Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Some 1PG Guild members are convening for 18XX. The players are (in randomly assigned seating order):

Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This will be an 18XX introduction game for, I think, most. Once you've received the dropbox share, the folder will contain .rails files, which are the game states, and a folder with a copy of rules and an archive folder to store previous saves.

You can use rails while you refer to the rules to inspect the map, stock market, tile mix, etc. The first window controls the initial auction we are starting out with. After this auction is done, we won't see this again. Rails will help you play by generally limiting all inputs to only those which are legally available.

At any time, you can use the "Rails: Game Status" window to open windows not currently shown (certain phases of the game will default to show only certain windows). Just use the "Options" menu and enable any or all of the data displays.

Make sure to understand the rules on personal liability for a corporation and bankruptcy. If you have questions, ask! Basically when the first 4-Train is bought and when the first 6-Train is bought, a bunch of trains go away and being ill-prepared can hamstring you. When the D-train gets bought, people often end the game with bankruptcy.

Remember that, as long as there is room in the pool to sell enough shares, a president can force the presidency on another player without their consent. You can always avoid being vulnerable to this, but often there are rewards to taking risks.

Finally, the companies are just things in the game. Consider them neutral. You don't owe them anything. You don't have to nurture a company through the game. The game only rewards personal worth. If you can increase your worth at the expense of the company you control only a percentage of, then bully for you! As above, though, if you can't get rid of a company then you will be liable to make sure it has a train later in the game and don't leave that until it's too late and you'll be fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Once everyone's familiar we can get started. Matthew will be the first to bid in the opening auction.

Whenever you take your turn in the game, go to the "Report Window" in the rails software and copy out the last section of events that correspond to the turn you just took. Paste this text into the thread as a notice and record of your turn. Finally, make sure whomever is the next player needed to act is clearly highlighted. This is sometimes done by adding a separate line such as "-> Matthew" using bold to make it clear at a glance. Other times, the last line in your turn log might already indicate who should act next. You can just select that line and click the bold toggle icon up top and submit.

So, the below is the first bit of the game report as I started the game. Good luck!

I should also mention that these rules are the 1830 original rules. In the new printing I guess they are called 'Classic' and are indicated as a variant.

(**)Game is 1830.
Player 1 is Matthew.
Player 2 is Justin.
Player 3 is Kevin.
Player 4 is David.
Player 5 is Wayne.
Each player receives $480 from the Bank.
The Bank has $9600.
Start of phase 2.
Bank size is $9600
================ Start of initial round ================
Matthew has the Priority Deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Converted the rules to PDF if it helps anyone (will me on my iPad)

Added to Dropbox
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to let you all know I've read through the rules once so far and will give them another look shortly. I expect to get my first action updated no later than tomorrow evening.

Edit: I've also been playing around with the rails program to make sure I don't end up up in a jam due to a PEBCAK error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the ins and outs of the rails software are an acquired skill that you guys will develop as you go. That's why we retail all the past turns in the archive folder, in case we need to go back and find where someone's train suddenly went missing.

One important note (and helpful tip) is that the report log window shows game entries often in blue hyperlinks. Clicking these hyperlinked log entries will jump your game to that point in the game state (time travel!). From here you can step forward or back using left/right arrows and I think the top of the window has an option to return to the current game state.

Especially as you guys are learning, I recommend that when you load up the save to do your own turn, you look back at the log of the previous turn(s) and if you need you can step back with the game to visualize the map changes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
(**)Matthew bids $165 on C&A. Remaining free cash $315. -> Justin

Woot! Looking forward to getting this rolling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I will act once I receive a response from one player from whom I still haven't had a final confirmation (email provided). If he's out, I'll just turn it into a 4P game on the fly. Regardless, I'll get my turn in once it's confirmed or by the end of this weekend if I don't get any response.

When a game thread has side chatter like this, it's a good idea to finish the aside by repeating the last prompt so that the last message in a thread always indicates who is currently the one to act.

-> Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay! We're all here now. These first turns can be crucial so make sure you understand the flow of this opening auction before you do something!

(**)Justin bids $170 on C&A. Remaining free cash $310.

-> Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Busy day today... will try to get up to speed and make my move tonight.

-> Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Okay! We're all here now. These first turns can be crucial so make sure you understand the flow of this opening auction before you do something!

(**)Justin bids $170 on C&A. Remaining free cash $310.

-> Kevin

I'm a noob, it's the first turn, and you're already giving me grief. I see how it's going to be.

-> Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you bid on the clear best private company which is a great start. The important thing here is just the cascading effect of purchasing the private on offer and that everyone generally wants to have some hands in some of the upcoming auctions before seeing it bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will have a look a the rules tomorrow

-> Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Actually, you bid on the clear best private company which is a great start. The important thing here is just the cascading effect of purchasing the private on offer and that everyone generally wants to have some hands in some of the upcoming auctions before seeing it bought.

True enough. I did see a potentially nice combo with a nearby corporation when making that bid.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I also had the hope that SVN&RR would be passed by a round or two to drive the price down.

-> Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Unexpected real life things have kept Kevin from getting time to prepare for and start this game, so please sit tight, I'm having the seat filled shortly and we will resume as it stands, as he hadn't bid yet.

Stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
(**)Kevin bids $75 on D&H. Remaining free cash $405. -> David

Hey everyone. I'm jumping in for Kevin, so until the name is sorted out, I guess I'm Kevin.

And to be nice, I won't pile onto the C&A bidding war. (yet devil)

-> David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read the rules properly, my son has the flu and I haven't had 30 free minutes yet but what the hell, let's play this :-)

I'll speed the reading

->Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
And to be nice, I won't pile onto the C&A bidding war. (yet devil)

I am going to refrain from offering any strategic advice in this game and will limit comments responding to questions about rules or rails usage. Since it's nice and early still, however, I do want to mention that you should not be nice in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Enderus wrote:
I haven't read the rules properly, my son has the flu and I haven't had 30 free minutes yet but what the hell, let's play this :-)

I'll speed the reading

->Wayne

Hi David,

There's no file in the folder relating to your turn which Wayne can continue from. Were you intending to pass for this turn? I suspect you wanted to make a bid on something (you should!). Bidding on any of the 2nd to 5th privates would be a sensible first move.

So until we know what you want to do, it remains:

-> David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uploaded

->Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
David indicated to me via PM that he was sure he had left the file, and now revisiting dropbox again I see he did indeed. It must have been a folder cache issue or something because I was only seeing the _David version at the time.

One note: please paste the text from your turn as part of your message as below. It helps everyone flip through the game log in the thread chronologically.

(**)David bids $45 on C&StL. Remaining free cash $435.

-> Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(**)Wayne buys SVNRR for $20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:

Hi Wayne (and a reminder for anyone else), please remember to close your turn message with a line indicating in bold who is the next player needed to act. Also, it's helpful if you paste the whole text log of the turn for added context, as below:

David buys C&StL for $45
Kevin buys D&H for $75

-> Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Wasn't expecting that. But I was thinking of doing it myself.

Justin, it's around the table for M&H now, right?
Derr. N'mind.

David buys C&StL for $45
Kevin buys D&H for $75

-> Matthew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
Wasn't expecting that. But I was thinking of doing it myself.

Justin, it's around the table for M&H now, right?
Derr. N'mind.

David buys C&StL for $45
Kevin buys D&H for $75

-> Matthew

I was hoping it would go around the turn and I could save 5 bucks. Ah well. I'll take my turn tonight at some point.

-> Matthew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
(**)Matthew bids $185 on C&A. Remaining free cash $295.

-> Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.