Subject: Mi-go mini cut & pin - Better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maerius Ebonmere
United States
Norwich
New York
flag msg tools
I never liked the way the mi-go is posed, so I separated the front arms and wings from the model, cut the wings and drilled and pinned it all back together. I think it looks much better with the wings not wrapping around the head and the wings now look like they might actually be used to get airborne, IMO.

(Original is on the right.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quazi Kenshin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OPACY
badge
{^,^} meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your hard work definitely improves the silhouette... more menacing.

However, we affectionately refer to our shuffling fungal terrors as "Zoidbergs"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maerius3 wrote:
I never liked the way the mi-go is posed, so I separated the front arms and wings from the model, cut the wings and drilled and pinned it all back together. I think it looks much better with the wings not wrapping around the head and the wings now look like they might actually be used to get airborne, IMO.

(Original is on the right.)

Wow, it looks amazing!!! May we have more photos from different angles?

Nice work, I am not so crafted, I would never attempt something like that in fear it brakes in an irreparable way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love them ! But I can nickname them Pringles anymore with that pose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Any chance you might record doing it if you do another?

That looks really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Merlo
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I must defend PG on their original design here. As I recall, the mythos specify that MiGO wings are not meant to fly within the planet's atmosphere. Instead, they are meant to travel through the aether in deep space. I think there were relatively few fungi samples that could actually fly within the planet, and that was thanks to surgical modifications and mechanical implements (like the ones you just made ).
In any case, kudos for the rework! Just wanted to explain the wretched look of the original wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your redone ones are definitely more menacing. Although I'm not sure how menacing the original Migo models were meant to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maerius Ebonmere
United States
Norwich
New York
flag msg tools
diversionArchitect wrote:
Any chance you might record doing it if you do another?

That looks really good.

I probably can - it's not very difficult though, honestly.

1. Toss Mi-go in boiling water for a few minutes
2. Pull, bend and twist Mi-go parts to get to his chest
3. I used an eyeglass screwdriver to help loosen up the areas where the glue was stubborn.
4. Remove wings from chest. Don't be afraid to pull a little
5. Repeat to remove front arms (that hold the brain) from the wing section
6. I used a jeweler's saw to cut the wing section down the middle, but could (probably more) easily have done it with wire cutters.
7. Trim extra plastic with wire cutters to give a smaller connection point for the wings to his back
8. Drill & pin on his back to attach wings and the sides of his chest to attach the arms.

This leaves a hole right in the center of his chest as well as 2 small holes at the base of the wings where they attach to the body - easily filled with green stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really cool! I have done similar things with Shub Niggurath and most recently Mother Hydra. I was not a fan of Hydra's pose at all. It looks much better now IMO. I am excited to get around to painting her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.