Subject: First game - solo questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YesMyNameIs Smith

Medina
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just broke this open after receiving it a few months ago, and I am so happy with my purchase! I can already tell I'm going to get a lot of playtime out of this... Maybe I can convince my kids to try it, too. I did run into a few situations I'd like to get some clarity on:

1) I explored an area at the bottom of the map, drew an atoll, and it got controlled by Samoa due to the die roll. I put one of his transport canoes on it. Later, I drew a solo chit giving him "transport canoe chain". You can see the atoll at the bottom in this picture taken post-game (and yes, I lost Tonga during the game.. /cry):

At the time, the hex to the atoll's Northeast was not occupied by me, but was explored by me. Several questions come to mind... First, as part of the "transport canoe chain" draw, would I attempt to connect Samoa to that atoll, putting transport canoes in 4 or more hexes, some distant? If the answer is "yes", then would the "opponent" have been able to put a transport canoe in the island group I explored, but hadn't yet occupied? While I get that the bot needs advantages, it would take a human many turns to make that link and that explored group might have been unknown, so I wasn't sure I understood it correctly. Luckily, my own transport chain made it a moot point, but it gnawed at me.

2) For purposes of Victory Points, if I have 5 non-home island groups under control, and in my transport chain connected to my home islands, do I get 5 VP or 6, with the extra one being the home islands?

3) Is it correct that I could bring along a spare colony (with transport of course) during an attack so that I forgoe "saving" a village after victory?

4) Am I playing it correctly that an unconnected island group with just one village is pretty useless without the advanced rule to save resources? Seems like you'd either have to connect it, or send more colonists. Am I correct?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later as I hit other situations, but my first play went fairly question-free for a game of this complexity. I do wish there were a few more examples in the rulebook, specically relating to transport chains, as well as solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
smittyohio wrote:
1) First, as part of the "transport canoe chain" draw, would I attempt to connect Samoa to that atoll, putting transport canoes in 4 or more hexes, some distant?

Yes. As is says in the Solitaire rules under Transport Canoe Chain, if it can be legally connected, then connect it.

smittyohio wrote:
1)If the answer is "yes", then would the "opponent" have been able to put a transport canoe in the island group I explored, but hadn't yet occupied?

Sure, why not? If it's the most direct path to connect two of his possessions.

smittyohio wrote:
While I get that the bot needs advantages, it would take a human many turns to make that link and that explored group might have been unknown, so I wasn't sure I understood it correctly.

Yes, it's a bit of a stretch. But it would only take two turns to get 4 hexes (assuming you don't have the Poi or Double Hulled Canoes cards): first move out 1 and 2 hexes, then next turn Transit to the second hex and move out 3 and 4 hexes.

smittyohio wrote:
Luckily, my own transport chain made it a moot point, but it gnawed at me.

It looks to me like your "opponent" could have connected down to Maria Theresa Reef through Tonga, then around to the west of Tahiti. But maybe Tonga hadn't been captured yet? Cutting off such a long enemy Transport Canoe Chain would become a high priority: he could use it to attack deep into your empire the next time an "Attack!" chit is drawn.

smittyohio wrote:
2) For purposes of Victory Points, if I have 5 non-home island groups under control, and in my transport chain connected to my home islands, do I get 5 VP or 6, with the extra one being the home islands?

Six. Just like at the start of the game, when you get 3 VPs: Two for two Villages, and one for your Home Island Group. It's in the rules somewhere (don't have the time to look it up right now...)

smittyohio wrote:
3) Is it correct that I could bring along a spare colony (with transport of course) during an attack so that I forgoe "saving" a village after victory?

Yes, you could if you have an extra Colony looking for something to do. But it's a rather inefficient way to populate a captured Island Group. For one thing, the Colony is not exchanged until the end of the following Build Step. Exchanging a victorious Warrior Band for a Village occurs right after Battle- so you have the extra Build Point to use in that following Build Step!

smittyohio wrote:
4) Am I playing it correctly that an unconnected island group with just one village is pretty useless without the advanced rule to save resources? Seems like you'd either have to connect it, or send more colonists. Am I correct?

Um, no; you're missing an important point. Villages that aren't connected together still get to build, they just can't combine their Build Points with unconnected Villages. So a single unconnected island group with just one Village gets 1 Build Point. And what can you build with 1 BP? A Transport Canoe- exactly what you need to get that Island Group connected to your empire! Sometimes the islanders know exactly what they need, and let you know what to build.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith

Medina
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smittyohio wrote:

Um, no; you're missing an important point. Villages that aren't connected together still get to build, they just can't combine their Build Points with unconnected Villages. So a single unconnected island group with just one Village gets 1 Build Point. And what can you build with 1 BP? A Transport Canoe- exactly what you need to get that Island Group connected to your empire! Sometimes the islanders know exactly what they need, and let you know what to build.

Kevin[/q]

Thanks for the replies! I did figure that last part out after I'd posted it, but it does reinforce the point that unconnected islands can't do a whole lot for your empire, which is cool. I'd pretty much kept my transport chain intact the whole game.

Also, yes, Tonga had *not* been captured yet when the bot got the "transport canoe chain" chit. He had no way to get through my chain, luckily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith

Medina
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
smittyohio wrote:

Kevin

Thanks for the replies! I did figure that last part out after I'd posted it, but it does reinforce the point that unconnected islands can't do a whole lot for your empire, which is cool. I'd pretty much kept my transport chain intact the whole game.

Also, yes, Tonga had *not* been captured yet when the bot got the "transport canoe chain" chit. He had no way to get through my chain, luckily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd pretty much kept my transport chain intact the whole game.

Don't stick rigidly to this maxim. Judiciously cutting off a small island group (typically, 1-Village places) is often a good idea, when you really need a Transport Canoe somewhere else. As I describe, the situation is usually self-correcting after the next Build Step. You need to build a lean and efficient economic motor, and having excess Transport Canoes floating around is not the way to do so. Better to be temporarily indisposed than to waste those precious Build Points.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.