Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried a 3-player game with only three markets, or a 4-player game with only four markets?
Seems like it might make resources a little more scarce. Because that's the only thing I don't like about the 3-player game: you can get pretty much whatever you want from the markets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing with the Intense Auctions variant, Francis? With that official variant, players can buy more than one market a turn, meaning that there's competition throughout the auction phase. There's less overall scarcity (you'll each have more items), but there should be more competition for the really good sets, which might be an improvement for you. We think it's definitely the better way to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry, I admit I haven't tried the variant yet. I can see how it would put more heat on the auction phase with five players, but I'm not sure how it would help make things more difficult to get in a three-player game.
I guess I'll have to try the permutations and let you guys know what happened. I was sort of hoping someone had tried them already.
(Lazy me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How did fiddling with the size of the markets work out? I had similar thoughts and am curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:
How did fiddling with the size of the markets work out? I had similar thoughts and am curious.

I have yet to try another game with less than five players! All the games I've played since my original post were five-handed. How often do you find yourself with TOO MANY gaming buddies?
I find myself in the stupidest of predicaments.
Damn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Axelfudge wrote:

I have yet to try another game with less than five players! All the games I've played since my original post were five-handed. How often do you find yourself with TOO MANY gaming buddies?
I find myself in the stupidest of predicaments.
Damn.

Ehehehe, and all you want to do is test out your idea... Sounds like you have to send someone home next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:

Ehehehe, and all you want to do is test out your idea... Sounds like you have to send someone home next time!

I see you're a fellow Canadian: maybe you could come over next time and--
Oh, nevermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:

Hey!
I finally tried another game of Colosseum today, with only three players. We played with the rule discussed above: as many markets as there are players.
And it worked wonders! It kept the game really tight, much like a five-handed game. Compared to my previous three-player games, where everyone could pretty much always get what they needed, this was tense and exciting.
I'll always use this houserule from now on.
Try it, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.