Subject: Agricola Revised Edition Cards as Stand Alone Purchase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathyr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know whether they will be releasing the new card decks (A and B) from the Revised edition as a stand alone product we can purchase if we own the original edition? I've seen the question asked several times on older threads, but there wasnt any answer. I saw that English language standlalone decks might have been available at a convention, but didn't see if they were made (or will be made) available to the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen nothing announced, but would be a little surprised by it. A significant number of the revised cards are nothing more than straight transfers from the original deck. I'd have to think the market for a stand-alone revised deck would be minuscule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as i know, the english version of the upgrade kit can not be purchased. They only distribute it at conventions.

The german version of the upgrade kit can be purchased in Lookout games online store for 5 euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to pick up the English upgrade kit at GenCon 2016. Haven't seen it anywhere else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the time being, the English upgrade kits are convention-only availability. Moving forward, the upgrade kits will make less and less sense, especially where there are parts–those included in the 5-6 player extension for 6 players, for example–that are completely incompatible with the previous edition. (Yes, I know, handwave-timey-wimey make it work, but STILL.) Speaking personally, I kinda expect casual old-school completists to drop off with the WizKids release (which to be crystal-clear, is a WizKids release, so the 120 new cards that will appear there are NOT our cards for the time being and will NOT have a separate release for a good long while).

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games/Lookout Games/Twilight Creations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
For the time being, the English upgrade kits are convention-only availability. Moving forward, the upgrade kits will make less and less sense, especially where there are parts–those included in the 5-6 player extension for 6 players, for example–that are completely incompatible with the previous edition. (Yes, I know, handwave-timey-wimey make it work, but STILL.) Speaking personally, I kinda expect casual old-school completists to drop off with the WizKids release (which to be crystal-clear, is a WizKids release, so the 120 new cards that will appear there are NOT our cards for the time being and will NOT have a separate release for a good long while).

Alex Yeager

Can someone translate this for me? I read it a couple of times and still couldn't understand it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:

Can someone translate this for me? I read it a couple of times and still couldn't understand it...

* English upgrade kits will be only sold at conventions.
* Upgrade kits will not be made for 5-6 player extension, or other things with non-card components.
* Alex expects people who were hard-core completists from the old edition will not buy WizKids products.
* The 120 cards from WizKids releases will not be sold separately from the plastic farmer figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:

I can try again...

AlexYeager wrote:
For the time being, the English upgrade kits are convention-only availability.

Catch us at Origins, UK Games Expo, Gen Con or Essen (or have someone catch us on your behalf).

AlexYeager wrote:
Moving forward, the upgrade kits will make less and less sense, especially where there are parts–those included in the 5-6 player extension for 6 players, for example–that are completely incompatible with the previous edition.

Don't expect these to go on indefinitely for all releases. The 6-player only cards are by definition not compatible with the previous editions, and there will be effects that are dependent on the revised board effects, for example, that will have different effects than intended if using 1st edition material. The viability (and number of people being serviced by them) of upgrade kits moving forward is something we will be keeping a close eye on.

AlexYeager wrote:
(Yes, I know, handwave-timey-wimey make it work, but STILL.)

Y'all can make anything work with anything, with enough house rules and duct tape, but we might be over here shaking our heads at the ultimate effects on gameplay.

AlexYeager wrote:
Speaking personally, I kinda expect casual old-school completists to drop off with the WizKids release (which to be crystal-clear, is a WizKids release, so the 120 new cards that will appear there are NOT our cards for the time being and will NOT have a separate release for a good long while).

Alex Yeager is speculating (based on my very active twitchy completist gene) that once a particular release makes it difficult to maintain completeness, you undergo a cathartic release of the drive to collect everything. The WizKids figures (6 sets of player pieces, each with 20 unique cards) will be a moment where I speculate that some of the folks maintaining their first edition sets (of which I am one) will have to decide if they want to continue to do so or not. As we want to support the figure sets as much as possible, the cards that are included in the figure sets will be exclusive to those sets.

Alex Yeager
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hahaha, thanks Alex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathyr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks Alex! Now I can stop checking for it to be released online (and start looking for someone going to Gen Con 2017 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda suck that the rest of the world who doesn't go to the convention simply because of the location restrictions are screwed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're screwed because we're currently screwed for online sales through our website. Things are progressing behind the scenes, but this will be a direct-only product (along with the last couple hundred OMGoods expansions from Essen that are arriving soon), and if we have other means beyond shows, we'll scream it from the rooftops when it happens.

Alex Yeager
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathyr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would definitely appreciate an update if circumstances change, Alex. I understand where you are coming from in stating that backwards compatible support isn't going to happen into the future as the two products start to diverage.

My motivation for getting it is mainly because I fall into the "only play 3 or less times a year camp" that the revised deck is aimed at. I don't need a bunch a new cards going forward nor are the people I play with committed enough to the game to want to draft. So, having a balanced deck would be perfect. But, spending money on an entire new version of a game that I only get to the table 1-2 times a year is hard to swallow. Can't imagine I'm the only one in this position, so there might be a market for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathyr wrote:
Would definitely appreciate an update if circumstances change, Alex. I understand where you are coming from in stating that backwards compatible support isn't going to happen into the future as the two products start to diverage.

My motivation for getting it is mainly because I fall into the "only play 3 or less times a year camp" that the revised deck is aimed at. I don't need a bunch a new cards going forward nor are the people I play with committed enough to the game to want to draft. So, having a balanced deck would be perfect. But, spending money on an entire new version of a game that I only get to the table 1-2 times a year is hard to swallow. Can't imagine I'm the only one in this position, so there might be a market for it.

I think verdict is out on how much the reduced set of cards actually provides an even playing experience without a draft. That is certainly how reducing the card count was sold but verdict on the geek seemes to be mixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
nexbot wrote:

* English upgrade kits will be only sold at conventions.
* Upgrade kits will not be made for 5-6 player extension, or other things with non-card components.
* Alex expects people who were hard-core completists from the old edition will not buy WizKids products.
* The 120 cards from WizKids releases will not be sold separately from the plastic farmer figures.

Mayfair should hire darthnice to be their marketing guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.