Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got everything from the advanced edition and I wanna know if there Are interesting cards from 1st edition that not made it to to the new release ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlussBurrito wrote:
Finally got everything from the advanced edition and I wanna know if there Are interesting cards from 1st edition that not made it to to the new release ?

You will want to purchase the "World's Collide" expansion. It's like a "best of" the previous version. I personally think it has the best heroes also. A big difference is that a level 3 hero is different, but not better at all stages of the game. You may want to keep a level 2 sometimes for a while longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
See this list of cards from the first six sets that have not been published in the Advance format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Neubacher
Germany
Meckenheim
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You see the complete manifest of _ALL_ TS-Cards ( incl. Promos etc ) in:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64847/thunderstone-expans...

A similar file exists in the TSA-entry for the TSA-Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still so many, thx for the links.

But are there really cards that stand out and you really wnat to get them, even you have everything from the advanced releases (got worlds collide already) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apologies for the variance in photo size (not many options available). These aren't in order of preference; I threw the gigantic photos in last, and the rest are in Darquil's listed order. Full disclosure, I cut my teeth on the original, so have a lot of love for those cards. That said, I still look for these heroes:

Runespawn (WotE)

I miss Runespawn in a fairly specific situation, that is, when I have one or more superior Wizard heroes available and good/heavy weapons in the village. Runespawn shines at making other heroes (particularly wimpy wizards) capable of carrying heavy weapons, and she has a solid attack of her own. When you get multiples of her then she strengthens the other versions of herself, which can have powerful effects for weapons that get stronger when the hero is stronger. And she's excellent at negating battle effects that weaken heroes.

Tempest (DL)

So, Tempest is one I like when there are weak sauce monsters in the hall. He's cheap at 5 gold, with a starting Physical Attack of +2 and strength of 6. But at Level 2 you put him on top of your deck if you defeated a monster worth less than 4VP. That's great as a free Prepare, but also it lets you level him right up the next turn if you're going to have to be in the village (powerful effect when you're racing opponents to the Level 3 heroes). And, at Level 3, instead of adding him on top of your deck, you add him to your newly drawn hand (giving you 7 cards instead of 6 for the next turn in a super Prepare). He's best in combination with other heroes (he won't be exponentially adding attack the way some heroes can), but he can hold weapons and is a solid hero to have around.

Evoker (DS)

So the Evoker seems like a bad deal at first glance because his special power at upper levels involves destroying an XP--and he's an archer so isn't good against Rank 1. BUT, by the end of the game, you're swimming in XP (even with the Advance useful XP you can trade-in for effects). For example, you can trade in an XP for 1 Magic Attack, but Evoker Pyroclast can destroy that same XP for Magic Attack +4 AND Light +3 (wowsa). Plus, you can still trade in another XP for the +1 Magic Attack on top of his effect. Also, he offsets his own rank limitations by adding light if you have another light item at Rank 1. With a starting strength of 4 to boot, he's useful.

Flame (DS)See above for pic
Flame loves him some light. He's a mid-level cost hero at 6, solid strength at 5, and comes with a +1 light and Physical Attack +2 at Level 1. He not only increases attack with Level 2, but also add a special +1 Magic Attack for each extra light you have above penalties (which becomes +2 Magic Attack for each at Level 3). Plus, by Level 3 he's adding Light of 2 by his lonesome and a Spoil effect that lets you buy a light item. He pairs really well with weapons like the Flaming Sword and spells like Fireball.

Phalanx (DS)

I miss this guy. You have to specialize with him for buying him to make sense (you don't want to clog your deck with too many other types of things if he's around). But he pairs great with card draw village cards, and if you can get a Phalanx Officer (which does cost a load of xp) then suddenly you're drawing your entire deck into the dungeon. Plus, he can carry weapons if necessary. A lot of fun to play with.

Veteran (DS)

Veteran is a personal taste kind of hero. His cost is high at 8 gold. His deal is that he starts at Level 1 with a higher attack then normal (+3 PA), and at Level 2 and 3 he can destroy heroes (which include militia/regulars) for additional Physical Attack +2 and +4 respectively. That can be a huge boon in games where there aren't many deck reducing cards, or where it's vital that you stay in the dungeon as much as possible (such as co-op). It can also be good in scenarios with monsters that punish you for the number of heroes. The downside of course is that you're one card down (or more if you need heroes to hold weapons) in your attack. But Veteran offsets this by a higher attack per level than usual. He also has a Level 4 with a huge strength (great for weapons that reward strength), Attack of 6, additional attack of +10 if you reveal only 3 or higher heroes, and Spoils of 2 XP.

Magehunter (TWS)

Magehunter seems like an underwhelming hero, but he can shine when monsters hate magic or require physical attack. By Level 3, he has an attack of 4, strength of 7, is +3 if no Magic Attack is present, and has spoils that allow you to purchase a Mercenary.

Highland (HoD)

A great hero if you can ignore the exploitative art (suuurree, it makes perfect sense for her to wear a shoulder shield over a bikini exposing her entire torso to attack). So Highland is good for buying heroes in the dungeon (at level three you add the bought hero to your hand rather than discard pile). She starts off with gold 1 and attack 2 right away. Other heroes will allow you to level up heroes in the dungeon (also awesome) or borrow heroes from piles, but Highland's special remains useful. Especially good for Cooperative Siege mode where you're punished for any time wasted in the village.

Jondul (HoD)

Jondul seems at first glance to be a limited hero because his special ability (ignoring light penalties) only works on the Undead at Levels 1 and 2. But that misses his true potential. He's useful right off the bat no matter who you're fighting. First, he's one of the rarer magic wielders that starts off with a Magic Attack of +2 AND a strength of 4 (allowing him to wield many weapons) at Level 1. And, at level 3 the limitation on his special disappears and he ignores ALL light penalties for ANY monster in rank 2 or higher. That can be incredibly powerful. Plus, his art is awesome.

Nyth (HoD)

Couldn't find pics but at Level 1 Nyth gets +1 Attack per Rank of the target, plus 1 if a bow is equipped, and costs 7. The Level 2 gets +2 attack per rank (plus 1 light for a bow). And the Level 3 gets +3 per Rank (plus light +1 for a bow). He can add up to a lot of attack really quickly. Super helpful if you're playing Cooperate Siege mode or have monsters that add rank. However, leveling up to Marksman right away is best use.

Redblade (TS) -
Redblade is cheap to buy at 5 gold (important when the cards don't fall your way in the first few rounds), gives you a solid attack of +2 physical attack right off the bat, can carry heavy weapons, and has 1 gold to spend in the village (also important when you can't get into the dungeon early). Then, when he levels up, he can completely torque your opponent's plans for the dungeon.

Toryn (WotE)

The Toryn was good for two reasons. First, his most powerful effect (being able to equip any number of weapons) is available to you right off at Level 1. This allows you to focus on leveling up weaker heroes, and leave the Toryn at Level 1 indefinitely. Second, when you power him up, he can borrow another player's weapon for the dungeon, possibly choking them up and giving him a boost. Great for when the village contains one or more really powerful weapons.

Darquil, you want to weigh in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
eric hert wrote:
Darquil, you want to weigh in?

Of those you didn't already mention, I really like:
Barrowsdale (TS). Classic wizard; cheap and overpowered.
Grimhold (TS). Armed with a dagger, awesome out of the gate.
Thyrian (TS). Makes Militia marginally better, and strong enough to hold any weapon.
Deep (DL). A tank.
Gorinth (DS). Functionally not so great, but I love the art. Makes my party feel funky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.