6 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: How many ships are fun to play with if you are 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blonde Cobra
msg tools
mbmbmb
How many ships are fun to play with if you are 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With two, you could have an enjoyable game with a single ship apiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that if you're 2, you prefer to play with the box.

No, seriously, one ship each works well, or perhaps two ships each. More than that seems a burden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gurgeth wrote:
How many ships are fun to play with if you are 2?

1 ship each, no more than 2 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With basic rules or standard rules (i.e. without the crew actions, etc.) we handle 2-3 easily, and I could probably stretch to 4 or even 5.

With the full advanced rules, 2 is about the most any one player would want to handle.

Ares has promised a "large fleet" rule set, but so far nothing has been seen of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree it depends a bit on the rules and fleet mix, but in general I would stick to two or one each. Personally I like the advanced rules plus just a couple optionals, and at that level one SOL and one frigate is about what I can handle without my head exploding. You could do more either if you were using some of the tiny stuff though (small frigates or sloops), or if you are using only the basic rules, but even then the sensible limit is probably 4 per player.

Another thing to consider is that one map really only has enough maneuver room to handle about 4 ships for the Enemy in Sight scenario, two per side. Trying to pack more ships in there (especially additional SOLs) can result in weird collisions. You'll need either more space or a scenario which uses the maneuvering space more economically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.