Subject: How much should Heroes know? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt K
United States
Cookeville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Do the Hero players get to know all of the special conditions and Event results for an encounter beforehand? I couldn't find any specific mention of what players should and should not be told (other than when the OL specifically makes a secret decision, such as hiding the princess), which would lead me to believe that they are told everything, but then I'm not sure why they separated the Hero and Overlord books.

Especially in "In the Heart of Darkness" it seems like the fact that monsters could be roused through the Event would be much more interesting and thematic if it was not known beforehand. In "For All of Ophir's Gold" it seems more exciting if the Heroes don't know they get the Key from killing the Captain. It also seems odd that the heroes know the exact contents of the asset decks beforehand.

I am not proposing houseruling, I am just curious if the actual intent is for all players to know everything in a scenario. Has this been specifically stated? Did I miss it in the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone should know everything about the scenario, except for things that are secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
To be fair it's entirely up to how the scenario is written however all monolith scenarios are visable to players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it's all open information.

That said, our group immediately decided that the players wouldn't know the list of items available in chests for a given scenario. They preferred to discover that for themselves, and open chests without knowing in advance what they might find there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JDarlington wrote:
Yup, it's all open information.

That said, our group immediately decided that the players wouldn't know the list of items available in chests for a given scenario. They preferred to discover that for themselves, and open chests without knowing in advance what they might find there.

If i were your OL in such a game, i'd fill the deck with the blank cards .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I've seen a few posts asking about this sort of thing. I don't think some people 'get' this game. It's a competitive game. It's not an RPG or even a dungeon crawl. You can play it as such if you wish... but that's not how it is designed. It's designed as a tactical game. Of course both players should understand all of the parameters they're dealing with. Of course all information is open. The OL doesn't 'control' this game as he would a dungeon crawl. He is just another player, equal to the heroes. He isn't the arbiter, he isn't the revealer, he isn't the storyteller. He's just a player with his own rules and objectives.

As for the monster statues... what sort of naive fool wouldn't realize they are going to come to life???? As someone who has played dungeon crawls and RPGS since childhood and Hero Quest... I see a monster statue then I'm staying away from it! It would be more surprising if they didn't come to life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
United States
Cookeville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hmmm. I get what you're saying, and I totally acknowledge that at least with our given Official scenarios this is the way Monolith means it to be played (although I think they should have stated that more explicitly in the rules books). But I don't think OL specific info is contradictory to it being a competitive or tactical game. My crew also plays a lot of Imperial Assault, and that game is EXTREMELY competitive and tactical for both sides, but also includes many twists and surprises based off of reactions to player actions, which only the Imperial player knows in advance.

I think as more scenarios, both Official and player created, are released, we will start to see use of Reaction Events and Surprise OL Abilities. To this end, I think Monolith should acknowledge in their scenarios, even the already created ones, what info is open to all and what (if any) might be a surprise (example: the separate entries in Betrayal at House on the Hill where it says What Everyone Knows and What You Know.) That way, we've got a precedent set if they start utilizing the option in the future, and players needn't call shenanigans.

One of the strengths of this game is the vibe it gives off, eliciting the same excitement and tension I've seen in a lot of RPG's, and I think anything they can do to help ratchet up the intrigue or apprehension would just boost that experience for all of us (maybe only one statue animates? maybe only if we do a certain thing? who knows, be careful! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My players like to play it with limited information. They actually said they would have preferred that in first scenario that at least the Giant Snake had been hidden until they entered the hut. We played scenario 2 tonight and they did not learn Skuthus abilities until he used them.

it makes it harder on the players but they seem to like the adventure aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played the first play throughs of each scenario hidden information for players...increases the fun aspect quite a bit. After, when replaying with same group, we just put out the models etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.