Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

As I'm prepping Volume 2 I thought I'd give some information on some of the new things coming, new rules, terrain and so on.

One new terrain feature coming is block houses. Structures with sturdy wall separating each hex in a multi-hex building.
With normal multi-hex structures, a unit has LOS into adjacent hexes in the building. But if there is a white line along the hexline in the structure, it denotes a block house and there is no LOS into that hex.

In this example, the squads have no LOS to each other and cannot attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a HUGE change from ASL, which uses a black line.whistle

Looking forward to the new rules and game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Positively YUGE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's ASL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Pacitto
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
What's ASL?

ASL = "Ain't Squad Leader"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamm22 wrote:
Hey Guys,

As I'm prepping Volume 2 I thought I'd give some information on some of the new things coming, new rules, terrain and so on.

One new terrain feature coming is block houses. Structures with sturdy wall separating each hex in a multi-hex building.
With normal multi-hex structures, a unit has LOS into adjacent hexes in the building. But if there is a white line along the hexline in the structure, it denotes a block house and there is no LOS into that hex.

Now that the game is in hand and on the table, 4-21 states when using a satchel charge check for structure collapse. Would it make any sense to be able to use a satchel or something else e.g. engineer to blow a hole in the wall of the Row House (9-51) so that a unit could move and attack thru that white line hexside?
(Sorry if it's a dumb question.)
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good addition. I have a friend whose father was in the 79th Division involved in late-war urban combat. Although he said his father spoke very little of those experiences, he did say that the fighting was not block-to-block or even house-to-house, but room-to-room within blocks of houses.

His squad was assigned to one house in a block and was there for three or four days. The first day, the single young replacement posted at the kitchen door shot a German who was approaching the house up the garden walk with an explosive charge large enough to bring the house down.

for the next three days, this same soldier watched the young German, who didn't look more than fifteen years old, freeze solid while fighting took place elsewhere in the house against Germans on the other side of the wall and across the street in front.

Eventually the remnant of his squad was able to leave the house and move on. Horrific, but I'm glad to read that this sort of tactical situation is represented in OST WF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
Jamm22 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Now that the game is in hand and on the table, 4-21 states when using a satchel charge check for structure collapse. Would it make any sense to be able to use a satchel or something else e.g. engineer to blow a hole in the wall of the Row House (9-51) so that a unit could move and attack thru that white line hexside?
Thanks.

Not a dumb question at all Chris.
Right now there is no mechanic in game for breaching and you can't set them off in your own hex.
So you would have to be adjacent to, without the wall to toss in a satchel.

May have to look at something in the future.
Canadian troops did this a lot in Italy, they called it 'mouseholing'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamm22 wrote:
friendc wrote:
Jamm22 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

Not a dumb question at all Chris.
Right now there is no mechanic in game for breaching and you can't set them off in your own hex.
So you would have to be adjacent to, without the wall to toss in a satchel.

May have to look at something in the future.
Canadian troops did this a lot in Italy, they called it 'mouseholing'.

We blew holes in walls all the time in Somalia. I would just house rule to make a gut check, think of it like a skill check for infantry or engineers. Just about anyone can. If you pass the check, boom, hole in wall that you can pass through or see through and treat as light cover. If you fail the gut check, no usable hole made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.