Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Side Missions and rewards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pier Desuna
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi.

When you finish a mission (for instance, Aftermath) and the empire wins, does everyone get to have the "additional reward"? Or just the empire?

Next question is: How does side missions work? I mean, you finished Aftermath and the empire won, so the campaign guide tells you to go to certain page and play certain mission, but when do the side missions come to play? You get to draw two side mission cards and then you got to choose from 3? How does it work?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomiz3 wrote:
Hi.

When you finish a mission (for instance, Aftermath) and the empire wins, does everyone get to have the "additional reward"? Or just the empire?

Next question is: How does side missions work? I mean, you finished Aftermath and the empire won, so the campaign guide tells you to go to certain page and play certain mission, but when do the side missions come to play? You get to draw two side mission cards and then you got to choose from 3? How does it work?

Thanks.

The "additional rewards" part is resolved regardless of which ending was achieved.

As for the side missions, look at the back cover of the campaign guide - that's your campaign log, and the mission boxes on the left side let you know when you should be playing side missions and when you should be playing story missions. See, the wording for the Aftermath endings is "Place Story Mission card ... into play.", but that does *not* mean the same as "Play Story Mission ... now".
Look at the learn to play book page 13 - it'll tell you that, when you finish Aftermath, you should draw two side mission cards and put them into play - therefore, after completing Aftermath you'll have two side missions in play and one story mission (A New Threat or Under Siege, depending on who won Aftermath). Then, when you go to play a new mission, the campaign log tells you whether to play a story mission or a side mission, and you then select a mission of the appropriate type from the ones in play.
So, the next one after Aftermath is a side mission - so you'll select one of the two of those and play it. After playing a side mission, you draw a new one from the deck to replace - so whenever it's time to play a side mission, you'll always have two to choose from (could be more depending on played agenda cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding mission structure-

What my group does is we have a few stacks. First, there are the side missions- there's the deck (face down) and then two active side missions the Rebels can choose from face up.

Next to the side missions is the Story Mission stack. These are the campaign-specific story missions for the game. Next to the side missions, make the "Active" story mission face up. The active story mission, as you may know, is determined by the results of the previous story mission.

Then, as TheNameWasTaken already said, simply look at the campaign log. If a story mission is next, draw the Active Story mission you set aside. If a side mission is next, the Rebels pick one of the ones available- or, if the Empire has played a non-forced Agenda mission, they can play that as well.

The campaign might feel like it alternates between 1 story mission and 1 side mission- and it often does- but don't fall into the trap of thinking that's always the case. Always check what's next before setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand all this but I can't find anywhere what I am supposed to do with the side mission that was NOT selected. Does it go back into the deck or does is remain active. I guess this means that it stays active. It sort of just hangs around until someone picks it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
judo artist wrote:
I think I understand all this but I can't find anywhere what I am supposed to do with the side mission that was NOT selected. Does it go back into the deck or does is remain active. I guess this means that it stays active. It sort of just hangs around until someone picks it?

Exactly. Imperial Side Missions will tell you what to do with them when they aren't selected, but the standard Side Missions only get removed if they are chosen. They stick around otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.