Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tavarua is a great little game that feels like surfing and plays great solo against AI!

I hadn't played since the summer so decided on a shortboard contest against 3 AI. I was Yellow.

There are so many fun situations that can come up in Tavarua!

Here myself and Green unsuccessfully tried to catch a barrel wave.

Here Green is trying to snake BLUE'S wave.

Sometimes it can get pretty busy out there with everyone desperate to score some points!

Sometimes, one takes just too many risks and looses a lot of points! BLUE failed to ride the barrel to the shore and therefore lost at least 10 points which is a 4.5 wave! But I caught it

In fact, that wave was amazing as I caught it at its peak, was able to do some fancy tricks and even performed a rail grab in the barrel! Whay is also interesting is all the tactical choices. Here, learning from Blue to be conservative, I decided to bail in order to score the points I had and not be too greedy.

FINAL SCORE:
BLUE: 10.5
GREEN+RED: 6.5
BLUE: 0.0

THOUGHTS:
thumbsup great theme and simulation
thumbsup beautiful components
thumbsup great solo rules that are simple to interpret
thumbsup fast play time

thumbsdown there is a fair amount of luck but I guess it's not really a con. I watch my son surf in competitions and sometimes the waves aren't there for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the rundown Jonathan! Really great with all the pictures too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.