Hide
13 Posts

Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: The Cardmogrifier rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brandes
msg tools

The Cardmogrifier is a neat little device that lets you make professional-looking custom cards for all of your favorite games.

Check out our Kickstarter and get in on the early bird specials. The Kickstarter will run from December 8th, 2016 to January 7th, 2017.
Happy Gaming!

http://kck.st/2ghOlh0
[imageid=3295150
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna say I thought this seemed ridiculous and dumb until I checkout the kickstarter page... This actually looks really intriguing.

So basically the idea is you take an actual card (which already has the correct size and back), and you stick it in a shim that up-sizes it to fit in a printer? That's really clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No blank cards offered?

Unfortunate the product can only do 1 card per sheet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
No blank cards offered?

Unfortunate the product can only do 1 card per sheet...

On the KS page it says "Stay Tuned" for info on "How you can remove the printing from a card to make your own blank".

As for one per sheet, since there is no wasted ink or paper as you're only printing in the open space there's no real loss there. Though I suppose they could make at least 2 spaces without having the bpa frame lose its integrity? (maybe even 3 or 4?)

Says they're looking for suggestions for stretch goals. Perhaps put the idea to them directly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While yeah, it prints one card at a time, this seems like a really niche thing. It's cheap so maybe that's ok.

One card at a time in any kind of volume is going to be sloooow. So this isn't really for prototyping.

Taping the card and having an edge makes me wonder about the gap that isn't taped when printing. Ink or toner is going to shoot through the gap. Unless your card is very specific - no bleed, no art, just text or an image in the middle of the card.

I find the demoer printing a CAH card is very fitting: my guess is that's going to be the primary market.

For me, buying some heavy duty gloss card, a paper cutter, and a heavy duty corner punch pretty much lets me make near-perfect cards (depending on how well I cut) in bulk without worrying about time or gap overspray. Yeah there's an investment up front, but I'm a designer, so it makes sense. Maybe someone looking to make their own CAH card might be interested in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not intended for prototyping or doing anything in bulk. The intention is to make custom cards that can blend perfectly into an existing deck of cards.

I don't care how good you are*, it's literally impossible to make a card that is indistinguishable from a Magic card. You don't have the same kind of paper, you can't get the exact dimensions and corner radius, etc. The only way. Not to mention colors of the backs being off (front colors being off wouldn't matter). This goes for every other game out there, too.

Hell, many professionally-produced games fail at matching their own card sizes and colors in expansions or reprints.

*worth noting that there's a major problem now in the Magic community of Chinese counterfeits, but it's taken years for the counterfeiters to reach a level of quality where it's actually difficult to tell the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brandes
msg tools
Exactly right were reinventing the card you already have. No more crayon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brandes
msg tools
The Cards you print on depend on the game you are trying to make cards for. One card per Cardmogrifier seems like a reasonable place to start and the least possibility of multiplying risk inside the printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
It's not intended for prototyping or doing anything in bulk. The intention is to make custom cards that can blend perfectly into an existing deck of cards.

I don't care how good you are*, it's literally impossible to make a card that is indistinguishable from a Magic card. You don't have the same kind of paper, you can't get the exact dimensions and corner radius, etc. The only way. Not to mention colors of the backs being off (front colors being off wouldn't matter). This goes for every other game out there, too.

But surely scraping the ink off the front of a real card (or using a chemical process or whatever) and then feeding it through the bend of a printer would result in a card that's fairly distinguishable as well?

Whereas if you wanted to mix your own cards into a deck on a regular basis, you'd just sleeve the whole deck, right?

"Cards Against Humanity" was a bad choice for the example video, in that CAH cards are really easy to custom-print already (e.g. https://github.com/gregmarra/cards-against-generator — I mean they're literally just Arial text in black and white). I'd be interested in seeing the Cardmogrifier produce good-looking Bang! cards, though, or Magic cards; that would show that the Cardmogrifier can do something that can't easily be done already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quuxplusone wrote:
But surely scraping the ink off the front of a real card (or using a chemical process or whatever) and then feeding it through the bend of a printer would result in a card that's fairly distinguishable as well?

Removing the ink from Magic cards is quite common, actually. Even foil ones.

Feeding it through the bend in a printer is a little worrisome to me, but I could see it being ok. Magic cards are designed to be able to be bent from edge to edge on the long side without permanent damage, and that even used to be one of the recommended ways to check valuable cards you suspected might have been counterfeit (I think modern counterfeits probably pass the bend test, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea - I have a bunch of games that always come with blank cards to "create your own", and I never do anything with them because I would have to hand draw them.

A way to align them in my printer using this template is the perfect idea and exactly what I need to get the ball rolling on using some of those blank cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pseudacris wrote:
I think this is a great idea - I have a bunch of games that always come with blank cards to "create your own", and I never do anything with them because I would have to hand draw them.

A way to align them in my printer using this template is the perfect idea and exactly what I need to get the ball rolling on using some of those blank cards!

Exactly! Unfortunately at this point it doesn't look like it will fund.

Even if I only use it a few times I figure for less than $10 I'll get my money's worth just from those games in my collection that come with their own official blanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any of my games that have blank cards, but using the method they posted for removing the print on existing cards, this has become a lot more interesting to me.

Worth checking out:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/109831711/the-cardmogri...

I never realised it was that easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.