Popular Tags: [View All]
Nelson Cox
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hats count for two spaces unless you received one the previous turn.

Thematically: If you didn't have a afternoon nap yesterday, take a double long one today.

Reasoning: Keeps the game from dragging without it ending too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GamingCoupleGA wrote:
Hats count for two spaces unless you received one the previous turn.

Thematically: If you didn't have a afternoon nap yesterday, take a double long one today.

Reasoning: Keeps the game from dragging without it ending too quickly.

My recommendation: Don't do that. But it is your game. So you can do whatever you want.

Just a hint from me: Try to pressure your opponents by using hats early. The game only lingers a bit if nobody takes hats. There are short and long strategies in this game. Your variant will break the long ones.

The game will linger long until the following happens: One of your gaming group tries a hat strategy. Your group will know after that play, how important it is to be able to control the game end. To not be outflanked on the siesta track. It will only take one play when the siesta player will win with 20 points over 10 points for all the other players that thought they have all the time in the world.

Try that before changing the rules. If you think the game needs a variant after experiencing this, you can do whatever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Cox
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for responding Ode.

What if Hats don't come up?(Dice Luck)

Or if Hats are equally gotten due to turn order, etc? Your suggesting they are powerful enough that this is mostly what should happen with skilled players and I agree.

This variant is to create a game that feels like you aren't able to do all you want so you have to focus on a strategy early. Finishing almost the whole sheet, in my opinion, is not a desirable outcome or length of game.

Another way to curb what can be accomplished is to have the last die left not count as revenue for anyone.

These are just possible ideas that I have to tailor the game to my play style more.

It is a lovely game though. I especially adore the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GamingCoupleGA wrote:

What if Hats don't come up?(Dice Luck)

They will come up. You know how unlikely it is for them to not come up? Dice are rolled over and over again. The only possibility is that players refuse to take them.

And another points: Players can get hats through other channels... There are ways. You just need to use them.

GamingCoupleGA wrote:

Or if Hats are equally gotten due to turn order, etc? Your suggesting they are powerful enough that this is mostly what should happen with skilled players and I agree.

This is not only concerning hats. Of course having the first pick gives you more choices. That is part of the game. Concerning all results. And hats are not more powerful than other results. Just like all other results they need to be taken when needed...

My recommendation: Play the game as it is until if you are able to have a reasonable opinion. If you are still wanting to change the rule then I will be quiet. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Does a fixed turn limit break the game in the same way? The solo game has a fixed length of 18 turns. I'm guessing you tried that in development? I love the solo game with this pressure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the thing about getting an extra hat would be that you could get way too much hats in one round. There is no roof tile with double hat for a reason (there was foro a long time).

If you want to count rounds, I guess 18 would be fine. I counted rounds during playtesting. Normally the game takes 13-17 rounds. But if no one collects hats it could easily be 20... 18 is the total maximum in the solo game. Most of the time the game will end before that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavi Bové
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game (3 players) took mire than 70 minutes and much more than 17 rounds...
I liked the first feelings a lot, but it ended taking too ling and also tension disappeared as everyone had chance to complete too many things...
A player that had more playes told us that he has had this feeling every time. Ee ended figuring out anither variant: every time teo or more hats are rolled in a roundresuce the siesta track one space, this will put more preassure, will make the game shirter (that is what I expect from this kind of games), and will make the game end inpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Cox
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After repeated plays we feel the best way to play for us has been to count every hat symbol as two, including roofs, helpers, etc. Even with this, and we take hats and hat helpers usually first, we are still able to complete all three carts and quite a bit of the rest.

The best cart uses hats so that keeps some off of the siesta board. We haven't tried a hat only strategy but that doesn't seem like a successful strategy since you can be denied a certain amount and you will be giving up more points elsewhere if you sacrifice too much for them.

Carts feel mandatory, but gunning for the other parts of the board depending on what the dice and other player gives you is rewarding. Always wanting to do a few things more but having done a lot is also a nice feel.

This is how we like it. Where we cannot fill in lots of areas but only some of all or most of a few. Also, at 30 minutes for 2 we feel the game doesn't wear out either. It makes us want to play again and we usually do flip the sheet and play once again since they were nice enough to be printed on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GamingCoupleGA wrote:
After repeated plays we feel the best way to play for us has been to count every hat symbol as two, including roofs, helpers, etc. Even with this, and we take hats and hat helpers usually first, we are still able to complete all three carts and quite a bit of the rest.

The best cart uses hats so that keeps some off of the siesta board. We haven't tried a hat only strategy but that doesn't seem like a successful strategy since you can be denied a certain amount and you will be giving up more points elsewhere if you sacrifice too much for them.

Carts feel mandatory, but gunning for the other parts of the board depending on what the dice and other player gives you is rewarding. Always wanting to do a few things more but having done a lot is also a nice feel.

This is how we like it. Where we cannot fill in lots of areas but only some of all or most of a few. Also, at 30 minutes for 2 we feel the game doesn't wear out either. It makes us want to play again and we usually do flip the sheet and play once again since they were nice enough to be printed on both sides.

Game is definitely broken if you want to play like that. Just saying.

But if it works for you, it's totally fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Cox
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really weird that you say that because it feels broken if we play by the original rules.

Look at the comment before mine.. and in the reviews by many. We aren't the only ones.

We really enjoy the game and it fired all "roll and write downs" when played this way.

Remember, I am only helping people like Bovelix above and his playing group and others who otherwise wouldn't want to play the game to now enjoy it.

I really like the game and I want others too as well. I'm sure anyone who owns it will play by your rules first. If it drags and they contemplate getting rid of it, I suggest a variant like mine before trading away or selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GamingCoupleGA wrote:

My assumption is, that you are playing something wrong here. You would only need 6 hat symbols to end the game. If you play like this I would finish the game before you even started to score anything...

By changing the value of the hats you change the balance of the game in favor of the short time strategies. Strongly. No long time strategy would have only the slightest chance against a fast player then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Storm
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
GamingCoupleGA wrote:

My assumption is, that you are playing something wrong here. You would only need 6 hat symbols to end the game. If you play like this I would finish the game before you even started to score anything...

By changing the value of the hats you change the balance of the game in favor of the short time strategies. Strongly. No long time strategy would have only the slightest chance against a fast player then.

Hats counting double seems like it would break the game. You would take hats every time, and take the helper that lets you convert crates to hats.

It would mean every hat is worth 2 victory points, and I doubt you can get than many points with any other die (consistently without some combo).

Also since you need the hats to get your extra tokens, which you really need if you are completing even 1 of the carts and putting a token up on the end of game VP track, it seems the game would be all about getting hats.

Even in a slow game it is impossible to complete everything! Usually you have to ignore something whether it is roofs or overseas, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.