Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Ruprecht
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The second game was more conventional for me. This game, my first urban building was another lab; I didn't want to face the same science shortage I fought in the previous game. I also managed to snag Hammurabi for my era A leader, although I quickly replaced him with Leonardo. I desperately needed Leonardo, because my resource income was very poor; I had enough food, and plenty of science (especially once I grabbed a printing press), but no resources, military, or culture income. I went for a tech-heavy strategy, but I wasn't actually generating any points, and I was still falling behind militarily. Meanwhile, Harry was grabbing all of the colonies, and his future potential was very high, but his military was tough enough that no one was about to attack. I managed to grab the Ocean Liner Service, which gave me effectively infinite workers (I once again had the Basilica, so keeping them happy was no problem), but I seemed to be heading for dead last; I was around 80 behind Harry at one point. I decided I needed to take drastic action, especially after Harry got Cook, so I went with a simple plan - grab every yellow card that could give resources, Einstein for some points, Coal (and spend a couple of turns upgrading), Modern Infantry, Tanks, Classic Army, Air Force. My strength jumped from a low of around 6 to well over 40 in just a couple of turns, and I threw a War over Culture at Harry. I thought he would have trouble keeping up with my strength increase, and I was right; what I wasn't expecting was that he would solve the problem by exchanging Cook, who was giving him eight points a turn, with Churchill. This let him get within around 10 of my strength, but knocked out most of his income. Fortunately for me, in preparing for the war, he left just enough cards on the table that one card remained when Mark (the first player) refreshed. This let me declare another war; after some thought, I attacked Marty, who would have trouble building up his military from 10 high enough to challenge my 55+, even though Mark (who had been quietly accumulating points with theaters) was clearly my competition. I was also finally able to start building point generators, and I was catching up. The war with Marty got me 37 points, and at the end of my turn I was very close to Mark. However, since I had the strongest military, lots of happy faces, a large population from the ocean liner service, and a high science income, I was able to pass him on the event decks for the win. I was even more surprised by this win than the first one; it's really amazing how quickly military forces can be built up in era 3, and how devastating the wars can be to a player who isn't prepared for them. I actually had a Holy War in my hand as well, which would have absolutely destroyed Mark had I had one more turn to play it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A science heavy strategy can be EXTREMELY good with Einstein as your leader. In my last game I was able to almost completely neglect my culture income from buildings because I was making 12-15 culture points per turn from playing technology cards. The only real downside to this strategy is that you can be vulnerable militarily if you don't have ocean liner service for extra workers, since it is difficult to build your population quickly enough to form an effective military if you've truly focused on science.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.