11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: New user confused with site rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M C
msg tools
Hello

Can anyone tell me if a new website is being worked on? It is extremely difficult for me to navigate this website. I took me 10 mins just to figure out how to make a post lol.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not. Still getting over the row of the last time...it seems to me making the sight more accessible goes hand in hand with making it less usable by those who use it the most. At least that seems to be what has occurred with the recent "improvements".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
They have done some work on it.

Unfortunately, for many the changes have slowed down the sections they have worked on and provided less info on the main page causing more clicking. So there is resistance

A few years ago, my the 15 year daughter heard me talking about a pic I have posted on BGG of her. She found it within five minutes. So, what may be hard for one person is easy for another. There really isn't one way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick around, you'll get the hang of it after a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I know everyone's homepage is customizable, but isn't the Forums box one of the first things on the default?

It simply has a POST link right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool tip, had never noticed it before, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
... Don't fall for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This site is already too easy to use, this has caused enormous problems with my allowed mobile bandwidth as too much information is so accessible.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This site is like a good meaty boardgame - you can't get it and expect to know all the rules after 5 minutes of effort, you're going to need a few hours learning the basics of how to play and many plays to master the strategy of "boardgamegeek.com".

I'm sorry the site is so confusing and daunting at the start. I can tell you that the new game pages have a lot of wasted space and a lot less information presented on them then the old design (which was more like the front page) had. I am one of those disappointed with the "redesign", and with YouTube's constantly changing algorithms it is a shame that BGG chose to promote videos in a way that favors the already popular and bury the new guys behind a wall of clicks.

About the only think I do like in the new layout is the way you enter games... and the fact that the BGG app now lets you add games to your collection.

So think of BGG's front page as "Through the Ages" and the game page redesigns as "Splendor" - take the time to learn how to use the power tools and yo will be rewarded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skuzzy3 wrote:
Hello

Can anyone tell me if a new website is being worked on? It is extremely difficult for me to navigate this website. I took me 10 mins just to figure out how to make a post lol.

Thanks

Yes a redesign has been in the works for years. The fundamental problems are:
* BGG has too few programmers for the job (and not enough money to hire more...)
* The programming tools being used are out of date.
* The current design is not smart phone friendly.
* BGG has to figure out how to really rewrite the front end while keeping users with very diverse interests happy

All in all the size of the database is now a impediment too. Say you want to add a new game mechanism. Now you have to determine if 90,000 games have that mechanism or not. For many games there would be insufficient information to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Verbosity wrote:
About the only think I do like in the new layout is the way you enter games... and the fact that the BGG app now lets you add games to your collection.

Don't thank BGG for that. The app is nothing to do with BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.