Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll shamelessly taken from Gamefaqs.

Poll
When you're playing alone, do you talk?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
No, I stay completely silent while playing.
7.4% 23
Not really, other than swearing when things go wrong.
15.7% 49
A little, I chatter when playing.
41.0% 128
Yes, I regularly talk with the game I'm playing.
35.9% 112
Voters 312
This poll is now closed.   312 answers
Poll created by sixthecat
Closes: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed I talk a bit while playing boardgames, but when playing vid games I rarely say anything besides shouts of emotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T3X-LOM "Tex"
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that it helps me work through situations if I can run through the situation out loud. Plus, cursing at your bad luck or a game's AI/bots/automa is mandatory, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Where they make a desert, they call it peace.
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
I noticed I talk a bit while playing boardgames, but when playing vid games I rarely say anything besides shouts of emotion.

I talk while I play all the time, probably because I grew up an only child so it comes naturally. Only a problem when you start talking back to yourself!

Is not!

Is so!

Anyway got to go someone's trying to get me on the other line ...

(I find a running commentary fun, it helps me keep turn order straight, plan my moves and provide any necessary sound effects.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, of course I talk while I'm playing. I have to explain the plan to the little peeps on the board. You want them to read my mind or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't talk while playing.

Wait, who said that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vague accusations of cheating...

Oh, and swearing at any and all VPG's dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is quiet a timely entry. Before yesterday I would of said I don't talk during one player games but my wife asked me yesterday who I was talking to during a play test session. I am still unsure if I talk while playing a game or whether because this was a play test I was thinking out loud.

As an aside many years ago while asleep in bed, my wife said I sat bolt upright said something about taking that hill and promptly laid back down again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't but the bloke I play with he's always muttering through his turns, talking himself through his options and on occasion singing. That fella is soooo annoying... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Enjoy Life !
badge
Just do it!
I answered "yes, regularly...", but actually all four answers apply for me.
Sometimes I stay completely silent for hours, next day I'm talking all the time.
I'm quuite amused by myself when my AP-proneness leads to some long and interesting "discussions".
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
I do, I've tried to get into the habit of role playing in each game I play. I've found it increases my enjoyment as if I don't it ends up just being about the mechanics.

I talk a lot while I play which provides my wife with hours of laughter and enjoyment laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, especially when I play Arkham Horror or any other HPL-inspired game. It's nice when the audient void answers you back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually just in my head. Too lazy to open my mouth and produce actual sounds, I think.

I prefer my multiplayer games fairly quiet, too.
Except when I play online and have an in-game chat at my disposal. I've found that to be an enjoyable way of "talking" while playing. But even that is limited to a few special cases. Usually, it's either talk or play for me, not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed I mainly talk when someone else, like my wife, is around to hear it. I dunno, maybe I am narrating for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I talk to board games more than I talk to people.
More strategy = more talk. I find it help to openly talk about my options, it keeps my mind from trying to parse 8 possibilities at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes talk through my plans to myself, which sometimes reveals holes in them that I might not have noticed had I not done that or find solutions to problems I was having a brick wall with (Which... Not that unusual, actually. Explaining your problem to someone can work to solve it, even if that person is a cardboard cutout from a cigerette advertising campaign that your company got for the purpose of people explaining their problems to. I'm not sure how apocryphal the story is, but... Apparently Intel did it when figuring that a) programmers were needing to talk through issues they were having with another programmer when they had problems, but b) the act of talking through the problem was often solving the problem without input from the person they were taking away from their keyboard to talk through the problem with)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an observed fact that if your code doesn't work, explaining it to another person (who doesn't need to be there) will help you find your mistakes. It's very real.

Sometimes though, you need the other person to glance at it and tell you what the obvious error you have made is. You become so blind to your own mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On numerous occasions my wife has called me out for talking while playing a boardgame. I have to think through a rule or action and that involves talking through it. Plus, when Zulus are getting close to the brave British Soliders what we to do? Remain silent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm talking right now as I type this...

But yes, I do talk all the time. It's only a problem when I can't understand what I said...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, as my wife walks by, she is often confused by my never ending chatter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "Summer" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quiet when playing on old yellow in the living room with others watching. When in the war room though I often mumble what I am planning... a lot of if this then that and what about this mmmm,,, nope,,,,mmmmhmmmm.... Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I sound like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade while I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, as I was playing Feast of Odin just yesterday, I realized how much I talked to myself. I ponder over my AP and tell myself: "...just make a move.. make a move, any move... it doesn't matter... just experiment... just experiment... who cares. OK. Ya, ya, ya... that looks like a good move. Oh wait!" Then thoughts of Rahdo go through my head. I try to go back and fix something I screwed up. Then under my breath I'm saying: "Man this is going to be an embarrassing score to put up on the BGG... *sigh*."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think those who remain silent are the real crazy ones in this hobby, what with their concern about looking foolish in front of all the others whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Usually just in my head. Too lazy to open my mouth and produce actual sounds, I think.

I prefer my multiplayer games fairly quiet, too.
Except when I play online and have an in-game chat at my disposal. I've found that to be an enjoyable way of "talking" while playing. But even that is limited to a few special cases. Usually, it's either talk or play for me, not both.

I'm glad you wrote this, Kathrin! With all the talkers here I was feeling odd. What you wrote pretty much describes me, too. I do write down notes, but I don't talk (as far as I know) while playing solo.
In group games it depends on the group and the game. Some games lend themselves more to joking around while playing. Other games require more focus. I am happy to play a game without much talking going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I take lots of notes, too. Maybe that's what keeps me quiet. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.