Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure yet - don't know mutch about it. I only found out by chance when I was looking on Esdevium's web page for something else.

It appears to be mainly fantasy and CCGs - is that the case or have I got it wrong

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a nice mix, computer games, CCGs, board games, role-playing. Everythings covered. There are a couple of other threads by fellow geeks who are going.

See you there.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
thirts wrote:
It appears to be mainly fantasy and CCGs - is that the case or have I got it wrong

David, here's the link to the Expo: http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/ Click on "boardgames" to see the list of companies and designers who will be on hand. The site has separate lists for "cards" and "RPG."

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there and looking for gaming Saturday night at the Thistle Hotel if anyone interested.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can just turn up on early Sunday afternoon with a few £££ in my pocket then yeah, I'm there like a barrel of frogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dawson
United Kingdom
swindon
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i will be going on the saturday but not sunday- i need to preserve some spousal goodwill for the cast are dice devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there on Saturday morning.

See you down the front!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United Kingdom
Shropshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there this morning (Saturday). I thought it was very good, especially as it was the first time for the event. There was lots of variety, Boardgames, CCG's, wargaming, fantasy and even computer games.

Boardgame-wise I managed to pick up a couple of games that I have had my eye on. I didn't have time to play any games, but did get chance to talk to some of the demonstraters about their games.

I thought the venue was very good and was amused that the fantasy games were playing in the basement (dungeon).

There was only one slight problem which was the car parking, just need to have alternatives published on the site for next year, so that people know what to do if the venue carpark is already full which it was at 10.05 today.

All in all a brilliant show, well done to the organisers for getting it so well planned and so well attended. I am very much looking forward to next year when hopefully I will have time to play some games as well

CC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great day out for my wife, my 9 year old niece and myself. I picked up It's Alive!, Angola and the Canal Mania upgrade kit plus a handful of bargains from the bring and buy.

Congratulations to all involved, although I agree with the comment about the parking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went, it was rather fun. Got a free starter for Mechwarrior, played a game of Warmachine and Fondue, and basically wandered around. It was kinda cruddy in that, i saw lots of games i wanted to get, but because i wasn't near a computer... couldn't check the BGG site to see reviews, and how well they would play.

I did like the "Dicewords" game, although mostly for my friend rather than me, because i suck at word games, and i finally saw Hive in the 'flesh'. They are chunky bits of bakelite!

I also saw the 'Ranger', although i was more "poor lady getting sweated up by lots of geeks" than "wow i need my picture taken", but it was great to talk to the NC people, as well as see Talisman (although the people 'showing' it off didn't really seem too friendly? I tried to ask questions about it, but they just ignored me and spoke to someone else).

It was also excellent to speak to some of the online game stores. Spirit games in particular were very friendly indeed, and have secured my online purchases for the years to come.

Oh and Warcraft the boardgame came yesterday morning too, so all in all, a good week ;P

It was a shame, because i couldn't see anyone wearing a "i'm a BBGeek" or something, so i didn't know who was who. Maybe next year, if we have name badges or something, i'd have liked to have met up with some of the people from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United Kingdom
Shropshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be cool to have BGG badges and maybe with Avatar too :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Went & bought 3 games. It was ok the Starwars dudes where there for like 10 mins tho. I used to work with the warhammer guys, & half of em are unfriendly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HulaGaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went, found the gameworkshop guys (or more specificially the Black Industries people demoing Talisman) to be really friendly and nice (probably the nicest people I met at the show). I found the "star wars" people were there for ages, walking around for hours. WOuld have been nice if some of the RPG games started later and had turn up sign up sheets (ala Dragonmeet) as I didn't sign up to any via the web site and so didn't play any.

Anyway thanks to the organizers!. I also got £250 worth of AT-43 stuff for £125...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went yesterday morning with a couple of friends (we arrived at 9.30 & the car park was already pretty full) and we had a great time. It was good to see the event attract such a crowd.

I came away with Notre Dame and Hey, that's my Fish! but I could have come away with so much more! I wanted the second hand version of Bootleggers in the bring & buy and fancied It's Alive (but couldn't get a space at the demo table ) but my salary will only stretch so far!

Hats off to everyone involved. Looking forward to Games Expo '08 already!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge
The Wanderer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzzaro wrote:
I also saw the 'Ranger', although i was more "poor lady getting sweated up by lots of geeks" than "wow i need my picture taken", but it was great to talk to the NC people, as well as see Talisman (although the people 'showing' it off didn't really seem too friendly? I tried to ask questions about it, but they just ignored me and spoke to someone else).

Sorry if you thought that we didn't seem too friendly! It was certainly not our intention and if we missed your questions I can only assume we were distracted by one thing or another (more than likely the Ranger!), but to be honest in the first hour or so it was a bit fraught as we were still finding our feet.

Mat and I had offered to demo the game for BI (though we are merely fans and not employees), rather than it just be a "display" and we managed to get through a good few games over the two days including a couple in the Thistle on the Saturday night.

In our "debrief" amongst ourselves on the Saturday night it was remarked upon that we seemed to be answering a large number of queries about the game, so if we missed you or seemed to be ignoring you, it certainly was not intentional!! Perhaps we should have worn "I'm a BBGeek" badges too

For what it's worth I think the Expo (what I saw of it) went okay as a first time event. There were a few things that need addressing, but then again the venue was possibly not ideal and the light/heat/noise in the hall we were in on the Saturday got a bit much by just after lunch. The heat issue was sorted today by putting the fans on full blast and opening all of the doors so it was much better I think.

The food I cannot really comment on, as we didn't get time to eat lunch on the Saturday and only managed a sausage roll today, but for evening meals etc there were plenty of establishments within a short walking distance.

I've seen someone else in another thread complaining about the venue in general (and not being able to play Talisman), but people have to accept that sometimes things just don't go 100% to plan. As to not being able to get a game, with a reported 1200 people through the doors on the first day, there were always going to be disappointed people.

Anyway I digress....

Apologies again if we seemed unfriendly, it certainly wasn't my (our) intention.

As an aside I'd like to thank everyone that DID manage to get a game, namely -

Paul H, Ian, Fil, Paul G, Will, Gordon, Matt, Big Bad John, Fiona, Richard & Daniel, Mark, Kelvin, Paul C, Ellen, Keary, Paul F & Edgar, Emma, Jerry, Ben the Plucky, Joel, Ben the Other Ben, Mica, David, Joey, Joe, Dave D and Ben P!

Cheers for now

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.