Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Ingebrigtsen
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played Pitt of Pillars today with a friend. There are some vagueries in the rules that affected play. What does it mean when the rules say "Each has a sufficient number of men and a sufficient number of pillars"? How many men and Pillars is sufficient to play the game? We played the game with 15 each of backgammon playing pieces and 8 each of chess pawns. When I ran out of playing pieces, and my opponent still had several pieces in his stock, the game was pretty much over for me. Is 15 enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!

Mr. Freeling doesn't seem to have the habit of subscribing to his own games, but I'm certain that he would answer if you PM'd him. But maybe I can answer your questions.

How many pieces are enough? Well, in the example game on Christian's website, they use 15 per player, but it could be more. If you want to make sure, follow the example of Go sets - use enough to fill the board, so 30 per player. My gut tells me that 20 should be enough, though.

One part of the rules I had trouble with, and I'm not sure you're having too, is the concept of reserves. See, in the entering phase, suppose you have 30 pieces per player, more than enough. Before you start the moving stage, put all leftover pieces back in the box. When it mentions entering a man, now, you can only do so from your reserves. And you don't have any reserves in the beginning of the game! You can't take them from the box! So they're not infinite, you see. I had to see the example game to figure that out.

Now about the number of pillars, that seems more difficult to answer. What I would do is use smaller, neutral colored pieces. Put one of those on top of a man, and bam, it's a pillar. It's more flexible than having a set for each color. That could theoretically mean requiring more than 30 men per player, but I doubt it. Though I still don't know how many such neutral pieces you'd need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.