jason
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Just noticed the fish that's associated with fundamental Christianity and creationism at the bottom right corner of the Time Well Spent banner at the top of BGG's front page, and thought it was a little odd for an online board game retailers advertisement. If everyone else is cool with it, then it's fine with me, but I'm surprised it hasn't gotten under anyone's skin considering the upcoming primaries and various controversies around candidates, not to mention peoples sensitivities about religion. I guess I just think that religion and politics aren't relevant to, and should be kept away from the content of this site. But I guess they're paying for ad space. Who knows? I guess as long as we don't see a post for salvation in the hot deals forum it'll be all right. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't bother me if The Church of Christ bought an ad that said "YOU'RE GOIN' STRAIGHT TO HELL" and put it up there. Also wouldn't bother me if there was a Playboy ad featuring a giant pair of boobs up there. They're paying sponsors, it ain't my business. And I don't really look at any of 'em anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Weitner
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's part of the ad in that they are marketing themselves as a company run by Christians -- that such a message might cause different reactions in people is, I'm sure, fully thought out. I couldn't guess whether it results in a net increase or decrease of patronage, but if that's the face that the company wants to present in its ads, I don't know who could object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it already paid for itself in the fact that you went out of the way to make a forum post about it and you are now generating more brand awareness for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Well, it already paid for itself in the fact that you went out of the way to make a forum post about it and you are now generating more brand awareness for them.

And this makes Paul angry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Christian symbol doesn't make them fundamentalists. You, like Sam Harris, might not think that makes a real difference, but it's still good to get your classifications right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's no more or less relevant than the religion microbadges here, many of which are displayed by patrons.

More germane questions: Does Time Well Spent offer good prices? Yes. Do they have what they say they have? Yes. Do they deliver rapidly? Yes, especially where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
So long as they're not kiddie touchers, I could care less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Meridian
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
It's no more or less relevant than the religion microbadges here, many of which are displayed by patrons.

More germane questions: Does Time Well Spent offer good prices? Yes. Do they have what they say they have? Yes. Do they deliver rapidly? Yes, especially where I live.

^ What Jim said. And add a big dose of "good grief."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
Well, I think it would have paid for itself had I bought some games from them, which I haven't yet done. As far as brand awareness goes, I'm already familiar with boardgames and their retailers as I'm sure are most patrons of this site.
Quote:
A Christian symbol doesn't make them fundamentalists. You, like Sam Harris, might not think that makes a real difference, but it's still good to get your classifications right.
Fair enough. I had always associated this symbol as such, but if I've been doing so incorrectly then I now stand correctly. Maybe should have googled this before shooting my mouth off... still think it's kind of strang for an ad though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:

A microbadge is hardly displayed prominently at the top of my computer screen. Furthermore, I never questioned their business ethics, whether or not they have what they say they have or anything else. It had just seemed to me that this was more or less a non-denominational site, and I was surprised to see this type of symbolism in an ad. Looking back on this I should have not only googled, but titled the post "fundamentalists sponsoring BGG" and dropped the word religion. No need for my hindsight to get contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I won't buy from them because of it, but I certainly have no problem with them having an ad. Go look through your yellow pages - you'll see tons of ads just like this. It's a marketing technique, not a call for fundamentalism.

I feel like if they are going to publicly advertise their store as Christian, then let Christians support them if they wish. I'll support the shop of indeterminate faith. It also strikes me that there is something odd about using the message of Jesus for the purpose of selling things for a profit, but I'm no theologian, so I'll leave it at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I buy from them because of what jpat stated: great selection, lowest prices, and quick shipping. The fact that they are also Christian is icing on the cake for me. If they didn't provide the first things, I probably wouldn't support them financially. If the difference is just a dollar or two between them and someone else, I am going to support TWS - mostly because of the committment to service but because I can help a brother out.

The placement of the fish is not a means to increase sales or make a profit off religion. For those of us who know what it means, it is a refreshing sight: it shows someone is making a public confession of where they stand.

And I assume they took the fish symbol (actually called an Ichthys) since it is a little less "in your face" than a cross would be. And given the hostility some have against Christians on this site and one legend behind the symbol, it all seems appropriate to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If everyone else is cool with it, then it's fine with me,

WTF?!?

I'm firmly amidst the crowd, so I'll go where they're going.

Huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:

I'm an Atheist and a TWS customer. In fact, my wife just noticed the frig magnet (with thier fish symbol) up there yesterday. "When did you get that?" "Oh it's been around, there are two more somewhere."

Of course, I buy from others (it's not my primary). But, they have good prices and good service. It's just a bonus that they know who they are and want to express themselves. Good for them.

We shouldn't judge based on icons, but on actions. They have been nothing but good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and become a supporter so you can turn off the adds. Then you don't have to see it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are showing admirable character by displaying the symbol.

I mean, it isn't an evangelistic effort. No one will be "saved" by seeing the fish. In fact, more people will be intrigued by faith according to how believers respond to this sort of forum...

Anyway, let me explain why it shows character that all people, regardless of religious inclinations, or lack thereof, ought to admire.

It takes a huge risk to display any sort of values, especially a religious affiliation in our society.

Sure, the small minority who it would appeal to would be pleased. But, the intolerant nature of our "tolerant" society is such that, any religious expression is supposed to be squelched.

Seriously, it is easier to espouse a ridiculous political ideology, support an indefensible interest group, rally the cause around a useless endeavor, or make a slur UPON a religious group than it is to actually display affiliation.

Bravo to them. And to anyone else who shows as much courage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jason718 wrote:
I'm surprised it hasn't gotten under anyone's skin considering the upcoming primaries and various controversies around candidates, not to mention peoples sensitivities about religion.

So since it has not gotten under anyone's skin, you will bring it up?

Are you suggesting that the mere association of a religion with a person, company, or organization could be construed as offensive?

It is my hope that most people on these boards are mature enough to handle the fact that a broad cross section of religions are represented here without resorting to the very weak fallback of avoiding acknowledging any religious affiliation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Emile wrote:
I won't buy from them because of it, but I certainly have no problem with them having an ad. Go look through your yellow pages - you'll see tons of ads just like this. It's a marketing technique, not a call for fundamentalism.

I feel like if they are going to publicly advertise their store as Christian, then let Christians support them if they wish. I'll support the shop of indeterminate faith. It also strikes me that there is something odd about using the message of Jesus for the purpose of selling things for a profit, but I'm no theologian, so I'll leave it at that.

^-- What he said cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:
Emile wrote:

^-- What he said cool

I do wholly agree with the statement about linking Jesus to commercial endeavors, though, just not your premise for concern otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jason718 wrote:
A microbadge is hardly displayed prominently at the top of my computer screen. Furthermore, I never questioned their business ethics, whether or not they have what they say they have or anything else. It had just seemed to me that this was more or less a non-denominational site, and I was surprised to see this type of symbolism in an ad. Looking back on this I should have not only googled, but titled the post "fundamentalists sponsoring BGG" and dropped the word religion. No need for my hindsight to get contacts.

Just to be clear, my point about bringing up their business practices wasn't really directly in response to what you'd said but to suggest the irrelevance of the logo to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:

Indeed. Thanks for that clarification. Take it from a person who once used that term to describe himself... "fundamentalist" is overused. Very few Christians actually exist that would fit that term.

The majority of people who place the icthus (fish) on their car and/or ads would neither describe themselves as such, nor fit the definition.

Christianity is a vast faith, with diversity within its' bounds. One ought not foist a term with negative implications (societal) upon an entire group without careful consideration of the implications.

That is a display of intolerance--akin to mild hate-speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
They are showing admirable character by displaying the symbol.

It takes a huge risk to display any sort of values, especially a religious affiliation in our society.

Bravo to them. And to anyone else who shows as much courage...

Not sure where the "courage" is here. The U.S. is predominantly Christian. This myth that you seem to support that Christians in this country are a minority under attack by a secularism is mind-boggling to me.

They're welcome to display their religion however they want. It attracts those who are like-minded, and repels those who disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. This is not a predominantly Christian nation.

That is the myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
No. This is not a predominantly Christian nation.

That is the myth.

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#religions

You're right. 75% is not predominantly Christian. It's overwhelmingly Christian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.