Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a question mainly directed at the designers, but anyone with knowledge feel free to answer it... =)

I just bought DB (looks very nice, I'm well impressed!) and I'm really looking forward to playing it. I haven't had an RPG session for the last 15 years or so. Been looking for a board game which scratches the itch, as I don't feel compelled to role play - just play an RPG-system. This will be excellent for when me and my cousin get together for gameplayign bachelor's nights when our wives. =D

My biggest question though, what's the easiest option to get going. I've understood I need the D&D Player Handbook. Is that it? I'm all set after that?

Furthermore, which version is needed. Will 3.0 suffice, is there a huge difference with 3.5 and would I better off with that? Consider the following: I might be able to buy 3.0 player handbook, dungeon master book and monster manual really cheap, locally. For 3.5 i need to buy new or over eBay (probably overseas) - to roughly the same price as I can get all three books for 3.0... how much "better" is 3.5, from a Dungeon Bash perspective?

Cheers!
/Mattias - complete and utter d20 newbie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You can look up the d20 stuff online here: http://www.d20srd.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
You can look up the d20 stuff online here: http://www.d20srd.org/

Quite right, but I'm ONLY getting the D20 books for Dungeon Bash. =) Thus the general opinion on 3.0 might differ a lot between it's utility as a full RPG or just the rules framework for Dungeon Bash. That's the reason why I just can't Google the differences on 3.0 and 3.5 (which I have, by the way =) cause none of those sources take DB into account.

Even though that link answers none of my questions, thanks for your input. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download the current version of the d20 System Reference Document (a.k.a. the SRD3.5) at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
if you want to take a look at a printable version of the rules first.

From what I have read about Dungeon Bash -- and I should stress that I don't have the game myself -- it relies on d20 for rules about character creation, customization and advancement as well as combat. These could be printed from the site above. I don't know how much you would need from the rest of the ruleset. The Player's Handbook has information on lots of other stuff (let me know if you'd like more info and I'll find some for you in the next few days). The Monster Manual has more information on individual monsters (including pictures and flavor text) than you'll find in the SRD. I can't think of anything significant in the Dungeon Master's Guide that you would need, based on what I've read of DB.

A note on 3.0 vs. 3.5 from a Dungeons & Dragons perspective: 3.5 has a bunch of rules changes (some say fixes), but unless you're a serious, longterm player, I don't know that they would have much effect on your enjoyment of the system. I played 3.0 for a few years before converting to 3.5, and it worked fine; the only issue I can recall was converting published adventures from 3.5 to 3.0. If you're a rules junkie and want to go the cheap way without printing stuff out, go with 3.0, get the errata from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a and write it into the books where appropriate (i.e. the combat and character creation sections and any others you might use for DB).

Please keep us informed on what you decide to do and how it works out.

Edit: Please check out the following thread, if you haven't done so already, to get info on what's in the PHB but not in the SRD: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/156275
Looks like you would need the PHB (either 3.0 or 3.5) for a few things. And a table on experience earned for challenges (contact me for more info on this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've understood things - If I get the PHB (3.0 or 3.5) I won't have to print the SRD... am I right there? I have very sneakily acquired an... uhm... "preview version" of the 3.5 core rules which I've glanced through. It seems to contain all the things I'd need - except Dungeon Bash. =)

Judging from your comments I guess I'm best off with the 3.0 rules then - as it's the cheapest option and I won't use any 3.5 modules.

Thanks for your reply, Bernard!

/Mattias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in exactly the same situation when I bought DB.

Here's the MINIMUM requirements:

Source Books:
D&D Player's Handbook (3.0 or 3.5)
D&D Dungeon Master's Guide (3.0)

Printouts:
Dungeon Bash Rules
Dungeon Bash Challenges RTF (this contains all the monsters used in DB, if you want to design your own encounter tables, use the SRD monsters.)
Dungeon Bash Encounter Tables PDF
Dungeon Bash Treasure & Dungeon PDF

Here's my recommendation:
3.5 Player's Handbook. If you haven't played for a while, this is a MUST, I recently acquired the PHB 3.5 after playing with the 3.0 for a few months (on and off, about 6 games), and it's night and day. 3.5 is MUCH better laid out, with logical groupings of rules (especially for combat), and clear examples. Like the rules for squeezing, which I STILL can't find in 3.0.

3.0 Dungeon Master's Guide. There's practically NO rules changes for 3.5, (I'm comparing to the SRD, so no guarantees) the major canges, I'm lead to believe, are huge numbers of formatting improvments, examples and suggestions.
It's probably a must for a newbie DM, but exeything you need for DB is in 3.0.

As an aside here, the only thing you need from the DMG is the Experience Points by Chalenge Rating rewards table, everything else is in the SRD, albiet scattered and confusing.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks alot for the info, TigerAspect - I'll cruise eBay a bit then I guess. =)

Cheers!
/Mattias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me stupid, but I went and bought the PHB and DMG... just to play DB. Now, there's a matter of a whole lot of D&D Miniatures I bought off eBay as well...

Looking forward to trying it out solo on my vacation next week! Review, pictures and opinions to come.

The designer should write WotC and let them know how much money they've earned off me. Just don't tell my girlfriend. Please? =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Pietraszak
Germany
Aachen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to your review

As a sidenote, the game doesn't care much which version you're playing - just remember that all the stats are for 3.5. The difference isn't huge though, and 3.5 stats should work with 3.0 rules.

That said, DB should also work with later editions of RPG - as long as CR are implemented you're fine. Depending on the difference between 3.5 and 4.0 I'll either make the update available for free or as a small supplement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.