Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Snyder
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a long time miniature painter, but up until now I've only painted miniatures with plastic bases (Gamea Workshop games). To hold the miniature in place while I paint it, I stick it to a wad of silly putty that's then stuck to a paint jar.

But now I'm venturing into painting Man O War ships, but I'm not sure how to hold them while I paint them. I can't just stick in on the silly putty because the putty will ooze around the ship rather than hold it secure like with the plastic bases. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nicholson
United Kingdom
Newcastle
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ive allways used double sided tape onto a length of scrap wood, myself. I've also known people to drill a small (0.3mm diameter and about 3mm deep) and pin with a long piece of wire to a bottle cork or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
snyderman wrote:
I'm a long time miniature painter, but up until now I've only painted miniatures with plastic bases (Gamea Workshop games). To hold the miniature in place while I paint it, I stick it to a wad of silly putty that's then stuck to a paint jar.

But now I'm venturing into painting Man O War ships, but I'm not sure how to hold them while I paint them. I can't just stick in on the silly putty because the putty will ooze around the ship rather than hold it secure like with the plastic bases. Any ideas?

If by silly putty you mean the stuff we call blu tack here, then yes, you can do that, and it works perfectly. Why do you think it will ooze around rather than holding securely?

Failing that, just paint them in halves, holding one end at a time and in stages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I literally use silly putty, the flesh colored stuff. And it doesn't keep a rigid shape for very long after it's handled, hence the oozing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
snyderman wrote:
Actually, I literally use silly putty, the flesh colored stuff. And it doesn't keep a rigid shape for very long after it's handled, hence the oozing.

Well that makes sense

Blu Tack is a removable adhesive that doesn't leave a residue. Used for putting up posters and the like. Reasonably firm, and just what you want - I've used it like this for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reuhl
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a bunch of long push pins. Then drilled holes in a small block of wood. Then drilled into the miniature. You can put a bit of glue on the end of the pin when you push it into the miniature if you dont have the whole perfect size, then just twist it off when you are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blu Tack is your friend, or UHU tac / UHU patafix which reacts very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Superglue. I'm using white glue for some mini's myself, although these mini's are soft plastic boardgame with a dime-sized base. I'm also fiddling with painting some small pieces on the sprue, up to the first layer of basecoat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could base up Man O War ships on to MDF/Plastic card bases. I know some do, because you then could stick magnetic tape to them to store the ships. This is what I am planning to do one day. You can get a special type of paint for the sea to apply to the base.

Example;

It always worth thinking about miniatures storage before you start panting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.