Subject: 2-players games with strategy ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] twoplayer [+] [View All]
Guillaume ???
Canada
Repentigny
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hello, I'm searching for a good 2-players board game.

If possible, the game should be :

- Strategical
- Quick to play (less than one hour if possible)
- Not that random
- Not a war game
- Not a traditional game (chess, checkers, etc...)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must suggest my two favourite games; YINSH and Piranha Pedro. Both are excellent two-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Hive or Khet: The Laser Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Through the Desert.

Another good Knizia that works well with 2 players is Samurai.

Lastly, I hear that a lot of people like Goa two player. I have it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It is much more complex than TTD or Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Hive and also recommend Hey, That's My Fish! which will go up to four players.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll second Samurai and add 2-player Puerto Rico (or San Juan if you want to add just a little more luck). Aton has a little more luck but LOTS of roads to the win--makes it quite tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett R.
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said board game specifically, but there's a good handfull of two player cards games that come to mind. My girlfriend and I have been enjoying Gloom recently (sick sense of humor required), good amount of strategy, can be quick with only two players and definitally is not traditional. Lost Cities is another one that almost comes between a board game and a card game since it comes with a board, but it's use is not necessary by any means. Carcassonne usually takes us less than an hour too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahuna can be very strategic with a little luck.
Mr. Jack is a good thinking game.
Attika works with two to four but I think is best with two.
ZÈRTZ is a little abstract and some people argue it has been solved, but at the level I play I still quite enjoy it.
Ingenious also works well two to four (and even has solo play).
If you don't mind dice Nexus Ops is a lot of fun with two and can play up to four.
And if you really like dice and can find a copy Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit is a classic.
As other's have already said Hive, Dungeon Twister and YINSH are all good choices too. Hey, That's My Fish! seems really simple at first glance and can in fact be played by the very young, but there's also some depth to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo. Designed by Rüdiger Dorn of Goa and Louis XIV fame.

I practically just keep that out all the time right now and always bring it on vacation. I'll be bringing it next week to entertain my mom while my dad has some scheduled surgery. It's guaranteed to hold even the most distracted person's attention.

A game plays in 15-20 minutes and we usually do best of 3. It can be played in a very small space like a pair of airline tabletrays (or even only one if you are careful, I think). It also can be packed down very small.

Nice card art, too. Reprint coming in the next week or month or something, too, if you can't find it right away.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ingenious is fairly abstract and lots of fun with a little luck. Great with two and can be played with up to 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of abstract games have been mentioned, but with 2 players you can also play games like Goa or Caylus in under an hour. In addition, you might investigate some of the 2 player Age of Steam maps. Several "heavy" games scale to 2-players and are much quicker than in their multi-player incarnations. If you want something lighter, I actually prefer to play the Carcassonne series of games with only 2-players.

Edit: added game hotlinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twixt can go as deep as your opponent takes it. It often finishes in under 20 minutes. An hour would be a serious game. eBay always has several on auction, with photos. Don't forget the pie rule. It's an acquired taste; you might want to try it out on the Net first, at Little Golem or PBMserv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christa Haley
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some that I think are particularly good:

Pente
Ingenious
Ingenious: Travel Edition
Blokus
Blokus Duo
Flowerpower
Familienbande
YINSH
Fire and Ice
Fjords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.