AT-43 Initiation Set: Operation Damocles» Forums » Reviews

Subject: U.N.A. Unit Box Reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heng Wang
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having recently picked up some unit boxes to expand my UNA force (the humans), here's a review of the quality of the models:
(Note, this is not a complete list of the UNA models out currently, this is simply what my FLGS has in stock- there is also attachment boxes for infantry units)

UNA Steel Trooper Unit Box:
6 Infantry Figures With Alternate Heads + Steel Trooper and Steel Trooper Sgt. Cards

The first I noticed about these is that the painting is LIGHT YEARS beyond that of the Steel Troopers included in the Operation Damocles starter set- the figures actually have highlights and texturing; still not as good as what you see from a hobbyist miniature painter, but VERY impressive for a prepainted game. The alternate heads are a real tight squeeze on some of the models- I really had to jam them on. The sculpts are the same as the Operation Damocles Steel Troopers. The only thing I really wish was that Rackham included the cards for the other ranks of commander (Lt, Capt, Col) instead of just the seargeant.

UNA Star Trooper Unit Box:
8 Infantry Figures With Alternate Heads + Star Trooper and Star Trooper Sgt. Cards

The painting on these models was still better than the ones from the Operation Damocles sets, but were not quite as good as the Steel Troopers boxes. In contrast to the Steel Troopers, three of the models had EXTREMELY loose alternate heads- just picking the figure up to move it would sometimes make the head fall out (I plan on gluing in the alternate heads as they look more futuristic anyway). This box cost $5 more than the UNA Steel Trooper box, but contains 2 more models- which is sort of worth it if you are doing an army list with Star Troopers- otherwise, Steel Troopers fill up more points and have better stats.

UNA Steel TacArms Unit Box:
3 Battle-suit Figures With Alternate Torso for Commander + Steel TacArm and Steel TacArm Sgt. Cards

Amazing sculpt, first off, these things just look freakin' cool as hell. The painting on these is the best of the bunch with some cool weathering effects on the torso and shoulder armor. Speaking of Torsos- the alternate Torso for the Commander is VERY HARD to switch on unless you dip the figure in hot (almost boiling) water and pull the original torso off (otherwise, you risk breaking the post that holds the torso on the waist). Other than this somewhat minor issue, this unit box has a great money to point cost ratio, and is in my opinion, essential for a UNA army.

UNA Fire Toad Mk.02 / Mk.03 Unit Box
1 AFV Figure With Container and Two Random Alternate Weapons + 4 Cards

I'm reviewing the Mk.02 and Mk.03 together as they are identical stat-wise and gamewise, just different unit insignias. The figures are nice and solid for vehicles, although a bit squat looking (certainly not the most elegant combat robots!). The container is the exact same as the one in the Operation Damocles set; the painting on these Fire Toads is about the same quality as the Operation Damocles one, but I find the weapons have a bit better weathering. The random weapons included in the crate allow you to make one of the alternate configuration indicated on the cards that comes with it- although I kind of wish they'd tell you what came with it- I have the Machine Guns, but still need the Grenade Launchers.

Thanks for reading this review- my friend just got some Therian unit boxes and I'll get him to write up a review for those as soon as we're done trading laser-rifle shots back and forth .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tries to carefully remove the torso from my Tacarms trooper and I DID break it. I ended up gluing the officer torso in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heng Wang
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
well, with TacArms, you really need the officer anyway- overwatch and cover!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.