Popular Tags: FAQ [+] Errata [+] Gloomhaven [+] Reference [+] [View All]
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This FAQ has moved! Follow this link to the new FAQ.

Please post all future comments about the FAQ on the new thread AFTER reading its introduction for the posting rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Official FAQ
I may have gone a little overboard with the game play questions. I don't want the space to get too cluttered, so also let me know if you think something is sufficiently covered by the rules and shouldn't be included here. Some things obviously are, but they were asked enough that I thought I'd include them anyway.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, this is superb! Fantastic even!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - this is really great stuff!! Thanks for doing this - it will be really helpful and it already gave me more insight into the rules of the game.
I have one question, though:

Quote:
What's the difference between an attack and an attack action?
And attack is a single attack on a single target that flips over a single attack modifier card. And attack action constitutes all the attacks made with a specific action (entire top or bottom half of an ability card). If your attack action is, say, "Attack 3," then there is only one attack in your attack action. If is "Attack 3, Range 3, Target 3," then your attack action consists of three separate attacks.
It was a bit confusing to understand, why the last example would be three attacks...but after looking into the rulebook again, it became clear (so I used the rulebook as an FAQ to your FAQ )
Maybe it would be helpful, if not all the numbers was three (Attack 3, Range 3, Target 3 and three keywords in addition to this ) - maybe "Attack 2, Range 3, Target 4 would be up to four seperate attacks, because Target allows you to attack four enemies with one attack each."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Oakman
United States
Meadville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so hard not to click on those extra class spoiler tags though! Hahah. Thanks a lot Isaac! You are a gentleman among barbarians!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome Isaac! Now I'm just short of one thing to put those FAQ items to bear: my copy of the game. ^.^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
I may have gone a little overboard with the game play questions. I don't want the space to get too cluttered, so also let me know if you think something is sufficiently covered by the rules and shouldn't be included here. Some things obviously are, but they were asked enough that I thought I'd include them anyway.

Haha, first of all, very well done! But on the other hand... well this is awkward... I already compiled every single question inside the rules subsection of this forum and was about to structure these over the weekend for an unofficial FAQ thread later on. This time it was you who saved me a lot of trouble and time!

I will list everything I still have in my list not already listed in your FAQ. Whether you find it noteworthy is of course completely up to you. Most of this is in fact covered by the rules, because the rules as written are very comprehensive and well structured, but some things will probably come up anyway.

GENERAL RULES

Player turns:

When performing a short rest and you choose to suffer 1 point of damage to choose another random card to be lost, is it possible to negate this damage by use of items or previously played cards that provide a persistent bonus, e.g., "Frost armor"?
Yes, this is considered damage (not from an attack, though), so it can be negated by certain bonuses.

When you have no cards left in hand but still have two in the discard pile, you are allowed to make a Full Rest. However, you will be reduced to an immobile meat shield, correct?
Yes.

Is it possible to target the same enemy using a ranged attack with multiple targets?
(using the Scoundrel's Throwing Knives for example)

It is not possible to target the same enemy more than once with a multi-target attack. If there is only one enemy in range, you would only attack that enemy once.

Maybe in addition to the already covered difference between an attack and an attack action:
If you receive a bonus for your attack action, then that would count for all attacks performed with the action.

Bonus for adjacent allies:
The bonus effect is like a movable aura continuously centered and originating from the specific character.
(This is basically mentioned in the Tinkerer's section)

A hero can open a door during any part of a player hero's movement. Can a hero be forced to open a door if pushed onto one?
No, a hero can only open a door with their own movement. They can't open a door with forced movement. A door is a wall until a player willingly enters the hex.

Other scenario game play:

unoccupied hex:
no figures present

empty hex:
no figures, tokens, or overlay tiles of any kind present except corridors and open doors. Thus, once a door is opened, it is considered to be an empty space.

Advantage including rolling modifiers:
When you have advantage you draw two modifier cards. And then:
- Both cards are non-rolling modifiers: You apply only the better of the two.
- One is a non-rolling modifier and the other is a rolling modifier: You apply them both.
- Both cards are rolling modifiers: You keep drawing cards until you get a non-rolling modifier. Then, you apply all the cards you've drawn together.

Basically, if the first card being drawn is a rolling modifier, then there's no difference between having advantage and not having advantage.

If a player applies a curse effect to a monster, the curse card goes into the collective monsters' attack modifier deck, right? This means that cursing a monster may cause a different monster to miss later.
You are correct. Curse and bless are effectively shared between the monsters.

Can I lose an active card above my character board to negate damage taken?
No, you can only lose a card from your hand. You can pick the card you lose, but if you have no cards in hand and the damage drops you to zero or fewer hit points, then you are definitely exhausted. You should be wary of this and make sure it doesn't happen.

Traps:
Traps have no memory (other than what type of trap they are). Once they are set, they will spring when either a monster or hero steps on them.

A trap is not an enemy attack, so they work normally with invisible figures. An invisible figure can trigger traps as usual but remains invisible.

Area Effects:
- Any rotational orientation of the depicted diagram is valid.
- Each target constitutes a separate attack, but all attacks together make up a single attack action.
- A cluster of multiple hexes is in range as long as at least one of those hexes is within range.
- They do not affect allies. Besides, you cannot target allies with attacks under any circumstances.

Failed Scenario:
You can either immediately do the scenario again, or do a "town refresher" and then a road event before you do the scenario again. When you do a scenario again, looted chests don't respawn, but everything else is reset. And there is no penalty for failure.

After completing a scenario do the players remove any wounds and conditions or only if they go to the city?
Players remove all wounds and conditions at the end of each scenario.

When a character "retires", do you get your choice of which character to try next?
Yes. There's no restriction from stopping you to play the same class over again if you really want to.

Battle Goal Card: Protector
You can still complete the battle goal if you become exhausted yourself as long as the scenario is still successful.

ITEMS
All potions work the same way. They refresh automatically at the end of each scenario. They are one use only during a scenario.

You can use an item after your second action if it just says "during you turn." Your turn doesn't end until you say it does.

You can own any number of items (but only one copy of each). It is not limited only to what you can equip. So for example, when you loot armor from a chest and already have armor, you still get to keep the armor you got, you just won't be able to equip it until next scenario. Actually, since you can only equip items in between scenarios, even if you weren't wearing armor, you'd still have to wait to equip the armor you just got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Linnemann
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, this is exciting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Seafall it apparently takes six months or more after the game comes out to get official answers to basic questions about how to play the game. In Gloomhaven it takes negative time. Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You said we could post questions here, right? I don't know if they've been adressed yet (probably) but here goes:

1) If a hero has an area attack, is it possible for an ally to be hit?

2) When you're doing the random dungeon generator, do you also have a road encounter before heading off, and a town encounter afterwards?

3) This has been talked about before, but I just want to make sure. If an enemy has "retaliate", this will only trigger if it has already taken its turn this round, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1, I'll put in the FAQ. Its answer is in the rule book, but it gets asked a lot.
2, good question. The answer is no, since random dungeons are separate from the campaign, but I'll add it to the FAQ.
3, this is already answered in the FAQ, with the question about monster bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's some for the FAQ:

Does Isaac like hugs? Would he appreciate them from strangers?

After the game is released, what will I look at on the internet every day?

Recommended music to play during Gloomhaven? Tori Amos? Or 80's sitcom theme songs?

Will Gloomhaven fill the hole inside my being?

If I accidentally open one of the boxes or envelopes before I'm supposed to, how many lashings should my friends apply to me? How much shame?

Will someone just hold me?

I checked the rules and these didn't seem to be covered, so thanks a lot in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just went through all the character ability cards and made notes on all the ones I felt could lead to confusion. I know you are hungry for any information you can get on the game, but I would strongly advise against clicking on those spoiler boxes.

This is what I do on my days off.

Haha, just kidding. I don't get days off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:

This is what I do on my days off.

Haha, just kidding. I don't get days off.

Sounds like someone needs a hug....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
G├╝tersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Can you explain the timing of elemental infusions?
Yes, the main take-away here is that any elements you create on your turn do not get moved to the strong column until the end of your turn. This means that you cannot create an element (that wasn't already present) and then consume it on the same turn because it won't be available to be consumed until the end of your turn. On the up side, this also means that if an element is already strong or waning at the start of your turn, you can create the element again with your first action, consume the existing element with your second action, and then the element will still go up to strong at the end of your turn even though you just used it.
I think I understand how this is supposed to work but it feels overly complicated.
Is there a reason why you don't just infuse an element the moment you use the action that tells you to and comsume it the same way.
I understand that this would make it much easier to combo of my own actions in infusing an element and consuming it in the same turn, but its just so much easier to understand.
So the question would be is this for balancing purposes or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it is balancing. If you can create an element and then use it immediately, the characters who can do that would be way too powerful (having now played it a bunch of times).

But - having it go on at the end is really important because then you can.

Round 1: Create Fire
Round 2: Use that Fire, but then do another action which creates more Fire
Round 3: Use the Fire, do something awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Meissner
Scotland
Edinburgh
Lothians
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Pretty sure it is balancing. If you can create an element and then use it immediately, the characters who can do that would be way too powerful (having now played it a bunch of times).

But - having it go on at the end is really important because then you can.

Round 1: Create Fire
Round 2: Use that Fire, but then do another action which creates more Fire
Round 3: Have an Ice Cream, Fire decays one step
Round 4: Use the Fire, do something awesome.

Don't think this would work, as at the end of round 2 Fire would go down to waning and at the end of round 3 it would disappear and wouldn't be available in round 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkValor wrote:
Don't think this would work, as at the end of round 2 Fire would go down to waning and at the end of round 3 it would disappear and wouldn't be available in round 4.
oops. edited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are balancing reasons, and the emphasis of the system is on forward planning and interaction between the players and enemies (i.e. I create earth so you can use it). If you could just create an element and then use it the same turn, well, it would make things less interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Iguana
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Isaac,

Great start for a FAQ!

I have a question about a certain interaction with AOE attacks and a certain attack modifier card:
1) I use an area attack move. (Say there's 3 targets in the area of the attack.)
2) I draw an attack modifier for each of the targets of the attack. The first attack modifier card is a rolling modifier that has ADD TARGET on it, then the second is a +1.

What happens?
- Do I not get any benefits because I happened to draw the ADD TARGET on an AOE move?
- Do I attack one of the 3 targets in the AOE a second time?
- Do I perform an additional AOE attack after the first one?

I'm guessing that you probably just don't get any benefits but I'd figure I'd clarify.

Thanks again, and can't wait to get the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll write up something on ADD TARGET, since it can be a little confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(This question contains teensy spoilers -- the name of some the Brute's advanced ability cards but not what they do.)

I'm still confused about how you access new cards when leveling up. (Just so we have a reference, let's say we're talking about the Brute, with 10 cards.) So from the beginning the Brute has access to 13 cards -- the full hand of lvl 1 and 3 X cards -- from which I construct a 10-card hand each session. I can modify this hand for the next scenario however I want so long as I take exactly 10 of the 13-card pool.

Then the Brute levels up. I pick Fatal Advance, one of the 2 lvl 2 cards. Now I have a 14-card pool from which to build a 10-card hand for my next session. But I cannot use Juggernaut, the other lvl 2 card.

Eventually the Brute gets to lvl 3. Now I take another card. I could take either of the lvl 3 cards OR Juggernaut. But only one. I take Brute Force. Therefore I now have a 15-card pool (10 lvl 1 cards, 3 X cards, Fatal Advance and Brute Force), but I'm not allowed to include Juggernaut or Hook and Chain in my hand when I start the next scenario. So my character is never going to have access to a pool which includes Juggernaut, and once I hit level 9, I will have a card pool of 22 cards, with 9 cards always unavailable. Is this correct?

The alternative (which seems to make more sense, but doesn't appear to be what the rules say) is that a level 4 character can build his hand with any lvl 4 card, but just one, and a single lvl 3 card, and a single lvl 2 card, and as many X and lvl 1 cards as he wants to make up the difference. (Or if I wanted, no lvl 4 cards, both lvl 3 cards, one lvl 2, etc.)

Sorry if this is a confusing question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, your first example is correct, so I'm not sure what's confusing you. You seem to have it right from the rules. (Well, except you could still pick up Juggernaut at level 4, 5, 6, etc. if you want, so I don't know about never.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Meissner
Scotland
Edinburgh
Lothians
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small question about armor, for example the chainmail depicted in the rules. Do I have to activate it to gain the effect or does it activate at the start of the scenario? And if I activate it, when can I do it? Only on my turn, anytime it fits (i.e. when I get attacked in case of the chainmail)?

I guess it is in the rules, but still kind of confused me in the case of armor.

Cheers
Nils

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [119] |