Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: No replacement cards provided for any printing issues [Resolved] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I have a few cards that have printing blemishes on the back that make these cards uniquely identifiable, and I sleeve my cards to prevent damage or identifiable marks on them. Most of the issues probably won't seriously affect gameplay unless you're looking for it, but there is one damage card that has an obvious blue ink spot right near the middle (on brown). (I have a few of these blue spots on the command boards also, but this doesn't affect gameplay). I received this from Riot support:

Unfortunately, we can't guarantee that every card will be printed without imperfections. Many of these cards are designed to have a worn and rustic appearance. I'm afraid we won't be able to send you any replacements for those cards, but when our second wave hits we can at least get you the replacement cards for the Command Cards with the typos.

A worn and rustic appearance is not the same thing as printing issues. So they're happy to send cards that have typos, but not other printing issues. Every other company that has had issues with cards has sent me replacements. It's sad to see this isn't the case here.

Edit: Chris from Riot has sorted this issue and replacement cards are being sent out to me. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No replacement cards provided for any printing issues; buyer beware
Difficult to judge without some pictures of the cards in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is at least $40 less than its contents would suggest I don't think the cost of some opaque sleeves diminishes an otherwise fantastic presentation.

Sure it is annoying but we are look8ng at razor thin profit margins here. I would be surprised if they bank $10-$15 per unit sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Eater
msg tools
cinos wrote:

On a general note. I've noticed that 99% of these kind of threads provide no photos at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any problem with marked command cards or damage cards. This is a coop game and every card is open to all players to see. The only occasion a marked card might reduce your gaming experience is on boss' cards, since you might be able to know what card you might draw next time and strategise around that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden Meeple Eater wrote:
cinos wrote:

On a general note. I've noticed that 99% of these kind of threads provide no photos at all.

Did you know that over 90% of all statistics are made up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Matt Boehland wrote:
cinos wrote:

I heard that it was over 9000%.

FWIW, my command cards were miscut and I got them to send me a new deck. The new ones aren't much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whilst I do agree that in general since it's a coop printing issues are of a lesser concern in terms of affecting the game, that wasn't really my point in posting.

A card with printing issues would have to be at the top of the deck in order to influence any decision for the subsequent round.

My point was more about Riot's response that these are not replaceable. I've seen people mention damaged boxes (these also don't affect gameplay), and Chris was responsive to that. He's stated that Riot's goal was 100% player happiness and satisfaction.

Riot replied that they are happy to send out replacement cards for printing typos, so they're already paying the shipping costs, so what's another few cents for a few extra cards? It's a response that makes no sense to me, and I just wanted to let people know.

Two examples below of issues. Note that my camera isn't very good, and these issues are more noticeable in real life (eg, more vibrant colors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a black sharpie would solve the problem in your second picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:

No, appreciate the suggestion, but he shouldn't need a black sharpie. If it's defective and he's unhappy, then we should find a way to set it straight. I'll look into it and see where the breakdown happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the first card. 2nd card is easily fixable and I've seen that with many cards in other games. Usually I'm pretty anal about this stuff too but it really doesn't seem that bad to me.

I do understand that somethings may bother others more and they will want things 100% perfect, but I'm not sure if that really warrants replacement though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Normiyagi wrote:

No, appreciate the suggestion, but he shouldn't need a black sharpie. If it's defective and he's unhappy, then we should find a way to set it straight. I'll look into it and see where the breakdown happened.

This is great to hear.

While I do agree with Terence that these don't look like big issues to me (I'd just use a pen or pencil to make the edge damage less obvious, and might try something similar with the blue dot) I also recognise that many people are more bothered than I am (though I feel like I'm quite picky about such things as well).

I think the difference here is that Chris obviously has a good appreciation of what board gamers are happy with when it comes to production quality, while Riot support (who probably know little or nothing about board games since that's not their usual product line) look at it and think 'pfffft what's he complaining about!!!'.

My point being, if myself and Terrence think those look fairly minor and would probably just live with them, to a non-gamer they probably look like complete non-issues. So it's reassuring to know Chris is there fighting our side at every turn, and hopefully this will be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Riot ever say if they'd replace the card with the wrong values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:

Which card had the wrong values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
tlee33 wrote:

In mission 6:

Schematics: The “Tech Support” schematic has two different costs on the front and back of the card. The accurate cost is ‘7’.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:
tlee33 wrote:

In mission 6:

Schematics: The “Tech Support” schematic has two different costs on the front and back of the card. The accurate cost is ‘7’.

Cool thanks. Not quite to that mission yet so good to have a heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tlee33 wrote:

I asked that as part of my support request. The reply line "when our second wave hits we can at least get you the replacement cards for the Command Cards with the typos." was interpreted by myself as a yes they will. You need to wait until wave 2 has started to ship and then log a support request.

Are there other cards with typos or value/number errors? Because they say "cards" and "typos", instead of singular.

As for using a sharpie, I've considered such options in the past, paint being another, but I've always assumed that the color, texture etc will never match. Sharpies for eg can look quite a bit lighter in natural light. The card/paper they are used with can affect the final ink color also. So, I've always been afraid that it will actually make things more obvious.

As for the first image, there's a noticeable blue ink blotch right by the end of my finger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masaiko
msg tools
badge
mb
The support was also unable to replace the broken tray from my copy. It wasn't a big problem when I got the game but it's been getting worse even though I've tried to be careful when lifting it from the box.

I was told there are replacement parts for everything else but the trays.

It's still not a biggie but I'm usually super careful with my precious games. Especially with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
g54pcys wrote:
tlee33 wrote:

I asked that as part of my support request. The reply line "when our second wave hits we can at least get you the replacement cards for the Command Cards with the typos." was interpreted by myself as a yes they will. You need to wait until wave 2 has started to ship and then log a support request.

Are there other cards with typos or value/number errors? Because they say "cards" and "typos", instead of singular.

As for using a sharpie, I've considered such options in the past, paint being another, but I've always assumed that the color, texture etc will never match. Sharpies for eg can look quite a bit lighter in natural light. The card/paper they are used with can affect the final ink color also. So, I've always been afraid that it will actually make things more obvious.

As for the first image, there's a noticeable blue ink blotch right by the end of my finger.

No comment on the fact Chris is trying to get this sorted for you?

And, assuming he does, presumably the thread title will be edited to reflect the satisfactory resolution?

In the meantime, the reason that damage is noticeable is that it's white. I have had good success simply using a dark (or black 'coloured' pencil just to darken that visible part. That's all it takes - gently rub the edge of the 'lead' against the card.

Even if you ruin it (I'd bet that you won't if you're careful) it does look like you will get a replacement anyway. But at least it provides a temporary fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:

No comment on the fact Chris is trying to get this sorted for you?

I reached out via a PM, but havent heard back, yet. I'm sure I will when he finds time. I also had a conversation with our player support team and we landed on a different approach to replacing cards going forward. We're learning as we go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: No replacement cards provided for any printing issues
I hadn't noticed the PM, BGG is a very "busy" but fantastic site.

I do very much appreciate Chris' assistance, and yes, I'm more than happy to make any edits. To be clear, I'm not massively unhappy about the original denial for replacement cards with printing issues; that is a company's choice on what to support and we're already discussed the impact on this game. It was more that I didn't see the logic in that decision given that they were replacing some cards already (my other reply above already explains this). In hindsight the "buyer beware" part of the title was probably more than a little over the top. I'll remove this.

This is a fantastic game. Thanks Chris and everyone else involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
g54pcys wrote:
I hadn't noticed the PM, BGG is a very "busy" but fantastic site.

I do very much appreciate Chris' assistance, and yes, I'm more than happy to make any edits. To be clear, I'm not massively unhappy about the original denial for replacement cards with printing issues; that is a company's choice on what to support and we're already discussed the impact on this game. It was more that I didn't see the logic in that decision given that they were replacing some cards already (my other reply above already explains this). In hindsight the "buyer beware" part of the title was probably more than a little over the top. I'll remove this.

This is a fantastic game. Thanks Chris and everyone else involved.

Fair enough. And just to be clear, based on your initial experience the title was fair and justified.

Though, I would add that it seems Chris has agreed a new policy with the support team so others shouldn't have the same issue. If that is confirmed to be the case, I'd personally include a (RESOLVED!) tag to the title so it doesn't give the wrong impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
cinos wrote:

Balony! Everyone knows it 37,8 %.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that these cards, for whatever reason, seem to be more susceptible to obvious edge damage than many games. I borrowed a copy from a co-worker that's been played only a few times, and there are at least ten or fifteen cards with easily identified marks on them.

I think I'll be sleeving mine before first play when my copy arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My cards arrived with a number of very minor nicks to the edges (mostly corners) of many cards. I'm not concerned about this because they are far to0 many in number and minor and variable in location that none can be used to identify any card. The image shown is the only exception. But yes, in general I prefer cards that don't have black borders (despite the cool looking factor) for reasons such as this. I've had other games arrive with bad black borders, even after replacements (Lost Cities I'm looking at you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.