5 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Earning Coins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stauch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Scythe and could use some clarification on earning coins.

Do you earn coins for each achievement? For example, the asymmetry tile for building structures near lakes. For each structure you build adjacent to a lake, you earn that respective amount of coins. It's an as you go type of things. Correct?

Also, the popularity track. You don't earn against that until the end of the game, correct?

To try to put a fine point to my confusion: I've played solo a few times and each game I seem to have such a small amount of money that I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I mean, why have a 50 coin if you're only ever going to hold it at the end of game for totaling?

I'm doing something wrong, need some help. Thanks in advance to those who help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Acheivements are only at the end of the game, just as Popularity.

Until the last 2 turns you will only have small numbers of coins, the $50 is pure chrome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cstauch wrote:

Do you earn coins for each achievement? For example, the asymmetry tile for building structures near lakes. For each structure you build adjacent to a lake, you earn that respective amount of coins. It's an as you go type of things. Correct?

No - Building bonuses, along with territory, resources, and stars are awarded at the end of the game. You get coins during the game for things like encounter options that give you coins, most bottom row actions, and recruit bonuses (both the immediate one and each time you or your neighbour does it) - Where it shows on a card or ability the coin symbol, you get the coin immediately. Where it shows it on one of the scoring factors, you get it at the end of the game, basically.

Quote:
Also, the popularity track. You don't earn against that until the end of the game, correct?

You gain (and lose) popularity throughout the game, but you don't get coins from the table until the end of the game, yes.

Quote:
To try to put a fine point to my confusion: I've played solo a few times and each game I seem to have such a small amount of money that I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I mean, why have a 50 coin if you're only ever going to hold it at the end of game for totaling?

The scores in the game can vary wildly, but most of the score comes from end game scoring. I think the $50 I think is added in the expansion (and as a promo for metal ones) in order to help out in 6 and 7 player games, to make sure there's enough money in the game for those (so to up from $500 in coins to $800); while $500 is seems to be plenty in a 5 player game, $100 can happen but doesn't usually happen in every game, and certainly not for every player, at 7 even everyone scoring $80 would need $580 - they're there to ensure that you never run out of coins (While the 2s, which I forget if they're in the expansion or just as a promo coin, help facilitate in game play).

Like how you never actually use the 10 VP chip in Race for the Galaxy in actual game play, only end game scoring, at least in two player games. Generally, I find, lower denominations are more useful in games for in play stuff and higher denominations are more useful in games for end game stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stauch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated

Gizensha wrote:
cstauch wrote:

No - Building bonuses, along with territory, resources, and stars are awarded at the end of the game. You get coins during the game for things like encounter options that give you coins, most bottom row actions, and recruit bonuses (both the immediate one and each time you or your neighbour does it) - Where it shows on a card or ability the coin symbol, you get the coin immediately. Where it shows it on one of the scoring factors, you get it at the end of the game, basically.

Quote:

You gain (and lose) popularity throughout the game, but you don't get coins from the table until the end of the game, yes.

Quote:

The scores in the game can vary wildly, but most of the score comes from end game scoring. I think the $50 I think is added in the expansion (and as a promo for metal ones) in order to help out in 6 and 7 player games, to make sure there's enough money in the game for those (so to up from $500 in coins to $800); while $500 is seems to be plenty in a 5 player game, $100 can happen but doesn't usually happen in every game, and certainly not for every player, at 7 even everyone scoring $80 would need $580 - they're there to ensure that you never run out of coins (While the 2s, which I forget if they're in the expansion or just as a promo coin, help facilitate in game play).

Like how you never actually use the 10 VP chip in Race for the Galaxy in actual game play, only end game scoring, at least in two player games. Generally, I find, lower denominations are more useful in games for in play stuff and higher denominations are more useful in games for end game stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narsir Veenaur
France
Draveil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cstauch wrote:
For example, the asymmetry tile for building structures near lakes. For each structure you build adjacent to a lake, you earn that respective amount of coins. It's an as you go type of things. Correct?

Just about it :
At the end of the game, you will earn coins for lakes adjacent to your building. Not for building adjacent to a lake.
If you have 2 buildings on 2 different territories, aside the same lake, the lake will count only once.
It is the same for equivalent achievement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.