Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd post it here for comments/feedback:

The idea is I would eventually print it out 28x24 using Inkedgaming (2-player playmat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:
I thought I'd post it here for comments/feedback:

The idea is I would eventually print it out 28x24 using Inkedgaming (2-player playmat).

This is easier to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
France is a tad too green, imho. Could be more light blue. Otherwise, quite nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick, inital thoughts:

• Looks very clean and readable. Nicely done.

• I like the fact that you haven't named Ireland, Switzerland, Cyprus, etc. Most maps do.

• My personal preference would be to colour/shade all of the inaccessible spots the same colour. I realize, for example, that Ireland is portrayed as English on most maps, but I think this is unnecessary.

• I believe that "Tyrrhenian" is the correct spelling, not "Tyrrhennian". Also, "Eastern Mediterranean" is misspelled on your map.

• "Napoli" should probably be changed to "Naples", since all of the other locations in Italy are in English.

• I would, personally, put a letter space between "St." and "Petersburg".

• I think the words "Spain", "North Africa", etc. should be the same size as the names of the other locations on the map.

• Belgium is too small and Picardy is too big on this map. If you look at other Dip maps, you'll see that Belgium extends much further west, into Picardy. This is important because it makes it much clearer that Belgium borders both the North Sea and the English Channel.

• I have to think about the colour that you've given to the location titles on the map. Not sure yet if I like it or not. I suppose I love to see a comparison between what you have now and a map that had all of the location titles in black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks (to all) for all the feedback, I will probably incorporate most if not all changes when I get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated map with changes based on the feedback. I think it's much better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another update, it's been a while and the map has gone through a few iterations.

Still looking for people's thoughts. At some point I'll have to stop.

The biggest challenge/roadblock is how different England is from all the other nations size-color-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
mb
Nice map. I would use blue only for the sea. Maybe a light orange could fit well for England using a different tone than Turkey.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
1974vertigo2009 wrote:
Nice map. I would use blue only for the sea. Maybe a light orange could fit well for England using a different tone than Turkey.

Regards

The problem with using blue only for the sea when making a map for Diplomacy is the little issue where 2 of the 7 powers have pieces in shades of blue: light blue for France, dark blue for United Kingdom.

And of course, using white for the color of the sea comes up against white being the color for Russia.

Perhaps a "wine-dark sea" would work here...

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You are never going to please everybody... especially with something subjective like color. Personally, I liked the colors in the earlier versions slightly better, this map looks a bit washed out. But that's just me; as I said, everybody is going to have opinions on color. In either case, England is perfectly fine.

I like the canal in Kiel.

I'm on the fence with you showing 3-letter abbreviations. Trying to put myself in the hands of a newer player - what would they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
mb
midnight_reaper wrote:

The problem with using blue only for the sea when making a map for Diplomacy is the little issue where 2 of the 7 powers have pieces in shades of blue: light blue for France, dark blue for United Kingdom.

Of course: I forgot about matching with the playing pieces.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUIZ NETO
Brazil
flag msg tools
What a lovely map! Really enjoyed both the feel and the choice of colors. Do you accept suggestions?

1) MAO should be renamed MID, and NWG renamed NRG per Diplomacy's rulebook. Also helps avoid confusions with NAO/NWY.

2) Most Avalon Hill maps - the most recent one included - paints the unnamed islands. Which means Ireland should be painted blue, for example.

3) Balkan borders are a bit off - like Greece eating Bulgaria's southwest, and Montenegro being shared by Austria and Serbia.

Thanks for your superb work, it's now Diplomacy best fan-made map by far. Way better than the one used at WDC (Stevastopol, cough cough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I am mostly continually unhappy with the font/labelling so continue to iterate, but I will look at incorporating your feedback.

j.,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUIZ NETO
Brazil
flag msg tools
EDIT: Besides MAO and NWG, TYS (Tyrrhenian Sea) should also become TYN to comply with the rulebook.

@John, have you considered "equalizing" the neutral spaces i.e. making them the same tone of brown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUIZ NETO
Brazil
flag msg tools
Also: can you upload (or allow me to upload) the most recent map on imgur? I linked the map on the Diplomacy subreddit (/r/diplomacy) but Board Game Geek requires registration to see images.

Your work is absolutely amazing and deserves to be seen; I only stumbled upon it by accident on Google Images' page 8 or so.

The map used at the World Diplomacy Championship was shared on the web, became popular and got large exposition. Yours deserve much more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, just please mark it as a WiP (work in progress).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUIZ NETO
Brazil
flag msg tools
Will do so. Thanks! I'll post the link on /r/diplomacy alone, with the proper credits.

EDIT: Since your map is my current wallpaper, I noticed another thing: "Tunisia". In the early 20th century "Tunis" and "Tunisia" were interchangeable terms, and Calhamer chose the former when making Diplomacy back in 1959. It's official to this day, so I think it fits better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should add the latest gallery here as well as r/Diplomacy.

https://imgur.com/a/8ZnCN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.