Axis & Allies» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The End Of Our First Game: An Update And Final Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Finally after a fortnight of waiting, we were finally all at home on the same night. So we said we would finish axis and allies.

This session report wont be as detailed, because we had so many turns I lost track of what happened.

The first turn saw the decline of Russia(I did some stupid things and I paid for them quickly), it was really on the ropes. Germany and America were pretty stable. Japan and Britain had the most gains.

Our second turn saw pretty much the same as the first. Russia feel down another notch, Germany and America stayed about the same. Japan and Britain gain a little more.

It was the 3rd turn where the game really started to fire up. Russia began to take back the lost ground from germany and more. Britain started taking Africa. Japan and America stayed pretty quiet in this round. My buying for russia started paying off. I kept taking risks with buying tanks, but it worked well in the counter offensive.

The 4th round saw the Germans fall to their knees. Britain had taken Africa and Western Europe. Russia had taken the east. We had Germany surrounded, It was left with the german territoey and Southern Europe. We figured next turn we would have him. Japan began expanding slowly, it took one territory. The Americans had help in africa by doing bombing runs. This was a good turn for the allies, but we didnt realise what would happen in the future.

5th turn America moved from bombing Africa to strategic bombing in germany. The pain got worse for germany as they couldnt buy any forces. Russia and britain didnt make any ground, while japan continued quietly taking another territory in asia.

The 6th turn played pretty much like the 5th. Germany was barely hanging on (not just in the game, but the player was struggling in interest).

The 7th turn saw a 1 decisive move which would swing the game right around. Germany decided to go on a suicide mission with 4 bombers to britain. Britain was full of units. With extremely high odds against the germans, they had destroyed all the units on britain. This was also the turn Japan decided to unleashed. Driving through russia to one territory away from the capital. All america could do was to continue bombing.

7th turn saw the demise of the Soviet union. All they had left was 3 bombers. Japan had taken Russia and all of asia, now was on the way to africa. Germany's bombers headed for the british fleet and wiped them out with only loosing 1 bomber. All America could do was bomb.

8th turn and nearing the last. By this time Julius (germany) and Lukas (britain) were loosing interest, as Gulli(japan) would take long turns. The down time between their turns was realyl testing their paitience (really the time in between their turns was about 5 - 7 minutes). The downfall of the allies continued as japan turned its attention towards north America, it began with the fall of Alaska.

9th turn Julius had enough, after his turn he said thats all for tonight and walked off. Very disapointing, especially after he gained so much ground back. Lukas was itching to goto a Lan party, but continued to play this turn. Japan gained western canada.

the 10th turn was going to be our last for the night, and we would come back to it later. We worked out that the axis only needed 4 more points for victory. We got julius back for one last turn. He made 3 points only 1 for japan to get, he quickly hurried away. Lukas was powerless and wasnt able to take a territory. Japan got its one and ended its turn. America couldnt do anything only one unit in any position to attack. it was a 50/50 chance 1 infantry vs 1 infantry. And the Allies lost.

It was a fun game, with one move really deciding the outcome of the game.

I made some very stupid moves with russia, one especially being not to watch out for japan coming from the east. As America I worried to much about bombing that I didnt have anything to do some invasions, this would really hurt me at the end.

Japan seemed to make all the mistakes. buying tanks for the first buy, and finding out the next turn that he needed transports to get it to the mainland. Buying a submarine and to have it killed by a plane.

Britain, was wishy washy with plans, there was no direct aim, it kept changing each turn without completing the one before.

Germany, was just unlucky, but then got lots of luck in return. He really suffered from impaitience. Hopefully he will play again.

All in all it was a very fun game for me. But what did the others think? I havent had a chance to ask julius what he thought, because he has been away.

But Gulli said it was great, he really liked it. Especially for the fact you can think about what you are going to do, he also really likes the depth of options that can be done, he said it was a bit overwhelming at first, bt he wants to play again so he can get better.

Lukas, I wasnt sure what lukas was going to say, he lost interest in the game pretty quickly and just wanted to goto a Lan party, so I thought he must of not liekd the game. But last night he suprised me by asking if we wanted to play it again. So thats a great sign, we couldnt play. But I gave him the axis and allies pc version (which can be found here http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki) so he could learn the game. I will give that to Gulli to learn as well.

Now I jsut have to find out what Julius thought. But overall I thought it was a fantastic game and I cant wait to play again. AT least 3 out of 4 really like the game so I consider it a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This sounded "crazy-devious" from what you describe, but as long as you have FUN, then where's the harm eh? I'd suggest that the NEXT "game", then you also photo-record the TURNS if you can, and as long as the others are willing. Also, you might consider this for where there is just 2 of you involved, as then the "down-time" for EACH of you isn't so prolonged. Thanks for the entertaining first look from the vantage point of "newbies" of it all then.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you made all the mistakes most people make their first few games. But that is part of the fun, thinking how you will play differently NEXT game! As a veteran of dozens of games, I have a few "never dos" for the first few rounds. Personal playing style, I assure you, but works for me.

1. Russia never attacks Germany, and buys only infantry to slow down Germany.

2. Germany ignores Africa, begins plugging away at Russia and wiping out British fleets.

3. Japan builds a factory in Asia and begins attacking Russia after wiping out USA forces there.

4. USA starts sending fighter airplanes to Britain, then Russia, to help their defence.

4. USA sends bombers to bomb Germany, begins building transports to invade Europe.

How you handle the Japan navy with the USA is your choice, but don't be too aggresive at first. Build mainly for defense and slowly add more ships. You will need most of your income to invade Europe.

Just my take on the game. Have fun developing your own war plans!

edited to clarify
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
This sounded "crazy-devious" from what you describe, but as long as you have FUN, then where's the harm eh? I'd suggest that the NEXT "game", then you also photo-record the TURNS if you can, and as long as the others are willing. Also, you might consider this for where there is just 2 of you involved, as then the "down-time" for EACH of you isn't so prolonged. Thanks for the entertaining first look from the vantage point of "newbies" of it all then.
cool

Thanks for your encouragement robert. It was very fun, and its always good when you want to play a game and try other strategies.

volnon wrote:
Yep, you made all the mistakes most people make their first few games. But that is part of the fun, thinking how you will play differently NEXT game! As a veteran of dozens of games, I have a few "never dos" for the first few rounds. Personal playing style, I assure you, but works for me.

2. Germany ignores Africa, begins plugging away at Russia and wiping out British fleets.

3. Japan builds a factory in Asia and begins attacking Russia after wiping out USA forces there.

4. USA starts sending fighter airplanes to Britain, then Russia, to help their defence.

4. USA sends bombers to bomb Germany, begins building transports to invade Europe.

How you handle the Japan navy with the USA is your choice, but don't be too aggresive at first. Build mainly for defense and slowly add more ships. You will need most of your income to invade Europe.

edited to clarify

Thanks for your tips, they make alot of sense. And its what I like about this game, there seems to be many different ways of playing it.

I won some expansions in a math trade so once we get into playing it more I can add in some more spice as we need.

I hope to play again soon and Ill write another session report then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
volnon wrote:
Yes, while this advice should be taken with plenty of "grains of salt"!

volnon wrote:
I disagree with this 'premise', as the Soviets can and should "upset the apple cart" of Germany, by pre-emption in a few instances. I'm W-A-Y "aggressive" in this demeanor, as I would suggest at least going after and obtaining "Finland", while using your ARMOUR for that to also preserve those for future uses, as long as things are going your way for it all. You can also assist your "Allies" by taking out the German "Baltic" fleet, with either their OWN-(Soviets), or their 'Fighters', or perhaps a combination of these. With just the latter alone by themselves, then the SUB can't "fire" back as well! That can't "Retreat" either, nor "submerge" if this is just the basic "game". Any means that YOU have at hand of which you can then destroy some of the "Luftwaffe", will take these away from contentions upon their 'Turn'.

volnon wrote:
Bad "mojo" here again, as overrunning this for Germany then makes it a "vassal" continent and "nickels & dimes" poor UK into becoming poorer! They also have to divert their forces into bringing these BACK within their influences to boot. While if you were aiming to take this ALL, then you'll want to commit your Naval forces to reinforcing this, even if you feel the need to conduct an "Amphibious Assault" upon the coast, in conjunction with a LAND assault, OR by itself if you're feeling somewhat "lucky".

volnon wrote:
You don't have to do this right off the bat, since I prefer to build up the JAPAN Navy some from the get go. As some of you have already discovered, then they NEED additional forces in which to bring out the ones on the "Home Island". You'll also want some cheaper "fodder" for taking losses with. Once a "safe area" is available on the ASIA continent, THEN you should build and place that "Industrial Complex". You might even luck out and 'Capture' someone else's of this, if they're NOT too careful.

volnon wrote:

While don't neglect the OTHER "theatre", as I've seen too many others willingly do in their "Get Germany 1st!" strategies. This will depend on how things have transpired by the time it IS their "turn" as well. Anything that "survives" from the initial "Pearl Harbor" ATTACK-(the SUB is about the ONLY 'choice' here) should then retreat to add onto the "West Coast" fleet. You may even then be able to launch a "Counter Attack" with these, and most, if not ALL, of your "Air Force" at hand, including the "East Coast" based ones! If the USA retains "Hawaii", then it is permissible to achieve this with those, while that does preclude sending the Air units Eastward. Yet, if the UK isn't under immediate threat of INVASION, then they can be spared for the time being. You could also reinforce the UK with a couple of Infantry and the Transport there some as well.

volnon wrote:

edited to clarify
I do state here that either you go "whole hog" against the "Pearl Harbor" forces OR you can attempt to do this on the 'cheap' with just the JAPAN SUB and available "Air Forces" nearby-including the BOMBER in JAPAN, if you'd like to preserve your Naval forces. Just remember that your Fighters can travel UP to the extent of their "range", as long as an Aircraft Carrier accompanies them into any SEA area as well.

5.United Kingdom~this may have been forgotten, while don't neglect them! Sometimes, then just building UP the "Bomber Command" is best, and SAVING up your monies for a HUGE "fleet" builds ALL at once is better. This does depend on how much of the "Home Fleet" is still around by their 'Turn', as you'll want to keep that in 'being', so COMBINE any others into this. That may also include the Soviets as well, by having them "sail" over to these from the beginning. By once again buying the cheaper "fodder" kinds, then you will most likely have the enemy be required to use and hopefully 'sacrifice' their "Air Forces" along with whatever Naval units there are, while trying to remove this "threat"! You'll also need to HAVE the LAND units to make that feasible.

For those of you that feel especially "brave", then perhaps you should try for some 'Tech' rolls when you can afford to do this. That may take a few 'Turns' into this before you attempt any, since you'll want to assess the situation to where you are able to do without something with even a single "roll" due to the COST for it all.

Well, there you go with differing viewpoints on this according to individual "tastes", while don't just limit yourself to what many consider as "tried & true" formulae, and believe me, I've seen plenty! "Good Gamings" for you guys. Also, what others for this did you happen to have again?
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, I would LOVE to play you in A&A to show you how I win at it. As it is we can only write comments about why one person's ideas work and the others don't.

I remember playing this one guy who swore the only way for the Allies to win was for the Allies to build a factory in Finland, and that he had NEVER lost a game doing it. Four hours later I had taken Britain and he surrendered.

That is what makes this game GREAT.

Everyone is just so cocksure that their plan is the one that always wins, and then, after hours of being ground down, it is proven otherwise.

The game is a delicate balancing act. A few bad dice rolls slows up a great attack or counter attack. Even with that in mind, if you keep to the "big plan", my advice will allow you to win -I'm not being cocksure about this, as I have seen my gameplay work time and again).

It is OK to do a few attacks here and there as you suggest, but the biggest mistake you suggest is not building a factory AT ONCE in Asia and immediatly race toward Russia. The best thing is to pull back your navy into a defensive posture near Japan until later in the game.

Long live Axis & Allies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Harris
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I think you are both right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
LarryH wrote:
I think you are both right
Good "save" there 'guy'! While I could and would SHOW this other 'guy' just WHY JAPAN may not be able or willing to emplace an "I.C.", just as of yet from the "get go"! As with the "Real Estate" 'biz', then so it is for THAT as well with its "Location, Location, Location"! Were these severely restricted by the time this rolled around, then "Whaddawedonow?" may just be the "order of the day" eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert-
Pay for my airplane ticket and I will play you a game of A&A. "If" I lose I will reimburse you for it- if you lose, well, then, at least you paid for a good time and will have great story to share here at BGG.

Of course, since this is a discussion about Japan, I would have to play the Axis and you would have to be the Allies.

As we say here in the South, feel free to put your money where your mouth is. And I mean that with all due respect and a smile.

PS- If Mr Larry Harris says we are both right, well, I guess even if we never play at least I feel honored by his kind words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Hope
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
Thank your for the battle report! I have been considering buying A&A for a while, and now this thread has convinced me to get it and try out all these strategies for myself! Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

edited to clarify

That matches my rules-of-thumb pretty closely.

Thumbs up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.