Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't so much an issue with the rules which makes the game unplayable or anything, more a musing as to why this particular wording is required:

I really don't understand why the Door and the Divine Theatre wonder need to specify that the mythology card is activated for free when it's clearly not. You have to pay double the cost of its position in the pantheon for the Door and you need to actually build the Divine Theatre in order to use it.
Nowhere in the rules for any god card does it specify that it is activated for free, nor do any of the god cards have any additional cost beyond the purchase price on the Divinity board. It seems really odd that the specific for free wording is in there as all God cards are activated in exactly the same way as the Door (except that the Door is twice as expensive).

I can only assume this was put in as a clarification after play testing however it seems completely redundant to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you would have preferred "without further cost", which feels more accurate to me. But to be fair, we also know what "for free" means in this context, so... meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Perhaps you would have preferred "without further cost", which feels more accurate to me.

I agree, that does seem more accurate. But even so, why is it necessary? And if it wasn't free, what would the extra cost be? When there is no possible extra cost that could be paid, why is it there at all?

Don't worry, I realise how pedantic this line of questioning is blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
I found this weird as well. It almost made me wonder if you could pick ANY of the revealed gods... including those on the Pantheon not yet purchased. (But I'm pretty sure not.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Penguinised wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Perhaps you would have preferred "without further cost", which feels more accurate to me.

I agree, that does seem more accurate.

For what it's worth, apparently so did the translator of the German edition,
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
. The German rulebook says "ohne weitere Kosten" (which means "without further cost").
However, the French original doesn't, it says "gratuitement", for which "for free" is an accurate translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.