Subject: Diversion Tactics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S H
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
SPOILERS Ahead... (Including the Hand, slightly)

So I went in for my first battle against the hand. I had some idea about him because I went ahead and read a bit about him when I never thought I would survive to him. His fight was unique, to say the least, but an interesting thing happened and I wanted to make sure it worked how I think it did.

At the start, I drew Diversion Tactics, which says "Once per attack, before hit location dice are rolled, any standing survivor who is adjacent to the monster, and not being attacked may spend 1 survival to cancel a hit". This proved useful with combining Shield and Dodge to make sure that I was almost never hit. This is my question though. There is one AI in which the hand opens his arms, and you need your 4 survivors in front of him. He then proceeds to attack each of them. Do these attacks count separately or are they all the SAME attack? In other words, for a total of 4 survival, could I divert 1 attack per survivor?

The other, smaller question is with the term of the actual Tactics Card. Can more than one survivor spend a survival to cancel a hit? So if a monster makes a 6 speed attack, 4 hits, if all survivors are adjacent, can the other 3 spend 1 survival each to cancel one? This comes to the "Once per attack" part. I do not know if it is once per an attack, a single survivor may spend a survival, or once per attack, a survivor may spend a single survival. If the later, each non attacked survivor should be able to spend one to cancel a hit (thus 3 canceled hits in the above example), while the first would allow only a single survivor a single hit to be canceled. The first seems more realistic, the second very powerful, but some Tactic cards are very potent, and some are... not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmb
Seeing as there is no other source of information other than the text on those cards and the issue is that of an ambiguity, there is no real way for us to be sure without direct confirmation from Poots.

That being said, I believe the intention to be:

1) Since they are separate attacks and the tactic doesn't specify "Once per round", I would rule that diversion can be used multiple times per round, even by the same survivor and/or for the same AI card.

2) Only a single survivor may cancel a single hit per attack. I think the card would have used the word "each" instead of "any" if the intent was for multiple survivors to be able to divert the monster's attention in a single attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
maceman121 wrote:

At the start, I drew Diversion Tactics, which says "Once per attack, before hit location dice are rolled, any standing survivor who is adjacent to the monster, and not being attacked may spend 1 survival to cancel a hit". This proved useful with combining Shield and Dodge to make sure that I was almost never hit. This is my question though. There is one AI in which the hand opens his arms, and you need your 4 survivors in front of him. He then proceeds to attack each of them. Do these attacks count separately or are they all the SAME attack? In other words, for a total of 4 survival, could I divert 1 attack per survivor?

If you roll separately to hit each survivor then each roll is part of a separate attack (c.f the glossary definition of Attack and Attack Roll)

Survivors in the left and rightmost part of The Right Spot aren't adjacent to the Hand unlike ones in the middle four spaces.

maceman121 wrote:

The other, smaller question is with the term of the actual Tactics Card. Can more than one survivor spend a survival to cancel a hit?

No, since it is once per attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.