Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrin Lauritzen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use treachery cards to stop a player from bidding before he's done so? (I.e. "I'm auctioning off da Vinci. I'm starting the bid a '3', and oh, BTW, Chad, you can't bid...")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greene
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Stop bid before player makes one
Kilgore1313 (#25226),

Per the rules, on your turn of the bidding, you play the FREEZE BID treachery tile, and say "you cannot raise your bid" to the player you want to stop frm bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Mulder
Netherlands
Voorhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kilgore1313 (#25226),
Our group had this discussion too.
The best way to play (Because it prevents BIG frustration) is to let a player make one bid and only after that bid allow the card to be played against them.

This is actually also what it says on the card. I don't know any official ruling but I strongly reccomend to play it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore1313 (#25226),

The tile list in French rules (which incorporate errata) seem pretty clear that the only restriction on playing Freeze is that you cannot do so if you have previously passed in the auction. The tile is really intended to kick someone out of the auction, but has the special case that if you play it on the lead bidder, pass, and then nobody tops the bid then you've wasted the tile because the person that you froze will get the item being auctioned. (Without this special case it would be the `whoops, I forgot my wallet' card which would rewind the bidding.)

Freeze bid (x8). You can play this card when it is your turn to raise (even if you choose to pass). You can play this card which counters any other player. This player cannot increase his bid the following time where he could do it, which will probably force him to leave the bidding. You cannot play this card if you already have left the bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brink
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kilgore1313 (#25226),
I got a reply on this question from James Hamilton of Warfrog:

> Q3. Can you freeze the bid of a player who has yet to bid?
> A Absolutely, it can be a lot of fun and allows some interesting tactics.

So the answer is yes, you can.

-Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Lauritzen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pbrink (#25370),
This is what I thought. It would produce a huge motivation to buy treachery cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.