32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Why hand out experience at the end of the campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Stiles
msg tools
So after failing the 3rd scenario a 2nd time, I read another resolution to pretend I had actually won it for once. Among other things, it said to give each investigator 10 experience points. What? The campaign is over, what are you gonna do with 10 experience points???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Newman
United States
Wantagh
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pizzagoat wrote:
So after failing the 3rd scenario a 2nd time, I read another resolution to pretend I had actually won it for once. Among other things, it said to give each investigator 10 experience points. What? The campaign is over, what are you gonna do with 10 experience points???

Pretty sure you'll be able to put the EXP to use later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is for expansion campaigns. which allows you to jump from another campaign to another. keeping all the Exps and trauma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
And Print On Demand Scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stiles
msg tools
I remember them saying there wouldn't be cross-campaign progression, but I guess that's the only explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pizzagoat wrote:
I remember them saying there wouldn't be cross-campaign progression, but I guess that's the only explanation.

That and PoD scenarios, which could be played after all the official scenarios (like Vlad said).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pizzagoat wrote:

As per the rules, officially they don't recommend it, mainly because at the end of any campaign your characters will probably be stacked full of Trauma and perhaps additional Weaknesses.

But if you want to take a character from one campaign to another, you certainly can (again, as per the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also functions as a reward for winning. Yay, good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaan Qualrus
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At the end of the Night Of The Zealot Campaign Guide :
Quote:
The standard rules dictate that players start each campaign with new decks and 0 experience. However, intrepid players who wish to embrace the chaos may transfer investigators who have completed one campaign into a different campaign by carrying over each investigator's deck, trauma, and experience.

Right, you get 10 XP points but you get also 2 physical trauma and 2 mental trauma. If you played Roland and already got 1 mental trauma after first scenario, that means 3 mental trauma : you can only endure 2 horrors before being defeated ...

One question :
Spoiler (click to reveal)

In the third scenario, resolution of the act 2 of the Agenda (The Ritual Begins) says that you must search the collection for a madness and add it to your hand.
Does that mean that this madness is now part of the investigator's deck and should be included if I decide to transfer my investigator to a new campaign ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akaan Qualrus wrote:
Quote:
The standard rules dictate that players start each campaign with new decks and 0 experience. However, intrepid players who wish to embrace the chaos may transfer investigators who have completed one campaign into a different campaign by carrying over each investigator's deck, trauma, and experience.

Right, you get 10 XP points but you get also 2 physical trauma and 2 mental trauma. If you played Roland and already got 1 mental trauma after first scenario, that means 3 mental trauma : you can only endure 2 horrors before being defeated ...

One question :

In the third scenario, resolution of the act 2 of the Agenda (The Ritual Begins) says that you must search the collection for a madness and add it to your hand.
Does that mean that this madness is now part of the investigator's deck and should be included if I decide to transfer my investigator to a new campaign ?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
mbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Akaan Qualrus wrote:
Quote:

One question :

Yes.

You sure about that one? Added to your hand isn't added to your deck.

Edit: I stand corrected. Added to your hand means added to your deck for the rest of the campaign (though not after, should you choose to use the Investigator in future campaigns).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if they didn't give you any xp then people would complain about that too. "What? I beat the big monster and I didn't even get any experience!?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's giving you the option to do stuff with those characters after the campaign. I don't see any reason to complain about having the freedom to take those post campaign characters and use them for standalone scenarios or dare to try and take them into a new scenario. It is possible to beat the core expansion and take a reasonably low amount of negative adjustments. If that is the case you and you want to take them into a new campaign you also have the option to up the difficulty level to make the campaign challenging again. It's really a nice flexible system in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Telling
msg tools
You can also think of it as keeping score, try to beat a campaign earning the most possible xp. Could be interesting to track a sort of score - tallying points for earned xp (and adding additional points for unspent xp).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also true and I think this is much more interesting than the old system they had for scoring in the LOTR LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished completing the core box scenario and moving on to the Curse of the Rougarou. We had to build our decks with all the exp we earned to mitigate about 3 health and 2 sanity trauma. This meant loading up on bullet proof vests and elder sign amulets with some medical texts for healing. But with all that experience, we could do some incredible things that better synergized with our characters. I'd almost be afraid to have gone into that Curse of the Rougarou without some of my cards :O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The print on demand, side scenarios are only meant to be played between two scenarios in a full campaign by my reading, so you can't use that 10 xp for Curse of The Rougarou?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:
The print on demand, side scenarios are only meant to be played between two scenarios in a full campaign by my reading, so you can't use that 10 xp for Curse of The Rougarou?

Rougarou specifically has rules for either spending experience after a scenario to initiate it in campaign mode and also rules for playing it standalone. In the rules you can play any scenario standalone and use the standalone rules to create a leveled up deck to take it on if you wish.

It does say between two scenarios in the side story rules for setup but I see no reason why doing it after the last scenario of the core campaign would be broken.

Add: I mean it is just as valid as starting the next campaign with the same investigators. If you wanna do it go ahead. If it's too easy just adjust the difficulty. I think If I were to do it that way I'd use the standalone chaos bag setup, and return any core set campaign specific assets therefore making it more like a standalone game. The standalone chaos bag setup is quite harsh even on normal difficulty in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Paul Pizzica
United States
Hoffman Estates
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The power of W.A.M. compels you!
mb
I hate to be that guy, but I wish that both the heading of this post (as well as some people's responses) had the "spoiler" tag

Some of us still haven't managed to see any of the "good" resolutions to the final base game scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

Per the designers this isn't correct. They can be played during a campaign (between scenarios by spending XP) OR by just treating it as a "one shot" outside of campaign play using any deck you want.

If you use a campaign deck, you get to use your xp to level up the deck, but you are stuck with the "baggage" your deck brings with it. You can always play it fresh with a new deck though (which is what I like to do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

Per the designers this isn't correct. They can be played during a campaign (between scenarios by spending XP) OR by just treating it as a "one shot" outside of campaign play using any deck you want.

If you use a campaign deck, you get to use your xp to level up the deck, but you are stuck with the "baggage" your deck brings with it. You can always play it fresh with a new deck though (which is what I like to do).

Yes, so you can play a POD using standalone rules or between two campaign scenarios using side quest rules, but if you wanted to play the POD after the campaign, using the campaign deck, then it would be as a standalone and not a side story. You can take the 10 xp from the campaign and build your deck up, but you'd have to take extra weaknesses as per stand alone.

Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
mbmb
By a very strict reading, you can say that you're only allowed to play a side-story in campaign-mode between two scenarios of a campaign (so not at the end).

Personally, I hope they clarify that this isn't the case though, because thematically it usually fits better after a campaign. It would also allow people to use the XP given at the end of a campaign (if they're not willing to carry their investigators over to the next one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, some clarification would be nice. If you can only play a POD after the final campaign scenario as standalone, then, like this thread's originator, I don't really see the point of the XP - other than a measure of how well you did or for multi-campaigning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, not got the game to hand to check - what qualifies as a campaign? Is the base box a whole campaign, then the Dunwich deluxe box, followed on by the smallbox packs will be a separate one, where we start from scratch again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you got it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.