred on the side of caution and end up "donating" to the bank (eg: give over 5 ones, second guess myself, recount, give another 2, think about it more, realize I gave 7, but leave it as is and just take the 5)... Only to think I look suspicious when doing it, and openly show my change every time after that to show others I'm not being shifty, which makes me look all the more guilty. All this makes me feel guilty and suspicious, even though I screwed myself out of cash / resources.

Is that normal?

This is abnormal. It's basic math so don't let it scare you... take what you are owed! What game is it specifically?

EDIT: Or let someone else count it out if you feel guilty about it, but don't cheat yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Morstein
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Is that normal?

From my perspective: yes that is totally normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I've witnessed cheating was during a Star Realms tournament I entered once. I kept forcing my opponent to discard cards, and on their turn they consistently kept trying to draw back up to five cards - the first one was accompanied by an unconvincing "oh, I've forgotten to draw one of my cards...", but the two times that followed were meant to be much sneakier . Fortunately there were umpires/referees at each table who sorted it though, as I had only entered the tournament for a bit of fun - and stuff like that does leave a sour taste unfortunately. Still, continued in the tournament and had a great time after that!

EDIT: other than the normal, accidental "cheating" caused by rules errors and honest mistakes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Fiji
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my brother and I are super competitive. Whenever we get together we play History of the World, because he loves Risk, and this is the closest game I will play to it. Whenever we play, his wife usually was the third player, as my wife rarely plays games with us. Whenever we play, we go out of our way to attack each other, leaving her an easy path to victory. But despite that, I would catch her cheating pretty much every game. She would grab extra people for her empire because my brother and I were so busy focusing on each other. When her VP marker was on her side of the board, she would nudge it forward a few spaces when it was someone else's turn. When I would call her out on it, she would just laugh. In the end, she never cheated for either of us, so we tolerated it as my brother only wanted to see which one of us would beat the other one. That was the cost of using her as a third player. It usually bothered him more then me, but that is because he is the kind that has to win. Any game that I win, he insists we play again until he wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually make change in an exaggerated fashion, like a magician showing he's got nothing up his sleeves, and make sure somebody is paying attention:

"Game owes me four coins, I'm turning in one coin and taking five from the bank"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I used to play Spades with a neighbor couple on a semi-regular basis, and the husband started cheating a hand every once in a while, despite being a good player and not needing to. We were usually paired against the wives, and while they were talking or rearranging their hands or whatnot, he would openly signal to me what suit he was strongest in (hand to his heart, touch his ring finger for diamonds) or flash his high card when going nil. I never agreed to any of this, so, yeah, awkward. Happened 4 or 5 times. They were our neighbors, so I didn't want to publicly call him out - if it went bad we still had to live next to each other. And I'm one of those people that HATES confrontation. Not in-game confrontation, the real kind.

The first time, I said nothing to no one. After that, I told my wife about it each instance at the end of the night after they left; eventually we just decided to kinda let 'cards with the neighbors' die quietly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brothers don't like boardgames. This means for them that if they are forced to play then they see this as a right to cheat. They come by it honestly as I remember that my dad and mum would play Scrabble. My dad would flip over tiles in order to have "blanks", and then later when cleaning the sofa one would find discarded Scrabble tiles.

There was one time I was playing Pictionary against 2 of my brothers. They were drawing.... drawing letters to form words! Haven't played that game since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I caught my older brother stealing from the bank during a game of Monopoly. It was the last time he played with us. It was part of the reason Monopoly was banned among adults in my family. The kids still get to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
battler44 wrote:
Only my wife, who is a dirty, dirty tramp.
robot Whilst 'moi' hadn't yet with HER, so far as you KNEW...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.