Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] [View All]
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some help finding a block war game. I don't like cardboard counters. I made some block bits for Struggle of Empires so I don't have to mess with them. The game needs to handle 3 or more players and can be played in under 4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Block games traditionally mean games like Europe Engulfed, Crusader Rex, Eurofront and various Columbia games. They generally use blocks to keep information secret (so the are 1 sided, like stratego pieces). So do you mean block games, in the sense that I am using it or do you mean wargames with wooden bits (or cubes)? If you mean that check out Shogun.

edit: on second thought you already own that blush You can look at Hammer of the Scotts or Crusader Rex. They might be what you are looking for. However both are 2 player. Europe Engulfed is 3 player, but takes 10 hours for a full campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been eyeing Wizard Kings which is a fantasy battle game and accomodates up to 7 players although realistically (from what I have read) three is probably the most you would want to play with due to down time and game length.

I have read the rules and the game looks pretty good as long as the scenario you are playing is good. I have read the pros and cons of it and (for me) the fact that expansion packs are collectible are stopping me from getting it at the present time. But if you don't mind random mixes for expansions it looks pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your criteria I'd also recommend Wizard Kings from Columbia Games.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon will play 2 or three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Yep, Columbia's Napoleon is the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so is Commands & Colors: Ancients or Victoria Cross, not what you're looking for? They're tactical war games with blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no, because they are only 2 players and i need something that can support more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
computerarif wrote:
I need some help finding a block war game. I don't like cardboard counters. I made some block bits for Struggle of Empires so I don't have to mess with them. The game needs to handle 3 or more players and can be played in under 4 hours.

How did you make the blocks for SoE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:
computerarif wrote:

How did you make the blocks for SoE?

My local craft store sold 1/4 inch wooden cubes(troops), 1/4 inch wooden stars(forts), and 1/4 inch circle disks(ships). After buying enough to replace the cardboard ones i got some paint and painted a set for each nation. The total cost with cubes,paint,and paint brush was just under $20 and took about 2 hours to paint them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do games like Wizard Kings work with 3 or 4 players? It seems like there would be a problem with seeing the "hidden" sides of the pieces of the players sitting to your left and right as their pieces advance across the map, and only the guy opposite you would have truly hidden blocks.

E.g. if this is the seating:

Alfred

Bob Map Chad

David

Then if Bob's blocks have advanced eastward toward Chad, it seems like Alfred and David won't help but be able to see the western "hidden" faces of those blocks, even if they're trying not to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.